• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Mariners Museum

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I have to go to Tidewater today to renew my Storm Spotter certification and to stop by Surry for an interview, so I thought I'd go to the Mariners Museum while I was there.

I'm not sure how we left their OC position, but I haven't been there for years so I'll kill two birds with one stone.

t33j

I have to go to Tidewater today to renew my Storm Spotter certification and to stop by Surry for an interview, so I thought I'd go to the Mariners Museum while I was there.

I'm not sure how we left their OC position, but I haven't been there for years so I'll kill two birds with one stone.

Synopsis:
There is at least one sign (not where it may be reasonably seen IMO) that says no guns. I can't say if it says only on the trail part, or the entire property. (A photo would help) There are reports that nothing is posted at the door. There have been reports of OCing inside the museum without issue. The museum is privately owned but has at a minimum received grant funds from the city, and state (from federal government).

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Synopsis:
There is at least one sign (not where it may be reasonably seen IMO) that says no guns. I can't say if it says only on the trail part, or the entire property. (A photo would help) There are reports that nothing is posted at the door. There have been reports of OCing inside the museum without issue. The museum is privately owned but has at a minimum received grant funds from the city, and state (from federal government).

Thanks TJ!

I'll get some pictures and see if I get tossed out.:uhoh:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Thanks TJ!

I'll get some pictures and see if I get tossed out.:uhoh:

Did you get in and out of your own accord?

Do you need representation or bail money?

Hope you didn't try to take pictures of anything involving national security - understand that is a hot button some places. :lol:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Did you get in and out of your own accord?

Do you need representation or bail money?

Hope you didn't try to take pictures of anything involving national security - understand that is a hot button some places. :lol:

Got in. The only sign is the park sign and I have a picture I'll post. I'm not sure anyone saw my shamefully little gun but I didn't get kicked out. According to the Management though, the same foundation owns both park and museum and NG is a large sponsor.

I get the feeling they would not be very pro gun.

On another note...My class was at the Newport News Health Department that has a sign saying (among other things) NO WEAPONS.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
This is the same sign posted before:

sign-1.jpg

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
This is the same sign posted before:

sign-1.jpg

Yet the question remains regarding the acceptance of public/municipal funds.

My understanding has always been that if you except such funds than you are treated the same as a public entity and under the same rules.

Past reference has been made to the Mariners Museum as having accepted such funds.

t33j

My understanding has always been that if you except such funds than you are treated the same as a public entity and under the same rules.

Past reference has been made to the Mariners Museum as having accepted such funds.

Do you know who the legal people were that did the waterside thing?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Do you know who the legal people were that did the waterside thing?

I'll check into it and see, but I think a majority of the work was done by members here researching and passing the information on to the defendant, user Danbus.

Will get back on this.

N8

Campaign Veteran
Here.

http://www.justice.gov/tax/usaopress/2008/txdv08_VA_ED_20080611webernr.pdf

Paragraph 2

The Mariners’ Museum, which receives annual federal funding, collects, preserves and displays
maritime related objects and documents...

Also here.

http://www.marinersmuseum.org/visitor-information/press-release-uss-monitor-receives-prestigious-keck-award

Paragraph 11

The Mariners’ Museum is conducting a $30 million capital campaign for the USS Monitor Center. NOAA’s National Marine Sanctuary Program has provided $9.5 million in federal funds contributing toward the $20 million that will be raised from public sources.

2a4all

Acceptance of State funds might be grounds to establish a claim of preemption, but might the acceptance of (greater?) Federal funds establish a claim of a federal facility?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
No. Plain and simply, No.

The facility is the property of a private foundation. That the foundation receives contributions (taxpayer money) from either the federal or state governments does not magically make it a federal- or state-operated entity any more than unicorns and glitter make it subject to state preemption laws which, by the way, do not apply as of right now to state agencies, or to federal gun-free/gun-permissable facilities.

And because there is nothing in the Constitution, as decided by SCOTUS, that precludes private property owners from doing almost anything they want to about firearms, the decision to say "No Firearms/No Weapons Allowed" does not in the least infringe on your 2A rights.

The folks trying to make a connection between the MM and Waterside are conveniently forgetting that Waterside received all of its operating funds from the City of Norfolk, which paid those funds to a "corporation" that was created solely to accept City of Norfolk's taxpayer funds and then disburse them to a contracted management company who handled the actual operation of Waterside. The accountant who worked on Danbus' case did an excellent job of documenting both Waterside's funding sources and the creation of the various entities to operate the place as being solely the creatures of the City of Norfolk.

Anybody wanting to find the record and the identity of the accountant has but to contact the Clerk of the Norfolk General District Court.

stay safe.

Deepdiver36

Public Funds = Public Entity is just an urban myth. A public entity is usual defined and intended as such and accepting funds does not constitute a change of the private status.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Acceptance of State funds might be grounds to establish a claim of preemption, but might the acceptance of (greater?) Federal funds establish a claim of a federal facility?

No more so than accepting federal highway funding makes Va. a federal facility in spite if the qualifiers (blackmail) that are frequently attached. :uhoh: :(

MSC 45ACP

So I guess I'll keep OCing there as politely as I can, wearing respectful clothing and acting like the upstanding citizen I am.

Dressing like a bum, going a few days without bathing and a week or two without shaving would not bring a good light to "Our Cause". I've read previously in these pages it is important we represent OCing in a positive light and be good representatives. Perhaps we should "tread lightly" at the Mariners Museum and set a good example for Open Carriers.

I will continue to OC there and see what happens. Perhaps they'll look the other way when there aren't shootouts in the Monitor Exhibit and duels in the Small Boat Hall.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
So I guess I'll keep OCing there as politely as I can, wearing respectful clothing and acting like the upstanding citizen I am.

Dressing like a bum, going a few days without bathing and a week or two without shaving would not bring a good light to "Our Cause". I've read previously in these pages it is important we represent OCing in a positive light and be good representatives. Perhaps we should "tread lightly" at the Mariners Museum and set a good example for Open Carriers.

I will continue to OC there and see what happens. Perhaps they'll look the other way when there aren't shootouts in the Monitor Exhibit and duels in the Small Boat Hall.

I have to give a qualified nod of approval to what kidmark aid. Qualified, becaue I haven't researched it, but it sounds logical...

At any rate, they apparently aren't rabid antigun in the museum since it wasn't mentioned to me, but I also suspect that could change anytime.

2a4all

I have to give a qualified nod of approval to what kidmark aid. Qualified, becaue I haven't researched it, but it sounds logical...

At any rate, they apparently aren't rabid antigun in the museum since it wasn't mentioned to me, but I also suspect that could change anytime.
Private funding from wealthy donors provides a significant chunk of the MM's operating budget, so I'd guess that those folks could influence the weapons policy. Museum grounds also host Civil War reenactor activities from time to time, which might indicate their leanings.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

....what _kidmark _aid. Qualified, becau_e I haven't researched....

Sticky keys? :lol: