• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Do you want your Oregon CHL?

kparker

Dude, what's "mail" and "check"?

Paypay for a few dollars on its way to you... wouldn't mind meeting up but the way my life is on fire these days, time-wise...

kparker

Ugh.

Just had to add a new bank account to my PayPal account; no idea how long it will take to verify it. This event is still a ways out; I assume you don't need the funds yesterday, right? :)

devldogs55

This is an awesome opportunity!

I have been wanting an OR CCW for quite some time, but I have struggled to find a Sheriff's Dept that I routinely traveled near. I will most certainly be there at the gunshow! So, to successfully apply on that day, one would need...

WA CPL
OR CHL Application
Letter of "need"
List of references
Proof of competency with a pistol
WA Drivers License
Cash

The reference requirement is slightly confusing me. Do I need to have references listed on the application AND have them fill out the reference questionnaire? Should I do both, or just one? Also if they need to fill out the questionnaire for me, should I bring the letter they filled out in when I apply, or have them fill it out and send it to the Sheriff?

When you were talking about making an appointment - that was only if we are traveling to OR with you, correct? We are not required to make any appointment or RSVP of any kind to apply at the gunshow, are we?

Any word on whether he will accept the free DC Metro training yet?

Also, I will be more than happy to send you a donation. I'll let you know when I'm sending it.

Last edited:

Bill Starks

State Researcher
Current info as of today from Columbia County

1. We take only cash, checks or money orders
2. (I will look up the statute on the training requirement and email it to you, I will look at this training online and see how it compares)
3. I don't believe we will need volunteers from you.
4. The letter we require is to the Sheriff. The applicant needs to give compelling reason why they want a CHL in Oregon.

5. We require 2 reference letters. The form letters that need to be filled out our on our website. The applicant can bring them to us filled out or their references can mail them to us. It does not change or delay the application process.

Me:
I still don't know yet on the "Online Training"
The reference letters ARE ONLY required by folks getting their CHL for the first time.

Alpine

Do the references have to be OR residents? It doesn't say on the websites or forms.

devldogs55

Awesome! Thanks for the info. So, if I understand correctly, as of now, the training you linked in your original post is acceptable? We are just waiting to hear back about the DC Metro training.

Edit: just looked over it again - answered my own question. Thanks!

Last edited:

Alpine

Thanks Bill! I think I will get in on this.

Last edited:

Bill Starks

State Researcher
Online Washington DC course WILL BE accepted by the Columbia County Sheriff as acceptable handgun training
https://dcfst.mpdconline.com

per the Sheriff's Dept...
Bill - While we are always cautious about Concealed handgun Training we are even more cautious about online training. Obviously the instructors are qualified. The course outline appears to cover the material necessary.
We would be willing to accept this course. AT the time of application we will however require the applicant to sign a Declaration of Completion of an Online Handgun Safety Course.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
Confirmation received today, you can use this form letter for your compelling need letter...
download here or type/hand write your own:

compelling reason letter: http://www.washingtongunrights.com/ocdo/compelling-need-letter.pdf

(date)

Sheriff Dickerson:

I routinely travel throughout Oregon for both business and personal reasons. I respectfully request your office allow me to apply for (and subsequently issue) an Oregon Concealed Handgun License for the purpose of personal defense.

(signature)
(your full printed legal name, address, phone number)

Last edited by a moderator:

Grim_Night

Confirmation received today, you can use this form letter for your compelling need letter...
download here or type/hand write your own:

compelling reason letter: http://www.washingtongunrights.com/misc/compelling-need-letter.pdf

(date)

Sheriff Dickerson:

I routinely travel throughout Oregon for both business and personal reasons. I respectfully request your office allow me to apply for (and subsequently issue) an Oregon Concealed Handgun License for the purpose of personal defense.

(signature)
(your full printed legal name, address, phone number)

Your link doesn't work. 1326420269-12533.png

kparker

As someone who has driven to Columbia County twice to get, and then renew, an OR permit, this is a fabulous opportunity. Perhaps a couple others can join me in throwing in a few $ so Bill doesn't have to front all the cost? Just a suggestion...

Bill Starks

State Researcher
Met with the Columbia County Sheriff's Department today and we are all set for April 26th. Remember that the line will move faster if you have all your paperwork filled out and ready to hand in vs filling it out in line.

All the forms you need are linked in the 1st Post.

you will need:
your Washington CPL
CCSO CHL form filled out
Two personal reference forms filled out
One compelling need letter
They will take your fingerprints
They will take your picture
$70 cash, money order or check - NO DEBIT or CREDIT CARDS

Geerolla

Super stoked for this opportunity! I don't travel as much to Oregon anymore, so the chances of me getting this otherwise were slim to none. Might need to bring a box of ammo for you, Bill. Thanks again for setting this up!

Side note - For those just reading the topic, the CHL form does say the 2 references need to be non-related.

Sent from my UAV using Disposition Matrix 2.0

Last edited: