• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I-594 Prompts Museum to Return Guns

Dave_pro2a

Wait a second, this story is impossible.

Our know-it-all Primus said cops would NOT enforce this law. So what is the museum worried about?

Primus

Wait a second, this story is impossible.

Our know-it-all Primus said cops would NOT enforce this law. So what is the museum worried about?
What part of the law does this violate? Storage? Can you cite the section they say it violates?

OC for ME

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/...n-museum-to-remove-WWII-rifles-283197591.html

Read the freaking law!!...the museum clearly thinks the law will be enforced even onto them in spite of what Calkins, or any other I-594 suporter, says.

From the bill/law.
(17) "Person" means any individual, corporation, company, association, firm, partnership, club, organization, society, joint stock company, or other legal entity.

(25) "Transfer" means the intended delivery of a firearm to another person without consideration of payment or promise of payment including, but not limited to, gifts and loans.
Storage is not mentioned and is actually irrelevant. Who cares how you store the gun once you possess it, we are only concerned that you are cleared to possess the gun. The museum clearly does not trust Calkins, and his ilk, to abide by his "promise" to not enforce this law on persons "loaning" guns to each other.

Primus

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/...n-museum-to-remove-WWII-rifles-283197591.html

Read the freaking law!!...the museum clearly thinks the law will be enforced even onto them in spite of what Calkins, or any other I-594 suporter, says.

From the bill/law.Storage is not mentioned and is actually irrelevant. Who cares how you store the gun once you possess it, we are only concerned that you are cleared to possess the gun. The museum clearly does not trust Calkins, and his ilk, to abide by his "promise" to not enforce this law on persons "loaning" guns to each other.

Ok OC I'll try with you instead.

What part does mere possession violate? Its a museum. So I'm assuming the guns are just sitting there. There is no transferring or passing around.

Are you referring to the fact the guns are on loan from private collectors? Is it that someone would be afraid by returning the loaned gun they would need to do a background check on the actually owner/loaner to get his own guns back?

Dave_pro2a

What part does mere possession violate? Its a museum. So I'm assuming the guns are just sitting there. There is no transferring or passing around.

Are you referring to the fact the guns are on loan from private collectors? Is it that someone would be afraid by returning the loaned gun they would need to do a background check on the actually owner/loaner to get his own guns back?

The museum likely hired a real lawyer to give them a written legal opinion about how the law should be enforced.

You know, something every state official has refused to do.

OC for ME

The language does not mention storage (did a word search, no results). The museum is not in a position (financially) to challenge the law to keep some WWII guns until May of next year. Even if they wanted to, the decision would likely be long after the exhibit is over. They will not take any chances.

The museum's lawyer told them w/o a BC they are in violation of the law as he/they read it. There is no other conclusion to be made unless a court says (rewrites) otherwise. The language is clear in spite of what Calkins says. A cautious citizen will read it and abide by the plain language in the law. Untill a timeframe for "borrow" which is not used in the law "loan" is, is defined then any "transfer" in the plain usage of the word (from A to B) must be applied.

IANAL YMMV

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Why is the museum worried? Call them and ask.
Maybe this part.................
State Attorney General Bob Ferguson tells the newspaper that he can't interpret the law for specific situations.

or this................
State Attorney General Bob Ferguson said he had not formed an opinion on the initiative and could not interpret it for specific situations.

“To date, there have not been any lawsuits filed against I-594, nor has our office received any opinion requests,” Ferguson said in a statement to The Bellingham Herald. The attorney general may issue an opinion on a legal question if certain state leaders or county prosecuting attorneys request one.

“At this point we have no interpretations of the initiative to offer to the public beyond the text of the measure itself,”

I guess we won't know what is legal until after we have been arrested. (channeling pelosi)

This is like jumping out of a plane and then thinking about a parachute. How do you stop this runaway train until saner minds can appeal?

The Truth

To say not to worry about the law because "cops won't enforce illogical laws" has got to be one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read. How obtuse and short-sighted can a person possibly be to make such an insanely ignorant statement? The law makes explicit statements and explicitly defines terms. There is no arguing that.

mikeyb

To say not to worry about the law because "cops won't enforce illogical laws" has got to be one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read. How obtuse and short-sighted can a person possibly be to make such an insanely ignorant statement? The law makes explicit statements and explicitly defines terms. There is no arguing that.

It depends on what the definition of "is" is, Bob. :banghead:

Dave_pro2a

As usual you are commenting on something that you have not taken the time to even read. From the article:
http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/ar...ts-Lynden-museum-to-remove-rifles-5903332.php

The museum is not concerned about their current possession of the firearms. They are concerned about the transfers that will have to occur when the exhibit ends.

Which they have been advised will be required -- on a loan. Because under new law loan has been redefined as transfer.

Prime Us for being screwed.

Primus

I'll leave this here... Pay attention to second part of my above post.

As usual you are commenting on something that you have not taken the time to even read. From the article:
http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/ar...ts-Lynden-museum-to-remove-rifles-5903332.php

The museum is not concerned about their current possession of the firearms. They are concerned about the transfers that will have to occur when the exhibit ends.

Dave_pro2a

I'll leave this here... Pay attention to second part of my above post.

The implication is, the law will be vigorously enforced... because...

The law passed this month with 59 percent of the vote.

You do realize that's nearly a supermajority. Naw, you probably don't.

Some people and organizations won't want to deal with all the legal BS, obviously this museum doesn't.

Last edited:

The Truth

Seriously, do people think these business are not going to have one of their lawyers also read the law? Primus did you really think that LE are the only ones paying any attention, and that businesses affected would not do everything possible to minimize liability and hold themselves accountable for what the law explicitly states?

59%. How. Did. This. Happen.

Primus

Seriously, do people think these business are not going to have one of their lawyers also read the law? Primus did you really think that LE are the only ones paying any attention, and that businesses affected would not do everything possible to minimize liability and hold themselves accountable for what the law explicitly states?

59%. How. Did. This. Happen.
Are you attempting to engage me in legitimate reasoned dialogue? If so I'll glaldly response with what is my humble opinion on the matter. If its an attempt to troll like several others keep doing then let me know I'll save my time responding with a full opinion.