• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

jefferson county OC

lancej3540

just got off the phone with jefferson county tring to verify my findings about OC
talked to a deputy roberts he said if i carry a gun with out a ccw i WILL go to jail no if and or butts. I put a call into glenn boyer the sheriff i am going to TRY and educate the County of their own laws and what they can and can not do

Has anyone had any problems with Jefferson co?

kcgunfan

just got off the phone with jefferson county tring to verify my findings about OC
talked to a deputy roberts he said if i carry a gun with out a ccw i WILL go to jail no if and or butts. I put a call into glenn boyer the sheriff i am going to TRY and educate the County of their own laws and what they can and can not do

Has anyone had any problems with Jefferson co?

First, don't ask legal advice from a LEO. He is telling you what will happen, not if it's legal or not. If the LEO don't know the laws of the state or their subdivision, you are unlikely to change their mind. And that's doubly true when they're detaining you.

The only thing I see pertaining to weapons in their codes is you can't carry on a bus or on a bus operator's property.

I think engaging the sheriff is a good idea. But what if that fails? You might then try to go through the county attorney or prosecuting attorney's office. They will hold more water with the sheriff than you will, and should know the law.

By the way, the Jefferson Co ordinances are here, if someone else wants to check them out: http://codes.sullivanpublications.com/jeffersoncounty-slp/

lancej3540

here is the letter i sent to sheriff boyer
dear sheriff boyer i am writing to you to get some information on open
carry in jefferson county
i did a little research and found nothing that it is iilegal to open
carry in jeff co but when i called the police department i was put in
touch with a deputy roberts whom told me if i did i would be certainly
going to jail.
from my finding i find nothing illegal about it, since missouri is an
open carry state per the 2nd ammendment it would make it perfectly
legal
if you would please email me back and let me know if you find any
thing else then what i find and if you do would you please also send
it to me.

--
thanks
Lance Jackson

this is the response i got back

Mr. Jacksson

Missouri has a ccw law and you are correct in that as long as you are not
concealing the weapon in any fashion it is not illegal to carry it in the
rural areas of the county, You would have to check with each muny to see if
they have a local ord that would forbid open carry in their muny.

Sheriff Boyer

kcgunfan

here is the letter i sent to sheriff boyer
dear sheriff boyer i am writing to you to get some information on open
carry in jefferson county
i did a little research and found nothing that it is iilegal to open
carry in jeff co but when i called the police department i was put in
touch with a deputy roberts whom told me if i did i would be certainly
going to jail.
from my finding i find nothing illegal about it, since missouri is an
open carry state per the 2nd ammendment it would make it perfectly
legal
if you would please email me back and let me know if you find any
thing else then what i find and if you do would you please also send
it to me.

--
thanks
Lance Jackson

this is the response i got back

Mr. Jacksson

Missouri has a ccw law and you are correct in that as long as you are not
concealing the weapon in any fashion it is not illegal to carry it in the
rural areas of the county, You would have to check with each muny to see if
they have a local ord that would forbid open carry in their muny.

Sheriff Boyer

Well, he answered about 0 of the questions I would like to hear the answer to. It's pretty damn obvious that Jefferson County is legal for OC. And, of course, you would need to pay attention to any ordinances that every little town might make for themselves.

I would write him back, thanking him for his prompt reply and respect for the law. Then ask him why Deputy Roberts said he would arrest you for open carrying. Ask if it might be a good idea to give his staff a refresher course in MO weapons laws. Tell him that it would take a lot less county resources to refresh his deputies understanding of the law, than to require the county to defend itself against false arrest accusations.

repomasterstl

After looking at Jefferson county city ordinances the only city I found that plainly says no is Pevely. I know others have said no go in Arnold but I can't find where they found it. Instead of posting each link here is the section numbers of each city minus olympian village. Please forgive my spelling and punctuation this is off my cheat sheet I can email you copys of ordinace file if you want off my cheat sheet.

Pevely NO 210.250
Herky ok 210.010
Festus Ok Sec. 18-149.
desoto ?????? SECTION 215.240
arnold ????????? Sec. 17-21
crystal city ok Sec. 17-94

Last edited:

Griz

I am in disagreement about the DeSoto being OC friendly. See subsection 6. Concealed carry eliminates subsections 1 and 7 only.

