• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

If someone ask's "Why do you carry"

amzbrady

If someone ask's "Why do you carry" or better yet "Why do you carry at home"?

We dont get to choose who lives in the houses around us. You never know what could happen, or who you will meet each day. I think in the situation below, and open carrier might have been a deterent, maybe not. I find it odd that the guy with the bat was less afraid of a guy with a shotgun, and didnt care until he found out police had been called.

What do you think, if someone approached you swinging a bat, would you pull the trigger? The bat guy must not have gotten too close he didnt hit the guy with that was holding the shotgun, maybe he was just putting on a show. Guess he's lucky the guy with the shotgun showed some restraint.

The lesson, A gun in the hand is worth, no bats on the brain. And if your a felon, "dont tell the police you will go home and get your gun".

Assault/3800 blk W 4[SUP]th[/SUP] Ave- Earlier in the shift, Officers responded to the location for a disturbance between neighbors, resulting from a vehicle window being broken after two brothers got into an argument. During the argument, one subject threw his brothers cell phone across the parking lot and it broke the windshield of his neighbors’ vehicle. He stated he would pay for the windshield and it was believed the incident was resolved. About an hour later, Dispatch received another call from the location advising of another disturbance involving a male with a baseball bat. Officers arrived and found a large group of subjects in the area, to include a male who was armed with a shotgun. Officers challenged the subject and he immediately complied and placed the shotgun on the ground. The investigation revealed the brothers were angry that the Police were called during the first incident so one armed himself with a baseball bat and was headed to assault his neighbors, family members of male with the shotgun. As the baseball bat carrying brother was approaching the male armed with a shotgun arrived in his vehicle. As he exited his vehicle the brother charged at him and began swinging the baseball bat at him. He was not involved in the first incident. Fearing for his brothers’ life, he armed himself with a shotgun and ordered him to stop or he would be shot. The bat carrying male began advancing on the other subject but fled when he heard the Police had been called. Suspecting that he fled to his brothers’ residence, Officers contacted him. He was confrontational with Officers but granted consent to search his residence for his brother. He was located hiding in the attic of the garage and was arrested without incident for an outstanding warrant, and aggravated assault. After he was arrested, his brother became very angry and began demanding that the subject with the shotgun be arrested for pointing his shotgun at them. He stated he should have got his gun. When told that the subject was not going to be arrested, he made numerous threats that he was going to take care of it himself. He made reference to his gun several times. As a result of his statements it was discovered that he is a convicted felon. The CAT team was called into assist, collected statements, obtained a search warrant for his residence and recovered his Springfield XD. He was arrested and booked for Felon in Possession of a Firearm. His brother was booked on his warrant and Assault 2[SUP]nd[/SUP]. Case forwarded to the PA to review for additional charges if any.

1911er

Stupid is as stupid does

There is A reason they are felons, they were not smart enough to get away with there original crime. And apparently they didn't get any smarter while serving there sentence.

Last edited:

Freedom First

At least he chose a nice handgun...

With all the car prowls and burglaries around here, he probably didn't buy it...

I assume criminals are somewhat illogical and/or stupid but it's the "normal" folks who leave a perfectly good (and probably loaded) handgun in an UNLOCKED car or their UNLOCKED garage that really drives me nuts.

protias

With all the car prowls and burglaries around here, he probably didn't buy it...

I assume criminals are somewhat illogical and/or stupid but it's the "normal" folks who leave a perfectly good (and probably loaded) handgun in an UNLOCKED car or their UNLOCKED garage that really drives me nuts.

I never said he bought it either. It was most likely stolen (other option is a straw purchase). If it was stolen out of a car, it was probably during the work day because the employer decided that unarmed and defenseless employees are much better to have than armed and prepared employees. It is hard to steal something that you can't get to.

Freedom First

I never said he bought it either. It was most likely stolen (other option is a straw purchase). If it was stolen out of a car, it was probably during the work day because the employer decided that unarmed and defenseless employees are much better to have than armed and prepared employees. It is hard to steal something that you can't get to.

Amzbrady and I both get the same local police Blotter every few days and it's chock full of car prowls and other annoying property crime in addition to real troubles...

amzbrady

Drives me nuts when I have to lock my firearm in my car, although I do always drop the mag and take that with me. I have yet to see a ban on loaded magazines.

Amzbrady and I both get the same local police Blotter every few days and it's chock full of car prowls and other annoying property crime in addition to real troubles...

I like how they highlight the "Unsecured" on the over half of the car prowls. I dont have anything of value in my cars, I never change stereos, always have the factory ones, so I just leave my doors unlocked so I dont become one of the over 25 vehicles that had their windows broken out. I'd rather lose a couple bucks in change than a window, and a couple bucks in change.

TechnoWeenie

Depends on how it's asked.

If it's an honest question, I'll answer it honestly...

Self defense, opportunities to educate, desensitization, etc.

If it's an anti, just trying to be a dick.. I return the favor..

:D

amzbrady

This is funny, this wasnt a question on "what do you say, when asked" "why do you carry". We have done that one a couple times.

I was just commenting on the violence we see more and more on a day to day basis. I copied an entry from the local police blotter. showing someone with a bat threatening someone with a shotgun. I think if this guy was open carry and open carry was more common, would the bat guy have been so quick to make an attempt to start swinging that bat in the first place. I think his aggression level probably went up after the shotgun was drawn and he felt more threatened.
My question was what would you do if someone came at you swinging?

(for the jokers, by swinging I meant swinging a bat, not offering to trade wifes). I felt I had to add this cause I figured I'd probably comment that way myself. :p