• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Illinois

WCEarp

One- self defense forums across the internet are erupting with posts over this right now.

Two- I am glad to see that the last anti-CCW bastion has fallen.

Lastly- A part of me hopes that it does go to the Supreme Court. I know that it might be dangerous waters for the 2A, but I could easily see them agreeing with the lower courts. Imagine what that would do if the law of the land said that RKBA applies outside of the home.

OC for ME

Everyone knows that the RKBA applies outside the home. It has taken a while to get a court to rule that way. Hard to defend yourself and loved ones outside the home with anything other than a firearm.

Redbaron007

Everyone knows that the RKBA applies outside the home. It has taken a while to get a court to rule that way. Hard to defend yourself and loved ones outside the home with anything other than a firearm.

I agree......those holsters for bricks are a pain in the "#2*!"....especially the IWB ones. :lol:

I'm hoping that with the 7th District court referencing Heller and McDonald, the AG for IL will forgo the appeal to the SCOTUS. With this comes the problems of getting a CC bill that is very restrictive for the citizens of IL to obtain, except through political channels. If the Reps outside of Chicago can form a strong alliance and them convert a few Chicago reps, they have a good chance of getting a descent bill. I know, I'm dreaming a little. :)

WalkingWolf

I agree......those holsters for bricks are a pain in the "#2*!"....especially the IWB ones. :lol:

I'm hoping that with the 7th District court referencing Heller and McDonald, the AG for IL will forgo the appeal to the SCOTUS. With this comes the problems of getting a CC bill that is very restrictive for the citizens of IL to obtain, except through political channels. If the Reps outside of Chicago can form a strong alliance and them convert a few Chicago reps, they have a good chance of getting a descent bill. I know, I'm dreaming a little. :)

I hope they cannot pass any bill and in six months Illinois will have constitutional carry by order of the courts.

Superlite27

Dreaming?

Not at all. The problem rests on getting downstate politicians to realize that they now hold all the cards. Unfortunately, even you have succumbed to the tendency to "hope for a good CCW bill" to come from this.

Don't feel bad. The majority of comments I've been seeing on most gun boards seem to echo this wish.

If Illinois fails to pass CCW legislation in 180 days, carry becomes unrestricted. There seems to be some apprehension that Madigan will appeal and, somehow, this ruling will be reversed.

Remember, this is a Federal Appeals Court decision. In order to reverse this ruling, a Federal court would have to decide that a Constitutionally protected right, that has been incorporated by a majority of states, DOES NOT APPLY OUTSIDE THE HOME.

Federal. This reversal would affect all states.

Therefore, what do you think the chances of an appeal that would effectively nullify established CCW laws in 49 other states would be?

I'm guessing snowball/hell.

And yet, I'm guessing Madigan will soon be launching gobs of Illinoisian's tax money down this fiery hole.

For decades, anti-gun Illinois politicians have been stomping on CCW legislation. Now that the threat of unrestricted carry looms, LET THE FLIP-FLOPPING BEGIN!

Suddenly, I forsee all those that were against CCW.......will now be the biggest supporters of some form of CCW bill being passed.

If pro-2A Illinois legislators are worth their salt, they will put the kibosh to any of it. ("Hey! You Chicago politicians were all against any CCW bills, remember?")

However, I don't forsee this happening. BUT (and this is a big "BUT") Hopefully Illinois Pro-2A politicians will see that they are in the driver's seat and they can force "shall issue", campus carry, full pre-emption, and any other tiny detail they wish........or simply let the 180 days go by and "TA-DA!".....unrestricted carry.

So, if Illinois gets some namby-pamby, super strict, B*!! $#!T CCW laws at the end of everything, it will be because these supposed "pro-2A" politicians aren't as pro-2A as they say they are.

Oramac

Dreaming?

Not at all. The problem rests on getting downstate politicians to realize that they now hold all the cards. Unfortunately, even you have succumbed to the tendency to "hope for a good CCW bill" to come from this.

Don't feel bad. The majority of comments I've been seeing on most gun boards seem to echo this wish.

If Illinois fails to pass CCW legislation in 180 days, carry becomes unrestricted. There seems to be some apprehension that Madigan will appeal and, somehow, this ruling will be reversed.

