• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Obenshain wants "Instant Check" for Voter ID

Repeater

Well, at least when challenged on his alleged hypocrisy:

Virginia lawmakers split bitterly over voter ID rules
Republicans in Virginia and elsewhere have advocated “voter integrity” bills that would impose stricter ID standards on voters. No fewer than 17 of them have been proposed in Richmond this General Assembly session.

At a rally on Capitol Square last week, former NAACP director Benjamin Chavis accused Republicans of trying to “lynch democracy.” Richmond Mayor Dwight C. Jones (D) said the GOP push was all because “there’s a brother in the White House.”

Republican lawmakers contend that the measures are needed to combat voter fraud and ensure the integrity of the voting system. They note that Virginia’s notorious discrimination at the polls was perpetrated in an era when Democrats had a monopoly on political power. They also point out that Gov. Robert F. McDonnell (R) has pushed to extend voting rights to felons who have served their sentences.

“I broaden the kind of ID,” said Sen. Stephen H. Martin (R-Chesterfield). “These puzzling arguments that they’ve been bringing in front of me — I will tell you that one lady came into committee and actually said . . . that we’re targeting blacks because they’re more likely to forget [their identification]. I didn’t even respond.

A bill that passed in the Senate on Thursday would require a five-day waiting period before a newly registered voter can receive an absentee ballot. Sen. Chap Petersen (D-Fairfax) mocked the idea because of Republican opposition to waiting periods for gun purchases. The bill’s patron, Sen. Mark D. Obenshain (R-Harrisonburg), countered that he’d gladly trade the waiting period for an instant federal check on voters. It passed 21 to 20, with Lt. Gov. Bill Bolling (R) casting a tiebreaking vote.

Well, if it's good enough for guns ...

TFred

I've always said that an illegally cast vote is far more dangerous than an illegally owned gun.

It astounds me that these minority groups are all too eager to keep guns out of peoples hands, but want everyone to be able to vote, without regard to qualification.

It's completely backwards.

TFred

sparkman2

Correct me if I'm wrong but the US Constitution does not explicitly ensure a persons right to vote. It does however ensures a persons right to bear arms. I don't think this bill has anything to do with race, I think it has to do with making sure that we the people are represented honestly.

architect

The whole "show me your papers" aspect of this greatly concerns me. Why is confirming an address and affirming your identity believed to be insufficiently secure?

Besides, the folks who count the votes have more control over an election result than the ones who cast them. With much of the tabulation process no longer exposed to public view (e.g. the computational paths that exist in the voting machine's software), the only people who know what is happening are the ones who are making it happen.

This is "feel good" legislation that will have only a negative effect.

Snazuolu

Correct me if I'm wrong but the US Constitution does not explicitly ensure a persons right to vote. It does however ensures a persons right to bear arms. I don't think this bill has anything to do with race, I think it has to do with making sure that we the people are represented honestly.

actually, the Constitution does grant voting rights. the 15th amendment says "The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude"

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
The whole "show me your papers" aspect of this greatly concerns me. Why is confirming an address and affirming your identity believed to be insufficiently secure?

Besides, the folks who count the votes have more control over an election result than the ones who cast them. With much of the tabulation process no longer exposed to public view (e.g. the computational paths that exist in the voting machine's software), the only people who know what is happening are the ones who are making it happen.

This is "feel good" legislation that will have only a negative effect.

I'm not quite sure where I sit on this Architect. I'm inclined to agree with you. The only time in my adult life I did not vote was when a bill was passed requiring everyone to have a Voter Card or other ID.
I objected and they amended it to allow people to sign an affidavit if they didn't show ID.

I told Bill Bolling if he cast a yes vote I was taking myself off the voter rolls. He did and I did. I re registered the next year but to this day, sign the affidavit rather than show my card.

I like Obenshain and have a healthy respect for him but I don't like this bill. There needs o be an end to the record keeping and ID'ing.

Last edited:

sparkman2

actually, the Constitution does grant voting rights. the 15th amendment says "The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude"

The 15th Amendment prohibits discrimination based on race, color, or previous condition of servitude, as well as the 19th (sex) and the 26th (age). They do not grant one the right to vote. States are responsible for setting the electoral standards and policies for their state and if you are eligible to vote in that state, you are eligible to vote in a federal election.

The 2A specifically protects our right to keep and bear arms but yet it is the most controversial of all the Amendments to our Constitution. Imagine the uproar there would be if they wanted everyone going to church to register their religion with the state and allow the state to set rules on what they could preach and from what text they could preach from. Why should our fundamental right to defend ourselves be any different?

MilProGuy

If a person intends to vote once during a given election, then I see no problem with "instant checks", etc.,etc.

Those who wish to "vote early and vote often" are likely the ones who object to having to show ID to vote.:uhoh: Just sayin'. :D

Repeater

If a person intends to vote once during a given election, then I see no problem with "instant checks", etc.,etc.

Those who wish to "vote early and vote often" are likely the ones who object to having to show ID to vote.:uhoh: Just sayin'. :D

At least "one vote per election" makes more sense than "One handgun a month" -- just goes to show how selfish McEachin really is.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Despite what some politicians would have you think, voter ID laws are not to prevent illegals from voting, or felons from voting, etc.

It is designed to prevent the unscrupulous political campaign (is that redundant??) from pulling up to a crowd of people, saying "Hey, I'll drive you to the polls on behalf of my candidate. Need a cuppa joe? We have some snacks here. Help yourself." and thus getting votes (for a candidate) from people would would not otherwise have voted.

In different areas, different parties are likely to do such things. Just so happens AT THIS POINT IN TIME the Republicans believe the Democrats are doing it more.

Repeater

Despite what some politicians would have you think, voter ID laws are not to prevent illegals from voting, or felons from voting, etc.

It is designed to prevent the unscrupulous political campaign (is that redundant??) from pulling up to a crowd of people, saying "Hey, I'll drive you to the polls on behalf of my candidate. Need a cuppa joe? We have some snacks here. Help yourself." and thus getting votes (for a candidate) from people would would not otherwise have voted.

In different areas, different parties are likely to do such things. Just so happens AT THIS POINT IN TIME the Republicans believe the Democrats are doing it more.

Straw purchases

Straw votes

Walkin' around money

Seems like corruption is all over the place; yet the Democrats look at the gun community for evil and turn a blind eye most everywhere else. That's not right.

Snazuolu

The 15th Amendment prohibits discrimination based on race, color, or previous condition of servitude, as well as the 19th (sex) and the 26th (age). They do not grant one the right to vote. States are responsible for setting the electoral standards and policies for their state and if you are eligible to vote in that state, you are eligible to vote in a federal election.

The 2A specifically protects our right to keep and bear arms but yet it is the most controversial of all the Amendments to our Constitution. Imagine the uproar there would be if they wanted everyone going to church to register their religion with the state and allow the state to set rules on what they could preach and from what text they could preach from. Why should our fundamental right to defend ourselves be any different?

i think you need to reread the 15th amendment. it CLEARLY says the RIGHT to vote as well as the fact that NO state can make up their own rules concerning voting. "The RIGHT of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude."

sparkman2

i think you need to reread the 15th amendment. it CLEARLY says the RIGHT to vote as well as the fact that NO state can make up their own rules concerning voting. "The RIGHT of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude."

The SCOTUS ruled in Gore vs Bush that there is no federal constitutional right to vote.
http://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/00-949.ZPC.html
The 15th is clear to me where it says the "rights shall not be denied" or in other words the states cannot prohibit a person from voting due to their race. Do convicted felons in prison have a right to vote? No. Who decides that? The state.