• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

PDs Beg And Barter For Ammo While DHS Buys Up 1.6 Billion Rounds In Past Year

WalkingWolf

My last purchase of 45 ACP brass came from police dept ranges. Surely they can afford some equipment to reload, but then I would rather they sell it to me.

OC for ME

I think that your average LEO is very much like your average gun owner. Reloading is too much work and too time consuming. I do not reload, but my brother in-law does and I bring him the expended brass and chip in on the remaining components and consumables. I purchase new and bring home reloads after a trip to South Carolina. Very comfortable arrangement for me and he.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I think that your average LEO is very much like your average gun owner. Reloading is too much work and too time consuming. I do not reload, but my brother in-law does and I bring him the expended brass and chip in on the remaining components and consumables. I purchase new and bring home reloads after a trip to South Carolina. Very comfortable arrangement for me and he.

But we all know that reloading ammo will just be used to convince the jury that the PD was looking to kill somebody.

Oh, wait!

They were, weren't they?

Seriously, the liability issues about a LEO getting hurt from a department-reloaded round make the legs of tile crawlers withing a 200-mile radius get all tingly. But remanufactured ammo is always "good to go".

Back in the days before there was dirt, many PDs saved their brass (except the stuff they used to shoot folks with, which was a whole lot less back then) and shipped it to remanufacturers who used it in ammo they made up and sold to the PD at some discount for having brought their own brass.

stay safe.

WalkingWolf

But we all know that reloading ammo will just be used to convince the jury that the PD was looking to kill somebody.

Oh, wait!

They were, weren't they?

Seriously, the liability issues about a LEO getting hurt from a department-reloaded round make the legs of tile crawlers withing a 200-mile radius get all tingly. But remanufactured ammo is always "good to go".

Back in the days before there was dirt, many PDs saved their brass (except the stuff they used to shoot folks with, which was a whole lot less back then) and shipped it to remanufacturers who used it in ammo they made up and sold to the PD at some discount for having brought their own brass.

stay safe.
We also used to drive our cars for years, and repair them instead of getting a new one every year.

SFCRetired

We also used to drive our cars for years, and repair them instead of getting a new one every year.
We also used to be able to repair our cars. Dad's tool kit for his '49 Chevrolet consisted of a pair of pliers, a common and a Phillips screwdriver, a book of matches, and a dime. Only time he ever needed more was the day the timing gear (made of some type of fiber) stripped.

Points to all you old codgers if you remember what the book of matches and the dime were for.

Friend of mine here in Montgomery is telling me that components for reloading, especially primers, are getting scarce also.

fighting_for_freedom

Dad's tool kit for his '49 Chevrolet consisted of a pair of pliers, a common and a Phillips screwdriver, a book of matches, and a dime. .

Ya missed the most important part of a mechanic's toolbox. The hammer. Bigger is better.

On the topic of ammo - I was in our local gun store looking for .490 round ball for my .50 sidelock, and the shelves were nearly bare. Not a .22 nor a .45 in sight. Just a handful of shotgun shells, and some rare odds and ends. I used to be able to go in there and buy 1000+ rounds without even denting their stock.

I reload my own shotshells and .45 LC, still need to pick up some dies for my rifles and other handgun calibers. But I did try to buy .45 lead the other day - couldn't find a single stinking bucket of it anywhere. Nobody's got anything, looks like. I'm gonna be shooting pebbles with flour for powder, if it keeps going like this.

SFCRetired

Points and valve lash.

Half right. The dime was used to set the points and the spark plug gap. Valve lash was usually done as part of a major tune up. Dad always changed the points, the plugs, rebuilt the carburetor, checked the brakes for wear, and set the valve lash as a part of his major tune up. Valve lash on most cars was quite a bit less than the thickness of a dime.

Btw, the only time I remember that '49 Chevy leaving us stranded was when a timing gear stripped. Those things were made of some sort of composite material that lasted for years and years. But, when it did go, you walked until you could replace that gear.

SFCRetired

Used to be that way...I don't think its like that anymore ... IMO ...

With the exception of some rural and very small town LEAs, you're right on the money. For whatever reason, the increased militarization of many LEAs has led to a "them vs. us" mentality in which even law-abiding citizens are viewed with a healthy amount of suspicion.

On the other side of the coin, the proliferation of stories found on the internet exposing police abuse have tended to make a large number of citizens very cautious, to say the least, about any interaction with police. This feeds the mutual distrust, which, IMNSHO, is just what those in power want. Ever heard the mantra, "Divide and conquer"?

There is another anomaly I am aware of but cannot pin down the source of it, and that is the tendency of far too many in law enforcement and other government agencies, from the local all the way up to the federal level, to completely disregard the entire Constitution, not just the Bill of Rights. Where did this come from? How can it be reversed? Inquiring minds want to know!

Please do not take my comments as "cop-bashing" or use them as an excuse for the same. Not all agencies or individual officers are possessed of this mindset.

johnfenter

Also....

A dime was also used to set rear axle end play for a Chrysler 8.75", and the 1970's "silent chain" Mopar timing set had a similar problem with nylon teeth on the cam gear; the teeth would break off, and the chain would "jump a tooth", rendering the car useless. We always replaced it with an all-steel timing set. And yes, the dime is just about a .035" gapping tool for plugs; valve lash went away in the late 60s with the intro of hydraulic lifters.

Half right. The dime was used to set the points and the spark plug gap. Valve lash was usually done as part of a major tune up. Dad always changed the points, the plugs, rebuilt the carburetor, checked the brakes for wear, and set the valve lash as a part of his major tune up. Valve lash on most cars was quite a bit less than the thickness of a dime.

Btw, the only time I remember that '49 Chevy leaving us stranded was when a timing gear stripped. Those things were made of some sort of composite material that lasted for years and years. But, when it did go, you walked until you could replace that gear.

SFCRetired

A dime was also used to set rear axle end play for a Chrysler 8.75", and the 1970's "silent chain" Mopar timing set had a similar problem with nylon teeth on the cam gear; the teeth would break off, and the chain would "jump a tooth", rendering the car useless. We always replaced it with an all-steel timing set. And yes, the dime is just about a .035" gapping tool for plugs; valve lash went away in the late 60s with the intro of hydraulic lifters.

Now, you are making me feel old!