• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I'm not sure if we should put a cop in every school, but I do agree with the NRA

ArmsMonkey

I think there should be a member of the school staff that is required to train in firearms self-defense. Though, with all the shooting going on, no one can be prepared for every event. I wish I had an answer for all the shootings / killings, but sadly, I don't. When the nation ( and the world ) falls upon bad times, all the nuts are more uneasy and take it out on the world.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I prefer buying doors that actually work. Doors never sleep, don't ask for a pension, can actually keep people out, and do not affect the world's donut supply.

BAMF

Oak Door with a Steel Core, 12in square safety glass , pin code entry , emergency dead bolt

sudden valley gunner

I think there should be a member of the school staff that is required to train in firearms self-defense. Though, with all the shooting going on, no one can be prepared for every event. I wish I had an answer for all the shootings / killings, but sadly, I don't. When the nation ( and the world ) falls upon bad times, all the nuts are more uneasy and take it out on the world.

My condolences to the people of your state and to the victims of this tragedy.

I must disagree with the phrase "for all the shootings/ killings, ", violent crime is way down historically, and massacres seemed to have peaked in the 1920's in this country. When we look at the most recent tragedies we see many of them happened in areas highly "regulated" by government and preventing firearms from being there.

I don't think more laws or requirements is the answer, but less laws and less requirements.

steelcityk9cop

I prefer buying doors that actually work. Doors never sleep, don't ask for a pension, can actually keep people out, and do not affect the world's donut supply.

I have to agree. Retrofitting doors and windows is in the long run cheaper than having many extra employees on the books.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I think there should be a member of the school staff that is required to train in firearms self-defense. ....

You are aware that for the most part teachers are Liberals who believe in the Nanny State and that firearms and violence never solve anything, aren't you?

There are some teachers who would fit the bill, but just supposing there was an incident - who would supervise their class and classroom while they ran off down the hall to deal with the presence of a mentally deranged rapid mass murderer? And would the union/professional organization allow them to have the extra duty without additional compensation? Not to mention arming even a one only teacher in each school would require all sorts of bureaucratic paperwork to keep up with their certifications and arranging substitutes to cover their classes while they attended training and qualification/requalification. Plus the changes in the law necessary to allow a non-LEO (while in the performance of their duty) to carry in a GFSZ.

We also must consider how the reactions of the students would impact the assigned cop. Imagine the entire female student body of XYZ Middle School going "Eww. Seriously? That is so gross!" every time an out-of-shape cop walked by. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Knjf3ABPc0E

stay safe.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Oak Door with a Steel Core, 12in square safety glass , pin code entry , emergency dead bolt

Sounds good. Until the Stanley Door Company lobbyists start pushing for state and federal regulations requiring such. Then we end up paying for such doors. On how many public schools? How many such doors on a single school?

Oh, and then we get mission creep. A couple years after public schools, the regulations are increased requiring them on private schools. Then colleges. Then day care.

Like SVG, I'd rather see fewer laws, in this case gun laws, specifically repeal of GFSZ's. And, enforcement of civil liabilitiy and fraud laws against psychiatry for its failure to cure these people while pretending to have solutions.

EMNofSeattle

Sounds good. Until the Stanley Door Company lobbyists start pushing for state and federal regulations requiring such. Then we end up paying for such doors. On how many public schools? How many such doors on a single school? SNIP

What's wrong with that? Doesn't the Stanley door company have a right to lobby for laws that will increase their profits?

MamaLiberty

Don't ban guns... ban government "schools."

The Case for Separation of School and State
http://www.schoolandstate.org/case.htm
America was a free and thriving country, the envy of the world, well before compulsory state schooling was instituted.

Take a deeper look here at how the state came to control education, why it shouldn't, and how millions of people are taking back their educational freedom.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
It was sarcasm, I keep forgetting to put purple on it.

sorry

I wouldn't worry about it too much.

The views of many regular users are known to everybody else. For example, if Amlevin suddenly wrote a comment hypercritical of police, I would know he was being sarcastic.

That right there knocks out tons of necessity to expressly identify one's own sarcasm.

Besides, its too easy to clear it up if there is a lack of understanding.

Also, I think the recent trend towards purple for sarcasm is a little silly. What's next? Red for anger? Yellow for annoyance? Green for envy?

If a fella writes something and wants to make sure readers understand its sarcasm, he can always write the classic /sarcasm.

sudden valley gunner

In before the "Why don't you just move to Somalia!" :lol::lol::lol:

:lol:

All this straw is making me feel itchy....

No straw yet until your lobby comment.

It was sarcasm, I keep forgetting to put purple on it.

sorry

It was sarcasm but one you meant to provide as a straw argument.

Also, I think the recent trend towards purple for sarcasm is a little silly. What's next? Red for anger? Yellow for annoyance? Green for envy?

If a fella writes something and wants to make sure readers understand its sarcasm, he can always write the classic /sarcasm.

I too think it was silly and used it extensively to point out the silliness . Was having fun but got old even for me. :)

sudden valley gunner

You are aware that for the most part teachers are Liberals who believe in the Nanny State and that firearms and violence never solve anything, aren't you?

There are some teachers who would fit the bill, but just supposing there was an incident - who would supervise their class and classroom while they ran off down the hall to deal with the presence of a mentally deranged rapid mass murderer? And would the union/professional organization allow them to have the extra duty without additional compensation? Not to mention arming even a one only teacher in each school would require all sorts of bureaucratic paperwork to keep up with their certifications and arranging substitutes to cover their classes while they attended training and qualification/requalification. Plus the changes in the law necessary to allow a non-LEO (while in the performance of their duty) to carry in a GFSZ.

We also must consider how the reactions of the students would impact the assigned cop. Imagine the entire female student body of XYZ Middle School going "Eww. Seriously? That is so gross!" every time an out-of-shape cop walked by. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Knjf3ABPc0E

stay safe.

Hahaha "Ewww Gross".

Good points there skid. This is the problem, every time government tries to fix a problem it usually creates more problems, and then of course instead of doing away with that bureaucratic mess they try more fixes.

OC for ME

From a rights perspective, why would anyone require any teacher of staff member to be required to have more certifications/training beyond what the law provides in each state to carry a firearm on school property for your average citizen. The premise that a teacher or staff member must have "additional" requirements is anti-liberty and supports the claim by the anti-liberty crowd that more "regulations" re guns is a good thing. Now, is there a "breaking in" period that is needed? Essentially, having more regs and scaling back on those regs.......uh, wait, I forgot, I am referring to government.

Anyway, in Missouri, all a teacher needs, or any other citizen for that matter, is permission from the "school" to carry via a CCW endorsement. I recall posting the relevant laws in another thread.

unreconstructed1

From a rights perspective, why would anyone require any teacher of staff member to be required to have more certifications/training beyond what the law provides in each state to carry a firearm on school property for your average citizen.

For the most part, I would agree with you. However, the point could be argued that since locations are allowed to prohibit carry, the point could also be made that locations could also impose additional requirements for carrying on those properties, or restrict carry only to "authorized" persons. I for one would propose a voluntary program, which I have discussed elsewhere. (I would describe it here, but since I received a strongly worded PM regarding posting my sentiments in multiple places, I suppose I'll just leave it at that.