• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

LEOs running serial numbers

DamonK

I'm trying to find the case law that makes LEOs running your serial number at a traffic stop illegal. Kind of having a brain fart today though. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

EMNofSeattle

I don't think the act of running a serial number is in and of itself illegal... it would be like any other search, depending upon consent and/or probable cause of a crime to conduct said search....

some cursory research came up with Hicks v. Arizona a SCOTUS ruling involving some police officers who entered an apartment due to someone firing shots from said apartment and after arresting the occupants and securing the guns an officer wrote down serial numbers on a stereo and found them to be stolen, charging the apartment occupants with possession of stolen property. that conviction was overturned on the basis that the stereo had nothing to do with the warrantless entry into the apartment as they already secured the shooter and weapons.

I suppose that could be applied to a gun since during a traffic stop if you're lawfully carrying the gun is not evidence of a traffic violation. but it's a stretch

MKEgal

DamonK said:
I'm trying to find the case law that makes LEOs running your serial number at a traffic stop illegal.
You'll want to look for 4A case law (search & seizure), because taking the pistol is a seizure and running the serial # is a search.
If it's not connected to the reason they stopped you (tail light out, ran a red light) they have to either get your permission for a search or seizure, or have a warrant (not likely), or have RAS of a crime (and several circuits have ruled that simply possessing a firearm, in states where such is legal, is not RAS).

There's a Volokh blog post on the topic:
http://www.volokh.com/2009/10/01/po...simply-because-hes-openly-carrying-a-handgun/

"Mr. St. John’s lawful possession of a loaded firearm in a crowded place could not, by itself, create a reasonable suspicion sufficient to justify an investigatory detention."
St. John v. McColley

The Third Circuit found that an individual’s lawful possession of a firearm in a crowded place did not justify a search or seizure.
United States v. Ubiles (3rd Cir. 2000)

The Tenth Circuit found that an investigatory detention initiated by an officer after he discovered that the defendant lawfully possessed a loaded firearm lacked sufficient basis because the firearm alone did not create a reasonable suspicion of criminal activity.
United States v. King (10th Cir. 1993)

"The Claim and exercise of a Constitutional Right cannot be converted into a crime."
Miller v. U.S.

"The mere presence of firearms does not create exigent circumstances."
WI v. Kiekhefer

F350

I don't think the act of running a serial number is in and of itself illegal... it would be like any other search, depending upon consent and/or probable cause of a crime to conduct said search....

some cursory research came up with Hicks v. Arizona a SCOTUS ruling involving some police officers who entered an apartment due to someone firing shots from said apartment and after arresting the occupants and securing the guns an officer wrote down serial numbers on a stereo and found them to be stolen, charging the apartment occupants with possession of stolen property. that conviction was overturned on the basis that the stereo had nothing to do with the warrantless entry into the apartment as they already secured the shooter and weapons.

I suppose that could be applied to a gun since during a traffic stop if you're lawfully carrying the gun is not evidence of a traffic violation. but it's a stretch

I think you are missing the most salient point of Hicks; the stereo equipment was "in plain view" and the officers attempted to use the "plain sight exemption" to run the serial numbers. EXCEPT the court ruled that since the equipment had to be moved to see the serial numbers, the numbers were not in plain view and required probable cause/warrant to conduct a search, invalidating the arrest.

Held:
http://www.law.cornell.edu/supremecourt/text/480/321

1. The policeman's actions come within the purview of the Fourth Amendment. The mere recording of the serial numbers did not constitute a "seizure" since it did not meaningfully interfere with respondent's possessory interest in either the numbers or the stereo equipment. However, the moving of the equipment was a "search" separate and apart from the search that was the lawful objective of entering the apartment. The fact that the search uncovered nothing of great personal value to respondent is irrelevant. Pp. 324-325.

I think many cops take a firearm as a matter of standard practice for chickensh..... er I mean "officer" safety (permitted in the law here in Colorado) then use the plain sight exemption to run the serial numbers. Below is an e-mail exchange I had with BATFE...

Sent: Sunday, September 09, 2012 7:01 PM
To: FIPB Regulatory Email inquiries
Subject: Obscured serial number

Some buddies and I are having a rather heated discussion about this....

If I were to put a piece of black tape over the serial number of my CCW handgun (1911 style) would that constitute "obscuring" the serial number and be illegal? The serial number is in no way defaced, altered or removed, all you have to do to see the serial number is remove the tape. If this does constitute obscuring then isn't every S&W shipped with the large grips which cover the serial number on the butt illegal? There are a number of after market products that cover the serial number, would that be illegal? If not but the tape is what is the difference?

Thank You

Bob

FIPB Regulatory Email inquiries <FIPB@atf.gov>
9/19/12

to me
This is in response to your email to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF). In your email, you wanted to know if covering a serial number of a firearm with tape be constituted as obscuring.

Under Federal law, it shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to transport, ship, or receive, in interstate or foreign commerce, any firearm which has had the importer's or manufacturer's serial number removed,
obliterated, or altered, or to possess or receive any firearm which has had the importer's or manufacturer's serial number removed, obliterated, or altered and has, at any time, been shipped or transported
in interstate or foreign commerce.

Merely, attaching black tape to a firearms serial number does not constitute a violation of Federal law.

Should you have additional questions, please contact your local ATF office. A listing of ATF office phone numbers can be found at: http://www.atf.gov/field.

Regards,

Firearms Industry Programs Branch, ATF

So; as the e-mail says I have a piece of black tape over the serial number on my carry piece; will it stop LEO from running the number if he wants? NO. BUT it will make him cross a "red line" and if it goes that far one more "violation" in a 42 USC 1983 suit, or at the least a constitutional rights violation in a letter of complaint to internal affairs.

Last edited:

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
........ I have a piece of black tape over the serial number on my carry piece.........

I, too, have a small piece of electrical tape covering the serial number on my EDC. If it is removed (seized) "for officer safety" and the tape is taken off that would be an unlawful search.

Difdi

A piece of security tape that reads VOID when it's removed would be a nice touch!

There are different grades of adhesives too. Would it be too smartass to have a very solidly stuck-on sticker with the words "get a warrant" over the serial number, with an easier to remove bit of tape stuck over it? So long as the under layer is removable without damaging the engraved serial number, it shouldn't count as defacing...

rapgood

Incorrect.

I think you are missing the most salient point of Hicks; the stereo equipment was "in plain view" and the officers attempted to use the "plain sight exemption" to run the serial numbers. EXCEPT the court ruled that since the equipment had to be moved to see the serial numbers, the numbers were not in plain view and required probable cause/warrant to conduct a search, invalidating the arrest.
Correct (although the legal concept is "plain view exception"). This scenario raises the question of whether the handgun was lawfully seized at the onset. In order for LEO to seize the handgun for "officer safety," arguably there must be more than the mere possibility that the owner "could have" used the weapon. There must be some evidence that the owner actually created a clear and present threat to the safety of others. There mere lawful possession of the weapon is not sufficient to entail that clear and present danger. I believe that the majority of times that LEO seize a weapon "for their own safety," they do so in violation of BOR 2 Am and 4 Am, and Art. I, sects. 3 and 24 of the WA Const.

Difdi

In order for LEO to seize the handgun for "officer safety," arguably there must be more than the mere possibility that the owner "could have" used the weapon.

A person COULD use his bare hands to attack an officer. He COULD use his feet to kick. He COULD use his teeth to bite. None of these COULDs justify putting everyone police talk to into full handcuffs, manacles and facemask. Humans kill other humans with their bare hands (sometimes with a single punch) every year. So why is seizure of a holstered firearm based on what a citizen COULD do allowed?

For that matter, a police officer could snap under the pressure of the job (which they always assure us is very hard and stressful) and start shooting everyone he sees. He's certainly well-equipped to do so. Does the fact that he COULD do that justify anything? Why not?

Double standards annoy me.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
simple solution is to make the part of the gun that usually has a serial # yourself .. ie make your own gun.

You need not affix a serial # to a homemade gun.

Then what they gonna run?

Vitaeus

The other part to "running the serial number " is that it requires at the least an "investigative detention". You are no longer free to go if the LEO has your rather expensive firearm, unless there is some reasonable suspicion of a crime relating to the firearm, this is most definitely a both a seizure and a search.

http://www.find-laws.com/courtcases/view/washington-167-wn2d-656-state-v-harrington

For anyone that does not already know of a valuable resource, here it is again

"The Law Enforcement Digest is prepared by Ms. Shannon Inglis of the Washington State Attorney General's Office as a service to criminal justice practitioners. Each month Ms. Inglis selects court cases she feels are significant to the law enforcement community."

articles from the State Attorney General's Office on how LEO should operate based on cited cases and decisions.

https://fortress.wa.gov/cjtc/www/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=137&Itemid=80

hermannr

The whole encounter with LE should be based on one question: "Are you suspected of a CRIME?" (or criminal activity) IF you are suspected of criminal activity, then LE has a reasonable reason to disarm you. If the stop is only for a traffic VIOLATION (not a CRIME) there is absolutely no reason for them (or you) to even bring your carry into the discussion.

In 43 years, I have never been asked for my carry, or my CPL. I have also never been accused of any CRIME. As I OC almost all the time (weather is the only reason it may be concealed), and I know it has been seen (Skagit Co Sheriff's deputy..."nice gun, what is it?"), I believe my understanding of the laws involved are correct.

IF LE were to ask for my carry, I would simply refuse, and point out...while in it's holster, my carry is a danger to no-one. Once out of it's holster, the trigger can be accessed, and it becomes a danger to anyone in range.

hermannr

I'm trying to find the case law that makes LEOs running your serial number at a traffic stop illegal. Kind of having a brain fart today though. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

You could look at Delaware V Prouse. A stop just to check for a license for a licensed activity is a no-no

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Just [I]requires all kinds of tools [/I]I don't have, but the aspect of ,having a gun you made yourself certainly has a pride factor to itin addition to no records being kept

WRONG ANSWER!!
I can finish an 80% lower with nothing more than a drill press. A cheap US$50 drill press and a bit of patience is all that is required. I have several ARs with NO roll marks. It makes them look better without all those little words and numbers all over the place.

Last edited:

EMNofSeattle

WRONG ANSWER!!
I can finish an 80% lower with nothing more than a drill press. A cheap US$50 drill press and a bit of patience is all that is required. I have several ARs with NO roll marks. It makes them look better without all those little words and numbers all over the place.

Really? I always thought it required either a CNC machine or a tool shop with a skilled machinist...

guess i'm going to go order an 80 percet lower now :)

Last edited: