• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Colorado, the possibilities...

mahkagari

Nobody on this thread is discussing whether a person is born in this country or not.

Your original statement was, "Some parts of CO are very discriminatory against those who arent CO natives." You then asked, "Why wouldnt it be a legal question? Its not a race, gender or age specific question." The reason it wouldn't be a legal question to ask whether someone is native to Colorado is because it can be an illegal probe into whether someone was born out of the country. Asking where someone was born even in this country? "Hmm, you're kind of olive skinned and from New York. Yeah, I know all about you Puerto Ricans."

Oh?
You realize that kids who have one or more parents in the Military often move all over the nation and even the world.
My best friend who graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy got married, had kids afterwards and his family has lived in four other countries and about a dozen states in the last eighteen years.

I guess someone like you would be suspicious if one of his kids applied for a job at your company.

Uh, are we talking about adult employment history or childhood residences? I don't recall the last time I saw a resume with grade schools. Or high school geographical information beyond where they ultimately graduated.

Even though when looking at their work history it shows that they have held previous jobs for years?
That doesnt sound like someone "just passing time" to me.

Depends on how many years and what kind of work. 1? 2? 5? 10? Every job in a different state? Every job description different with no common thread? Why so much moving? Traveling sales? Remote freelance work?

In my particular line of work (translation), I love people who have a background travelling internationally. Just sent a job to an Italian working from somewhere in Europe. She's also worked from the South Pacific as well as getting back to Italy in between when she's available to come on-site usually being based here. But she's been doing the same thing in her own business for at least the 15 years I've known her.

But college in one state, 1 year as a waiter in another, 2 years in another first as a production assistant and then as an office manager, another 9 months "freelancing", 18 months "multilevel marketing" in still another state, and now finally, 2 years in Colorado in an entry level position in my industry for a competitor and applying with me for 1-2 levels higher? I'm going to need to hear something compelling to make me believe they're invested in establishing a mutually trustful long term relationship.

Again, I don't know your situation, but my point is that speaking as a potential employer, I need to know more of the story than what's on the resume. I'm not defending where you interviewed, I'm just pointing out that "not being a CO native" is a wide brush to paint with.

Last edited:

PFC HALE

i got my job here via a phone interview. and i lived in florida, hiring manager knew it too. He could care less where i was from as long as i could do the job.

still here 7 years later...

M-Taliesin

You realize that kids who have one or more parents in the Military often move all over the nation and even the world.
My best friend who graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy got married, had kids afterwards and his family has lived in four other countries and about a dozen states in the last eighteen years.

<Snip>

Even though when looking at their work history it shows that they have held previous jobs for years?
That doesnt sound like someone "just passing time" to me.

Howdy Pard!
Looking at the two statements above reveals a huge inconsistency.
Moved around 4 other countries and about a dozen states but held the previous jobs for years????
That does not sound like somebody 'just passing time'?
Really?

So what was the previous job that they held while moving around through 4 other countries and all them other states?
Amway?

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Sig229

So what was the previous job that they held while moving around through 4 other countries and all them other states?
Amway?

The person I was talking about was deployed to many areas throughout the world after graduating the US Naval Academy.
After Annapolis, his first stop was at San Deigo, then to Sugar Grove Naval Operations Command in West Virginia, after that he was stationed at Ft. Meade MD (NSA), then they stationed him in Japan, Korea and back in the USA for a few more years in a few other states.

I dont know the exact MOS (will ask him this week), but I know that he was in communications for the Navy. I believe a lot of it at first was decryption and then he moved on to Satellite Imaging.

He now works at the Pentagon.

mwaterous

Well I can determine two things so far. The first is that Colorado would be a great place to live if we decide that it's the right place for us. The second is that there are far more people in the Colorado forum than there are in Montana and New Mexico combined. I mean that as it sounds; there are more people in the CO sub forum than there are in either of those two states. ;) Didn't even get a small bite at my similarly posted question over there... which isn't to say it's out of the running, just a little quite here on opencarry.

We've got a lot to think about!

mahkagari

The person I was talking about was deployed to many areas throughout the world after graduating the US Naval Academy.
After Annapolis, his first stop was at San Deigo, then to Sugar Grove Naval Operations Command in West Virginia, after that he was stationed at Ft. Meade MD (NSA), then they stationed him in Japan, Korea and back in the USA for a few more years in a few other states.

I dont know the exact MOS (will ask him this week), but I know that he was in communications for the Navy. I believe a lot of it at first was decryption and then he moved on to Satellite Imaging.

So it was one job that moved him around. That makes sense. I was a bit nervous to think things were so bad out there that an Annapolis graduate would be selling Amway and working odd jobs state to state for an average of a year and change at a time.

M-Taliesin

So it was one job that moved him around. That makes sense. I was a bit nervous to think things were so bad out there that an Annapolis graduate would be selling Amway and working odd jobs state to state for an average of a year and change at a time.