SECTION 215.240: WEAPONS -- CARRYING CONCEALED -- OTHER UNLAWFUL USE
A. A person commits the offense of unlawful use of weapons if he/she knowingly:
1. Carries concealed upon or about his/her person a knife, a firearm, a blackjack or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use;
2. Sets a spring gun;
3. Discharges or shoots a firearm within the City limits;
4. Exhibits, in the presence of one (1) or more persons, any weapon readily capable of lethal use in an angry or threatening manner;
5. Possesses or discharges a firearm or projectile weapon while intoxicated;
6. Carries a firearm or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use; or
7. Carries a firearm, whether loaded or unloaded, or any other weapon onto the premises of any function or.....

then

D. Subdivisions (1) and (7) of Subsection (A) of this Section shall not apply to any person who has a valid concealed carry endorsement issued pursuant to Sections 571.101 to 571.121, RSMo., or a valid permit or endorsement to carry concealed firearms issued by another State or political subdivision of another State.

To the original post, Jefferson County and Hillsboro both have no open carry restrictions in their codes.

jad316

Police officers like Deputy Roberts is the main reason I chose NOT to open carry! I live in Jefferson County (Imperial) and I’ve had conversations with Arnold PD and they informed me handcuffs first then questions after… I will continue to wait until I don’t need a copy of any ordinance’s allowing open carry. I don’t have the income to hire an attorney to fight to get my weapon back. I always carry a reorder on me and I have my smart phone for video. I just don’t feel like running into the one those officers that want ruin my day.

Jim

jad316

After looking at Jefferson county city ordinances the only city I found that plainly says no is Pevely. I know others have said no go in Arnold but I can't find where they found it. Instead of posting each link here is the section numbers of each city minus olympian village. Please forgive my spelling and punctuation this is off my cheat sheet I can email you copys of ordinace file if you want off my cheat sheet.

Pevely NO 210.250
Herky ok 210.010
Festus Ok Sec. 18-149.
desoto ok SECTION 215.240
arnold ok Sec. 17-21
crystal city ok Sec. 17-94

Repomaster:
where are you reading where it states open carry is legal in Arnold? Quote: but nothing contained in this section shall apply to legally qualified sheriffs, police officers and other persons whose bona fide duty it is to execute process, civil or criminal, make arrests, or aid in conserving the public peace, nor to persons traveling in a continuous journey peaceably through this state.

Sec. 17-21. Dangerous and concealed weapons; prohibitions concerning.
If any person shall carry concealed upon or about his person a dangerous or deadly weapon of any kind or description, or shall go into any church or place where people have assembled for religious worship, or into any schoolroom or place where people are assembled for educational, political, literary or social purposes, or to any election precinct on any election day, or into any courtroom during the sitting of court, or into any other public assemblage of persons met for any lawful purpose other than for militia drill, or meetings called under militia law of this state, having upon or about his person, concealed or exposed, any kind of firearms, bowie knife, springback knife, razor, metal knucks, billy, sword cane, dirk, dagger, slingshot or other similar deadly weapons or shall, in the presence of one or more persons, exhibit any such weapons in a rude, angry or threatening manner, or shall have any such weapon in his possession when intoxicated, or directly or indirectly, sell or deliver, loan or barter to any minor any such weapon, without the consent of the parent or guardian of such minor, he shall, upon conviction, be deemed guilty of a misdemeanor; but nothing contained in this section shall apply to legally qualified sheriffs, police officers and other persons whose bona fide duty it is to execute process, civil or criminal, make arrests, or aid in conserving the public peace, nor to persons traveling in a continuous journey peaceably through this state.
(Ord. No. 2.8 (Bill No. 29), § 1, 11-16-72)
State law reference--Concealed weapons, RSMo § 564.610

repomasterstl

That is where I am confused about. It lists off meetings and anger and such. In between all that have on them concealed or exposed? I am not quite sure now rereading in how to interpret it far as that regard. The concealed thing probally doesn't apply via the ccw law, I hope someone with more experiance than me chime in and clarify.

kylemoul

if that is arnolds code, it looks almost if not, identical to st charles city ordinance. st charles city is oc legal.