Remember, this is a Federal Appeals Court decision. In order to reverse this ruling, a Federal court would have to decide that a Constitutionally protected right, that has been incorporated by a majority of states, DOES NOT APPLY OUTSIDE THE HOME.

Therefore, what do you think the chances of an appeal that would effectively nullify established CCW laws in 49 other states would be?

And yet, I'm guessing Madigan will soon be launching gobs of Illinoisian's tax money down this fiery hole.

For decades, anti-gun Illinois politicians have been stomping on CCW legislation. Now that the threat of unrestricted carry looms, LET THE FLIP-FLOPPING BEGIN!

Suddenly, I forsee all those that were against CCW.......will now be the biggest supporters of some form of CCW bill being passed.

If pro-2A Illinois legislators are worth their salt, they will put the kibosh to any of it. ("Hey! You Chicago politicians were all against any CCW bills, remember?")

However, I don't forsee this happening. BUT (and this is a big "BUT") Hopefully Illinois Pro-2A politicians will see that they are in the driver's seat and they can force "shall issue", campus carry, full pre-emption, and any other tiny detail they wish........or simply let the 180 days go by and "TA-DA!".....unrestricted carry.

So, if Illinois gets some namby-pamby, super strict, B*!! $#!T CCW laws at the end of everything, it will be because these supposed "pro-2A" politicians aren't as pro-2A as they say they are.

Wow. I like the way you think! Here's hoping they get smart and hold it in limbo for 180 days!!!

OC for ME

There is no exception for CC in the Illini Constitution. This is the time where every pro-2A citizen in the Illini State must contact their state rep and demand that they do nothing for a change. Anything more than sitting on their hands must be viewed as a valid reason for voting them out of office the next election cycle.

Redbaron007

Dreaming?

I don't think any appeal would be reversed; however, if the AG appealed, they can request a stay until it's heard, if they accept it. The key is the delay....giving the Chicago politicians enough time to work their system of political control over the rest of the state.

I agree, if the 2A reps stand solid...Chicago reps will be out of the loop. But....Chicago politicians don't play nicely, so you never know what they will pull out of their hat/arse to persuade others to follow them. The key is for those who voted for the CCW last session....stand their ground now.

My preference would be for there to be gridlock and the 180 goes flying by...then no permit! :monkey

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
Anyone want odds on a bet?

I am taking them on a "may issue" bill, not a shall issue bill like commieforina.

After this last election, placing any level of hope on reasonable behavior is forever gone.

The optimist may indeed believe something reasonable will come out of PRIL in the next 200 days, but other than a lot of taxpayer money, another BS story and then chicago politics will again flaunt their abilities to ignore the constitution as they did after McDonald.

peterarthur

The best part is:

""They have 180 days to enact a carry law, or else there is no prohibition on carrying a gun. There's not much else to argue about," said Vandermyde. "If they won't pass a bill . . . then you could walk down the street with a rifle slung over your back and there's nothing they can do about it.""

Constitutional Carry in Illinois is in sight if they would just drop the ball :)

WalkingWolf

The best part is:

""They have 180 days to enact a carry law, or else there is no prohibition on carrying a gun. There's not much else to argue about," said Vandermyde. "If they won't pass a bill . . . then you could walk down the street with a rifle slung over your back and there's nothing they can do about it.""

Constitutional Carry in Illinois is in sight if they would just drop the ball :)
Somebody better warn Obama that the walls in the white house are not drywall. Maybe Michelle should buy him a stress ball when the six months is up.

Superlite27

A part of me hopes that it does go to the Supreme Court. I know that it might be dangerous waters for the 2A, but I could easily see them agreeing with the lower courts. Imagine what that would do if the law of the land said that RKBA applies outside of the home.

It already does. The 7th CCOA just said so.

Any appeal made now can only result (however unlikely) in one change to the above sentence. The opposite.

Doing so would result in the Supreme Court ruling that the Second Amendment does not apply outside the home. This would overturn the 7th CCOA's ruling, thereby invalidating 49 other state's established CCW laws.

What do you think the likelihood of that would be? Florida just exceeded the 1,000,000 mark on CCW permits. I'm sure there are millions more nationwide. While the ramifications wouldn't be as detrimental or serious, overturning this ruling would be similar to invalidating driver's licenses nationwide. (It wouldn't automatically do so, it would just give the states the green light.)

Not gonna happen.

Last edited: