• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Who has handcuffs?

Trigger Dr

Take this as a point to ponder for a couple minutes. I really DO NOT want to know who has handcuffs, and I don't think many others do either.
From time to time it comes up that a person has handcuffs, and when they would be used.
Members have discussed firearms retention training, some have indicated a degree of skill at various forms of defensive tactics.
How many of you have had proper training on the application of handcuffs? There is a way that handcuffs should be applied that provides a relatively safe enviornment for the peron applying the 'cuffs.
Without proper training, putting a person in cuffs can easily BACKFIRE on you. They make a very good offensive weapon.
I would suggest learning how before, and avoid a trip to the ER.
There are several LEO on the forum, and I would think they would offer some help on this line.
Just something to consider and I DO NOT WANT TO KNOW if you have 'cuffs.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
I'll bite....

I have handcuffs. Years ago as a young retail manager we were taught how to apprehend shoplifters. The 5 elements of an arrest, how to detain, the proper application of handcuffs. At that time we were authorized to detain and use them. Of course the retail world has completely changed since that time. I no longer take the handcuffs out of the house as I do not see it as necessary or part of my job. I have kept them near my home defense shotgun for years now.

TriggerDr, you are correct. The misapplication of cuffs can backfire on you. I also think carrying them around unless you are LEO or trained security would be goofy.

Deleted_User

+1

I've had training from my army days when I was attached to the MPs overseas. This is a GREAT point Trigger Dr. I haven't had to use them in 10 years but just having them isn't easy to apply. If someone is resisting, they aren't going to give you an arm and allow you to cuff and stuff them.

sultan62

I have no handcuffs (not counting that gag gift last year...) and no training to use them. I wouldn't carry cuffs unless it was required for my job, or otherwise tactically sound. I say "otherwise tactically sound" just to cover my bases, though I don't see a situation where it would be.

On a side note, I have a LEO cousin who carries around handcuffs with the pink frilly trim for the 'tough guys' that intentionally annoy! :lol:

xxx.jakk.xxx

I also don't have handcuffs. I wouldn't trust myself or the people who I'd potentially handcuff with them. If I really am in a situation that calls for it, I can just grab some 550 cord and tie them. I don't think I'll need to hogtie anyone, though...

boatswain

If you are not LEO and you handcuff somebody in WA, prepare to enjoy both a criminal and civil lawsuit. Start with an attempted kidnapping charge and then go from there.

The Jason Scott case in Bellevue in 1991 is a good precent. I believe the criminal penalty was a year in jail, and the civil damages totaled $3m or so.

Last edited:

xxx.jakk.xxx

If you are not LEO and you handcuff somebody in WA, prepare to enjoy both a criminal and civil lawsuit. Start with attempted kidnapping and then go from there.

I think it's more for a "Citizen's arrest" when they enter your home without your consent. Detain them to wait for the authorities to arrive to take over.

boatswain

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
If you are not LEO and you handcuff somebody in WA, prepare to enjoy both a criminal and civil lawsuit. Start with an attempted kidnapping charge and then go from there.

The Jason Scott case in Bellevue in 1991 is a good precent. I believe the criminal penalty was a year in jail, and the civil damages totaled $3m or so.

Cite? Is there an RCW that someone knows about?

If you are talking about this case here, then I would completely disagree with the notion of being charged. This case seems very removed from what we generally discuss on ocdo.

xxx.jakk.xxx

It sucks that all of these alternatives to eliminating a threat will get you in trouble so you can't resort to a lower level of threat. Shooting to wound, detaining, using "less than lethal" force. It all could end in a sticky situation for the person defending themselves so they HAVE to use deadly or no force. =\

tombrewster421

I bought my handcuffs from a surplus store when I was 13. I've found a couple uses for them. When I was in high school I had a friend spend the night on a school night because his parents were on vacation. I was trying to get my homework done and he kept bugging me. So I cuffed him to the door knob. I got my homework done fine after that. You probably don't want to know my other use. ;) Now my cuffs sit next to my Gunvault pistol safe in my dresser.

I don't think that detaining a person in your home until police arrive could be considered kidnapping. Kidnapping usually involves TAKING someone somewhere against their will. If they break into your home OBVIOUSLY they wanted to be there.

I'll see if I can find the cite, but in the constitution it details the process of arrest and states that you are to be brought before a magistrate BEFORE being taken to jail. So "technically" you could charge a police officer with criminal kidnapping if he doesn't bring you to a judge before jail. Obviously the prosecutors wouldn't be likely to enforce this law.

Last edited:

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Training with handcuffs, yes from Washington State Criminal Justice Training Center in Burien, WA.
The Practical application with Yakima County Sheriff Office and Washington State Penitentiary.

Do I own or carry handcuffs today, No.

I would like to note those who do own or intend to, take time to think this through as having someone complying with being handcuffed versus being combative can be very dangerous just by not having back up with you and an open cuff is a dangerous weapon.

I also agree with other concerns brought forth as others stated there is a concern in regards to when it would be legal for someone to detain someone in cuffs or detain for that matter and looking deeper into this practice.

KBCraig

I own handcuffs. I carry handcuffs daily, professionally, and use them as needed. I have been fully trained to do so as a law enforcement officer, and receive retraining every year (mostly about policy, since the actual practical application is something we do on a regular basis and don't need much training on).

I do not carry handcuffs in my private life. Off duty, my priorities are to defend myself and my loved ones, then be a good witness. Apprehending and restraining criminals is just about my last priority in those circumstances. When police show up, I would assist if requested, but otherwise I'm just John Q.

thomasdrs72

Have them/Carry them?

Sure, I have them... Wal-mart used to sell them in the gun section, and I just thought they looked cool (Smith & Wesson brand and all).

Never would I carry them though ;-)

Cheers!

thomasdrs72

amlevin

I don't have handcuffs or one of those "Mail Order Badges" that some think are cool. As far as I am concerned there are people that are trained and paid to carry both.

My only responsibility to myself and family is to defend against any attack. Detention and arrest is up to those who are charged with that job.