• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

conceal coarse

2005futch

hi everyone, i was thinking about getting my cc permit, but can someone tell me about the class? is it hard, what can i expect,etc? please share with me, im nervous about it. also,is the test tricky?

aosailor

it all depends on where you take it. bare minimum is 8hrs of class time learning the laws and about shoot/dont shoot scenarios. then a shooting practical the consists of 30rnds. 10 a 3yrds, 5yrds, 7yrds. passing is hitting the target 21 out of 30

In all honestly I've learned more about NC gun laws reading this forum then I did in class.

like i said, the bare minimum, I've heard of courses taking 2-3 days where its all interactive and you shoot hundreds of rnds in many type of positions. Its all about what you want and need in your class.

I was a SAMI instructor in the military, I generally know what I'm doing and have plenty of experience with firearms, the class for me was merely a means to an end. I paid $50 and had my certificate in 8 hrs. If you want more in depth training, thats fine, its whatever you want

Last edited:

Ruger

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
Don't sweat it.

The way most places in NC teach the class, its almost impossible to fail. You'd have to sleep through the instruction, and then do the hands-on shooting while blindfolded. The shooting requirement for the state is to shoot 50 rounds at a silhouette target at 7 yards, maintaining 80% accuracy (40 rounds) inside the outermost ring. This is not timed, and can be completed using any handgun in the caliber of your choice. My wife, who is far from being a great shooter, was able to do this on her first attempt, and she had probably only shot twice before in her life (only once any recent time before qualifying).

it all depends on where you take it. bare minimum is 8hrs of class time learning the laws and about shoot/dont shoot scenarios. then a shooting practical the consists of 30rnds. 10 a 3yrds, 5yrds, 7yrds. passing is hitting the target 21 out of 30

In all honestly I've learned more about NC gun laws reading this forum then I did in class.

like i said, the bare minimum, I've heard of courses taking 2-3 days where its all interactive and you shoot hundreds of rnds in many type of positions. Its all about what you want and need in your class.

I was a SAMI instructor in the military, I generally know what I'm doing and have plenty of experience with firearms, the class for me was merely a means to an end. I paid $50 and had my certificate in 8 hrs. If you want more in depth training, thats fine, its whatever you want

Never heard of this anywhere in the W-S/Gso/HP area :-/

Last edited:

dmatting

If there is ever a class to NOT be nervous about - this is it. It's a cake walk. The biggest obstacle you may be confronted with is boredom - but hopefully the instructors get around that somehow - mine did - they tried to make it fun.

This makes me wonder what they are teaching in the CHP classes now. Some counties can get you your permit pretty quick, but in places like Durham, it takes the full 90 days. So if one were to take the course today in Durham for a permit from Durham, they would not get their permit until well after December 1st, which is when HB650 kicks in.

aosailor

The shooting requirement for the state is to shoot 50 rounds at a silhouette target at 7 yards, maintaining 80% accuracy (40 rounds) inside the outermost ring. [/COLOR]

See what I mean...... depends on where you go/who the instructor is.

where did you get your info to say the "State Requirement" is 50rnds? I've been looking all over for any requirement info.... Best friend is an instructor, he was trained to require 30rnds and the class I took required 30rnds....

25-06shooter

The state requires either 30 or 40 rounds fired. It is timed. You have anywhere from 5 shots in 5 seconds at 3 yards to 5 shots in 9 seconds at 7 yards. However, that is the minimum, some instructors require more.

Read your red book.

The class is not hard and the test is not hard, but you still need to pay attention. You don't want to go to jail for someone else.

Nate

Last edited: