• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in the New Castle/Butler area?

Dreamer

I'm going to be vacationing (camping) in the New Castle/ Butler area for a couple weeks, and will be making several trips "into town" over that time to get groceries, supplies, and the occasional dinner out at restaurants.

I was wondering if there is anything I need to be aware of in this area. How are local LEOs about OC? Are there any weird laws about OC in certain venues (restaurants, theaters, etc) that I need to know about?

Thanks in advance...

badey

I'm going to be vacationing (camping) in the New Castle/ Butler area for a couple weeks, and will be making several trips "into town" over that time to get groceries, supplies, and the occasional dinner out at restaurants.

I was wondering if there is anything I need to be aware of in this area. How are local LEOs about OC? Are there any weird laws about OC in certain venues (restaurants, theaters, etc) that I need to know about?

Thanks in advance...

Your experience may vary, but the LEO in New Castle are generally respectful of OC rights. I don't know about Butler.

If you are camping in a state park, you are not allowed to OC there, unless you are hunting and have a valid PA hunting license. CC, with a PA LTCF, or reciprocal permit is allowed in state parks.

Steeler-gal

I thought parks couldn't preempt state law? Is that wrong?

==========================================
NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer
Teaching classes in Lorton VA & Springfield VA
PM me if you need a class, RSO or safety briefing

badey

I thought parks couldn't preempt state law? Is that wrong?

==========================================
NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer
Teaching classes in Lorton VA & Springfield VA
PM me if you need a class, RSO or safety briefing

State parks are run by a state agency, and as such they are not governed by preemption. Only cities, municipalities, and counties are prevented from making firearms regulations.

There is a question since HB 40 passed, which supposedly prevents the DCNR from enforcing firerams laws, but the DCNR still maintains that they have the right to enforce firearms laws... The only way to know for sure would be to have a test case, and I don't want to be it.....

Dreamer

I was camping in a private campground, at an "historical reenactment" event, so carry on site wasn't really practical.

But carry when off-site (town runs for groceries and supplies, and the occasional "dinner out") was, in my mind, mandatory...

I have a PA non-res permit, as well as UT and NC permits. In deference to some of my friends (who are a little squeamish about firearms) I CC'd most of the time when off site during the event.

But for the road trip to and from the event, I OCed. At least until I got close to the MD state line, and then I had to pull over, unload and lock it up for the time I was transporting it through the PRM.

Since I was CCing most of the time in PA, I had no problems, because most of the time nobody knew I was carrying. Perhaps next year, I will be more bold, and will be able to convince my friends that OC is a good idea...