• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

1911/1911 Clone Question

Verd

Campaign Veteran
I could carry my guns with the hammer cocked, but I don't. It is a hassle in a half to get the hammer mechanism a part in order to do a thurough cleaning for my tastes.

carry for myself

I could carry my guns with the hammer cocked, but I don't. It is a hassle in a half to get the hammer mechanism a part in order to do a thurough cleaning for my tastes.

yes! unless you have the sig P25. only 4 parts haha. I once took apart my S&W 6906's hammer assembly for cleaning, took about 2 minutes to take down............then 3 days, 5 gunsmiths later to re-assemble. i like my glock . inside the slide there is 10 parts that only fit back together one way lol and a monkey could do it :p

since9

Campaign Veteran

I could too, and don't, but for a different reason. Carrying in cocked and locked requires me to draw, thumb off the safety, and fire. Carrying with the hammer down requires me to draw and fire. Much faster. The six pound trigger pull and firing pin interlock lock provide enough of a safety.

since9

Campaign Veteran
I'm sure you understand my point on the comparison however.

Yes, I understand. It's probably rare, but there's at least one documented case of an individual carrying cocked and locked, accidentally thumbing off the safety, and firing the weapon in a direction other than intended. With a light trigger pull, it's a lot easier.

I will carry cocked and locked, and do practice it at the range. I'll draw, double-tap, a third to the head, thumb the safety on, and return to holster. I then repeat through the remainder of the magazine. Situation: I'm involved in a shoot, things are immediately clear and I'd prefer to re-holster, but there might be others and it's not the right time to be manually decocking the hammer.

I'd prefer, however, to manually decock the hammer as soon as practical so as to return to my normal condition of carry.

I think the point here is it's best to be thoroughly familiar with all modes of your firearm's operation. It's important, however, to find the mode that works best for you.