• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Antis Won't like this.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
A DOJ Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS) "special report" shows that "firearm-related" homicides fell by 39 percent between 1993 and 2011.

It also showed that violent crime -- or "nonfatal firearm-related violent victimization against persons aged 12 or older"-- declined by 70% over the same time period.

http://jpfo.org/alerts2014/alert20140204.htm

Last edited:

Primus

Won't the antis just say those drops correspond with all the stupid laws they've passed?

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Also this occurred during a period of unprecedented growth in the quantity of guns purchased and the number of people carrying.

More Guns Equals Less Crime
icon14.png

Maverick9

A DOJ Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS) "special report" shows that "firearm-related" homicides fell by 39 percent between 1993 and 2011.

It also showed that violent crime -- or "nonfatal firearm-related violent victimization against persons aged 12 or older"-- declined by 70% over the same time period.

That's kind of a naive comment. Since when have 'antis' looked at statistics? Or statistics that don't support their views? Or fail to twist statistics to make it seem their emotional tirades are what does the job?

It's like arguing with your crazy M-i-L. You just can't win, Grape. Don't even try. Have to say VCDL did a bang up job this session.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

That's kind of a naive comment. Since when have 'antis' looked at statistics? Or statistics that don't support their views? Or fail to twist statistics to make it seem their emotional tirades are what does the job?

It's like arguing with your crazy M-i-L. You just can't win, Grape. Don't even try. Have to say VCDL did a bang up job this session.

"Naive" - really? Not sure who (DOJ or myself?) you think is lacking in experience or ability to recognize facts as presented. Never said that the antis would like the reports - said the polar opposite.

The antis are blind to the truth and asleep at the throttle of a train speeding down the only track they know......into a dead end tunnel.

They remind me of an old, bad joke: What is the last thing that goes through a bug's mind when he hits your windshield? Ans: His azz. :)

DW98

And here we are down here with ever-increasing crime rates and still no talk of self-defense....

Maverick9

"Naive" - really? Not sure who (DOJ or myself?) you think is lacking in experience or ability to recognize facts as presented. Never said that the antis would like the reports - said the polar opposite.

The antis are blind to the truth and asleep at the throttle of a train speeding down the only track they know......into a dead end tunnel.

They remind me of an old, bad joke: What is the last thing that goes through a bug's mind when he hits your windshield? Ans: His azz. :)

Imprecise on my part. Should read 'naive title' - they ...won't like this. Heck, they just spin and spin (and can sit on it and spin for all I care). But your content was priceless. So, mea culpa

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Anti's keep screaming about how easy it is to get guns. How just anybody can walk into a gun store or a gun show and come out with an arsenal (their words). Well this is patently untrue. It is much harder to buy guns today than it was 60 years ago.

When I was growing up in the 50's, firearms could be purchased at gas stations, hardware stores, department stores, of course gun stores, and even drug stores. And there was no paper work. Your receipt was not different than the one you would be handed if you bought a watch or a hammer.

These people both don't know and don't realize this because: A) most weren't alive back then; B) those that were alive didn't grow up in that climate, or; C) are lying because to do otherwise subverts their agenda.

OC for ME

All of those businesses would be selling common guns today, big money in guns, if the feds didn't make it so freaking impossible to do business in selling guns. It is far easier to sell, gum, TP, milk, lipstick, shampoo, and candy bars than it is to sell a gun.

WalkingWolf

Anti's keep screaming about how easy it is to get guns. How just anybody can walk into a gun store or a gun show and come out with an arsenal (their words). Well this is patently untrue. It is much harder to buy guns today than it was 60 years ago.

When I was growing up in the 50's, firearms could be purchased at gas stations, hardware stores, department stores, of course gun stores, and even drug stores. And there was no paper work. Your receipt was not different than the one you would be handed if you bought a watch or a hammer.

These people both don't know and don't realize this because: A) most weren't alive back then; B) those that were alive didn't grow up in that climate, or; C) are lying because to do otherwise subverts their agenda.

Before the 68 GCA there was a grocery store I remember selling handguns. YET still the store never got robbed.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
As a young teen, I was given a hangun by a dear ol' lady, a neighbor - there was only one rule: my parents had to agree first - they did.

My parents never felt the need to tell me when, where or how to handle it - that had already been done quite effectively.

Had several long guns too. Mom "borrowed" one after asking me to teach her how to clean it. She sat on the front steps in full view of our Peeping Tom neighbor cleaning that shotgun - never had any similar problems with him. :lol:

DW98

As a young teen, I was given a hangun by a dear ol' lady, a neighbor - there was only one rule: my parents had to agree first - they did.

My parents never felt the need to tell me when, where or how to handle it - that had already been done quite effectively.

Had several long guns too. Mom "borrowed" one after asking me to teach her how to clean it. She sat on the front steps in full view of our Peeping Tom neighbor cleaning that shotgun - never had any similar problems with him. :lol:

God, that depressed me.

Hang onto your rights at all costs....

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Before the 68 GCA there was a grocery store I remember selling handguns. YET still the store never got robbed.

We had a little place called the "Swap Shop" in our town. I'm pretty sure they also had some firearms there. Definitely remember our local hardware store carrying firearms. I bought my first gun on Friday, April 5, 1968, the day after MLK was killed. It was a new Ruger Super Single Six convertible and the transaction was simple. Just paid my $78 plus tax and took it home. That little local gun shop did a hell of a business that day.

The next gun I got was a Ruger Blackhawk .357 6 1/2" barrel just two weeks before the '68 GCA took effect. Got in in mid December, 1968 from a gun store in Maryland; it was legal then to buy handguns across state lines.

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Won't the antis just say those drops correspond with all the stupid laws they've passed?...

Exactly. The big Assault Weapons Ban, with its magazine limit on all detachable mags for all firearms was 1994-2004.

This data is over too long a period that saw too many things happen to credit anything for it.

There are three ways to mislead people: White Lies, Damn Lies, and Statistics.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. -John Adams

Unfortunately for the sake of a national dialogue, that ubiquitous thing of which we often hear but rarely witness, facts are not part of the anti's wheelhouse. They rely on emotion and hyperbole instead.

stealthyeliminator

Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. -John Adams

Unfortunately for the sake of a national dialogue, that ubiquitous thing of which we often hear but rarely witness, facts are not part of the anti's wheelhouse. They rely on emotion and hyperbole instead.

Or just outright lies. It amazes me the lies that people may tell, even on a national stage, and largely get away with it.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Or just outright lies. It amazes me the lies that people may tell, even on a national stage, and largely get away with it.

Hopefully not on our watch.

Not too many years ago, in the historical sense, the penalty for bearing false witness was extreme - those convicted had not the means to repeat the offense.

Now we, being more civilized, do battle armed with facts/truth in the courtrooms and legislatures across this country.

Rest well lads, for tomorrow we fight again.