• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Arts, Beats & Eats Noted in "America's 1st Freedom) (NRA

TheQ

The NRA noted the events of ABE in this month's "America's 1st Freedom" magazine on Page 21:

The Royal Oak, Mich., city commission reversed plans to ban firearms from a Labor Day festival because the plan would violate state law. The city amended a contract with the Ford Arts, Beats & Eats festival organizers to delete the statement "no firearms permitted on the festival premises." Several gun-rights supporters attended recent city commission meetings expressing their concern that the gun ban violates Michigan firearm preemption laws.

No mention of any organized efforts or any organizations.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
The NRA noted the events of ABE in this month's "America's 1st Freedom" magazine on Page 21:

No mention of any organized efforts or any organizations.

Of course not, our BIG BRO the NRA wouldn't want to appear to be sitting on the side lines FAT LAZY & STUPID now would he. (I'm a member) It would be nice to see them get more involved in this kind of effort by cities to strip us of our rights! Just saying...NRA GOOD....On this issue MOC BEST!

DanM

Of course not, our BIG BRO the NRA wouldn't want to appear to be sitting on the side lines FAT LAZY & STUPID now would he.

I'm not a member of the NRA and never have been. I see the NRA as leading in reforming federal and state gun laws, mostly in organized and well-funded lobbying of legislators. They help get the important laws enacted, or the bad laws struck down. I see "grass roots" guys like us as being the boots on the ground and using the legislative reforms that are products of NRA activity as weapons to destroy, in piecemeal fashion, threats to RKBA either in front of city commissions and councils or in court.

The NRA works at the 30,000-foot level, and you don't see them so much get bogged down in small local issues. You see us grass roots guys working at the 300-foot level with local issues, and we don't work as much at the higher levels of federal and state-wide lobbying. It's somewhat symbiotic. I see us as needing the NRA and the other big lobbying and funding organizations, and they need us. They make the weapons and shape the battlefield, and we implement the weapons and take advantage of the shape of the battlefield. All of this being necessary to defense and expansion of the RKBA.

NHCGRPR45

I'm not a member of the NRA and never have been. I see the NRA as leading in reforming federal and state gun laws, mostly in organized and well-funded lobbying of legislators. They help get the important laws enacted, or the bad laws struck down. I see "grass roots" guys like us as being the boots on the ground and using the legislative reforms that are products of NRA activity as weapons to destroy, in piecemeal fashion, threats to RKBA either in front of city commissions and councils or in court.

The NRA works at the 30,000-foot level, and you don't see them so much get bogged down in small local issues. You see us grass roots guys working at the 300-foot level with local issues, and we don't work as much at the higher levels of federal and state-wide lobbying. It's somewhat symbiotic. I see us as needing the NRA and the other big lobbying and funding organizations, and they need us. They make the weapons and shape the battlefield, and we implement the weapons and take advantage of the shape of the battlefield. All of this being necessary to defense and expansion of the RKBA.

yes thats the way it seems. but it would have been nice to get a mention as a group. and so far this system has worked, mostly. remember the 94 crime bill? sure it had a expiration date, but still. and something worse is in the works already. the UN treaty on small arms. granted, it would have to be ratified by our own congress but we should do everything we can to keep from getting that far.

DanM

yes thats the way it seems. but it would have been nice to get a mention as a group.

Maybe they're still trying to figure out if all these pro-gun grass roots groups popping up, like us, are a threat to their enrollment and contribution streams, and until then no "free advertising" for us on their website. :)

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Ding, Ding, Ding, DanM Nails it again!

Maybe they're still trying to figure out if all these pro-gun grass roots groups popping up, like us, are a threat to their enrollment and contribution streams, and until then no "free advertising" for us on their website. :)

+1 Sir!

I am going to send them a letter stating that: I am considering downgrading my membership or even withdrawing it unless they are publicly supportive of the grassroots!

Sadly, $$$ does make the world go around these days. It seems to be the only thing that gets the universal attention of those in leadership roles in government, & Policy groups such as the NRA.

NHCGRPR45

as far as it goes that the nra is a 1 issue group, they seem to drop the ball on this issue on some of the bigger issues!:uhoh: granted they have been pretty good even great for somethings but c'mon nra. reid? no friend there and the disclose act, majorly would have screwed every single OTHER gun group, and a lot of there members also, not every single nra member is only a member of the nra, many are members of many gun groups and pro 2a supporters that would have been gut punched by that one. imo the nra has been on a slippery slope for awhile now.