Howdy Pard!
That was the point I was trying to make when I posted my remark about Amway.
Employers understand that military folks move around a whole bunch.
But when an applicant has a checkered background, moving around a great deal, the civilian does not tend to keep the same job.
They move somewhere new, and a new job is obviously going to be necessary.
Hence your observation that you regard folks who move around and frequently change jobs with a jaundiced eye would be typical of most employers.
Somehow the concept of an MOS in the military (moving around a great deal but keeping the same job) got substituted for a civilian moving around frequently and having many different jobs. We suddenly went down a whole different track. The apples and oranges thing got lobbed into the discussion of whether Colorado employers discriminate against folks from somewhere else; which I don't believe happens as originally suggested.

But all that aside, it is somewhat a departure from the topic at hand: How does Colorado measure up as a place to live.
It wasn't intended to compare/contrast military v. civilian employment and backgrorund checks.

In the spirit of getting the thread back on track, let's look at the OP's most recent post.

Here in Colorado, OC'ers tend to support one another.
I don't want to toot my own horn, but I often devote time to new OC'ers and take them out for their first OC outings. I try to help them feel comfortable about OC'ing by having them tag along with myself while they also OC with somebody who has experience doing it. A couple of others on the Colorado forum do likewise.
We had a gathering to help one member move from his apartment to new digs. A fair number of OC'ers showed up to lend a hand.
We had several meet & greets over the past two years, and folks got to meet others and friendships grew from those meets.
In fact, we were having an OC meet and greet in Colorado Springs when the Waldo fire broke out in Waldo Canyon.
A couple of members offered their own personal range to OC'ers to come out and shoot at their places in the country. (how totally cool is that?)
When the Waldo Canyon fire broke out near Colorado Springs, at least (minimum) two of our OC'ers immediately volunteered to help.
(The offical authorities didn't take up either man on their offer of voluntary service, which could have prevented some looting and burglaries that followed in the wake!)
And the list goes on. The point being, one of our Meet and Greets was held with an eye toward finding ways we could benefit the community through volunteer service while at the same time, bringing greater awareness of OC in Colorado.

I've seen some other state forums, and they seldom have anything to say; much less do.
I wonder where the passion is? Do they work to preserve their rights and fight for them, or allow them to slip away through apathy?
My own attitude is that we each have an onus to promote OC, encourage others to exercise their right to OC, work to educate folks we meet about OC, help them to learn that OC'ers are law abiding citizens who have taken responsibility for their own rightful self defense, and explain how they need to be prepared to defend their own lives (along with the lives of their loved ones and neighbors) because there are a whole lot of bad guys out there and the cops can't be everywhere.

Here on the Colorado forum, you'll see us ponder over the laws affecting OC. You'll see people who are motivated to exercise their rights. You'll see folks who promote this right in their daily lives. You'll see men and women who are willing to accept the responsibility for taking up their own defense against the thugs who would victimize them. You'll also see many who stand ready to engage in extreme violence against those who would do harm to them or members of their family or community to the degree necessary to defeat a threat to their lives.

But mostly, you'll find a group of folks who are as easy going, friendly and warm, as any folks anywhere on God's green earth.

You can find other places to put down roots, but Colorado has it all. From urban to rural, from small enclaves to massive cities, from wild country to paved streets, you can find it here. Whether you're affluent enough to get by in Aspen or Vail, or prefer something outrageously eclectic like Manitou Springs or Durango, it is here. If you hanker to take up ranching or farming, we can accomodate. If you're a rocket scientist, we got you covered with Lockheed Martin or the Consolidated Space Operations Center. Need a good school? We got those in excellent number. Hiking, skiing, mountain climbing, gold panning, scenic byways, camping spots, hot springs, pro sports teams, hunting, fishing, off road 4wd trails, we got all that and more. We have little theatres with live plays all the way up to world class facilities where you can enjoy Broadway shows right here in town! Museums, national parks, national forests, white water rafting, wilderness areas, and local festivals. Colorado is tough to beat for diversity and opportunity. And nobody will ask you to remove your hat to check the lining to verify whether it's a Stetson! And everywhere outside of Denver honors OC freedom and our rights under the 2nd Amendment of the Constitution of the United States, along with Article 2, sections 3 and 13 of the Colorado Constitution. We're working on helping Denver become an American city.

You'll also note the demeanor of Colorado folk tends to be cordial, friendly and respectful. You'll see flamers on other forums, people who do not respect others, or who seem to disposed to assert their own ego above others. You'll see folks with psychological impairments that only feel a sense of self worth when they can drag others down to their level through insult and belittling. You won't get that from a member of the Colorado forum. We don't long tolerate folks who ain't got any sort of manners. You may see folks poke fun at one another, but we much don''t cotton to those who ain't learned civility.

Colorado! It might not be heaven, but we're a mile closer to it than most anywhere else on earth!
As the country music legend Merle Haggard said in his great song:
"And if God doesn't live in Colorado, I'll bet that's where he spends most of His time!

[video=youtube;ZWYXMpRFqbA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWYXMpRFqbA[/video]

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Last edited: