• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Under 21 concealed carry in WI with other states permits?

ectfd3

I live in Wisconsin but am not quite 21 so I can't yet obtain a WI ccl. Which state(s) would I be able to get a ccl in that would be honored in WI and/or surrounding states? I realize this is a somewhat broad question but any help would be appreciated. Attempting to do the research is getting a bit overwhelming. Thanks much!

HankT

State Researcher
I live in Wisconsin but am not quite 21 so I can't yet obtain a WI ccl. Which state(s) would I be able to get a ccl in that would be honored in WI and/or surrounding states? I realize this is a somewhat broad question but any help would be appreciated. Attempting to do the research is getting a bit overwhelming. Thanks much!
How old are you now?

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher

This is not possible for 2 reasons: the OP is (1) less than 21 years old and (2) a Wisconsin resident. Wis. Stats. § 175.60(1)(g) provides:
"Out-of-state licensee" means an individual who is 21 years of age or over, who is not a Wisconsin resident, and who has been issued an out-of-state license.

ectfd3

Yo kiddo 21 in all 50 states.

It ain't rocket science.

You're just gonna have to wait till you're 21 like the rest of us did. Life ain't fair. Get used to it.

It is not 21 in every state. It is 18 in some states and they also have reciprocity with others, my original question was if there were any of those where the age was 18 that had reciprocity with WI or MI or others in that area. It is not out of desperation, just curiosity. Please do not post if you are just going to criticize my age and not provide useful information.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

I live in Wisconsin but am not quite 21 so I can't yet obtain a WI ccl. Which state(s) would I be able to get a ccl in that would be honored in WI and/or surrounding states?
It is not 21 in every state. It is 18 in some states and they also have reciprocity with others, my original question was if there were any of those where the age was 18 that had reciprocity with WI or MI or others in that area. It is not out of desperation, just curiosity. Please do not post if you are just going to criticize my age and not provide useful information.
Just curiosity.

Which states permit concealed carry by a minor? That is permit as in license and not allow as in not prohibit.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

I live in Wisconsin but am not quite 21 so I can't yet obtain a WI ccl. Which state(s) would I be able to get a ccl in that would be honored in WI and/or surrounding states?
None permit by a minor. North Dakota Class 2 is for people between the ages of 18 and 21. Maine non resident is 18.
"None permit by a minor." Concealed carry? Are we done?

WCrawford

Just curiosity.

Which states permit concealed carry by a minor? That is permit as in license and not allow as in not prohibit.

None. A few states issue permits to those under 21 (Iowa is one IIRC), but only Veromont permits (allows) minors to carry (16). Remember, a minor is 17 or younger.

Sent from my M865 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ectfd3

None. A few states issue permits to those under 21 (Iowa is one IIRC), but only Veromont permits (allows) minors to carry (16). Rember, a minor is 17 or younger.

Sent from my M865 using Tapatalk

Sorry about that, I forgot about Vermont.

hermannr

This is your answer. You are under 21 and you are a live in Wisconsin. It means you cannot have an out of state license and you have to be 21.

Legal definition of a minor is someone that has NOT attained their 18th birthday. (For HHK)

ID also "May issue" a concealed license to someone under 21, but over 18. It is shall issue at over 21.

As in WA, I believe WI limits your out-of-state license to 21 and over, even if you are licensed in another state, and I also belive WA and WI are the same in that if you reside in WI, you have to carry on a WI permit within the state of WI.

Also, as in WA, I believe Open Carry is legal without a license to residents 18 and over, in certain cases...
there you will have to read the law for exceptions.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

Legal definition of a minor is someone that has NOT attained their 18th birthday. (For HHK)
Citation, please, IAW OCDO Rule (5), to a jurisdiction effective in this discussion.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

I thought this on point and interesting.

http://www.bostoncoop.net/lcd/emancipation/emancipation_deliverable.pdf
STATUTORY AND JUDICIAL EMANCIPATION OF MINORS IN THE UNITED STATES

HISTORY:
In connection with on-going research conducted by law students at Northeastern University School of Law on the issue of the expansion of certain legal rights of homeless minors living in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, the authors, students in “Law Office #2” of the 2001-2002 “Law, Culture, and Difference” class, investigated solutions to the various problems faced by such homeless youth. This research included exploring the possibility of suggesting a statutory emancipation scheme to the Massachusetts Legislature.
It has a state by state chart of statutory and judicial guidance.

In the case of Wisconsin, http://scholar.google.com/scholar_c...2d+599+(Wis.+1968)&hl=en&as_sdt=2,50&as_vis=1

@herman, the Wikipedia is a good first reference on a new topic to avoid embarrassing oneself. In this case, two articles

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_majority

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_minor#United_States

Last edited: