• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Home Depot Encounter... Interesting but good

tat2ed_guy

So I went to Home Depot today with the wife to buy some stuff to build an above ground garden. I had asked many people in the garden area about soil and what not and they all directed me to one lady. That lady was busy with another customer so I had to stand there and wait for a few minutes. She finally comes over and starts helping me with what I needed. When we were done talking about the soils and I was about to start grabbing what I needed, she asked about my gun. No attitude or anything, just a simple "what kind of gun is that?". I told her what it was and she asked if I needed a permit to carry it. I was explaining to that I only needed the liscense if it were covered up or if i was in a vehicle. She seemed to have been finding it all interesting when she then explained that she had lost a nephew at a very young age due to him and another boy playing with his fathers gun. I was expecting to hear all about how she hated guns and how bad they were but none of that happened. She just kept asking about what would be a good firearm to get. This went on for a little while when she finally said she needed to clock out and head home. Overall it was a great coversation and my first encounter with anyone that actually had something to say (good or bad).

Ruby

So I went to Home Depot today with the wife to buy some stuff to build an above ground garden. I had asked many people in the garden area about soil and what not and they all directed me to one lady. That lady was busy with another customer so I had to stand there and wait for a few minutes. She finally comes over and starts helping me with what I needed. When we were done talking about the soils and I was about to start grabbing what I needed, she asked about my gun. No attitude or anything, just a simple "what kind of gun is that?". I told her what it was and she asked if I needed a permit to carry it. I was explaining to that I only needed the liscense if it were covered up or if i was in a vehicle. She seemed to have been finding it all interesting when she then explained that she had lost a nephew at a very young age due to him and another boy playing with his fathers gun. I was expecting to hear all about how she hated guns and how bad they were but none of that happened. She just kept asking about what would be a good firearm to get. This went on for a little while when she finally said she needed to clock out and head home. Overall it was a great coversation and my first encounter with anyone that actually had something to say (good or bad).

Thanks for sharing, these are the kind of positive experiences we, as OCers need. Another person educated, maybe somemore gun myths shot down (pun intended!). I work part time at Lowes in Renton and have had the opportunity to educate some of my fellow employees about guns. Occasionally we do have an OCer in the store and I try to talk to them if its at all possible. Met a guy from WaGuns.org because of the T shirt he was wearing and I said something.
Carry on!!

skiingislife725

I got the boot from the Snohomish Home Depot in maybe January (can't remember exactly). The manager said that she could give me the boot because, like the sheriff told her about the last OCer at the store, it was illegal to OC if it intimidated customers. I told her that's not her store policy and she said ok but you still have to cover up blah blah blah... Came back later that day with the corporate letter printed out and the relevant RCW's and haven't had an issue since.

ARADCOM

I OC'd in the Bellingham HD Thursday or Friday with no issues. First time I'd been in that store in years.

Had gone to Hardware Sales, Lowes, Bakerview Nursery, Fred Meyer the same day. HD was the only place that had exactly what I was looking for.

911Boss

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here
I got the boot from the Snohomish Home Depot in maybe January (can't remember exactly). The manager said that she could give me the boot because, like the sheriff told her about the last OCer at the store, it was illegal to OC if it intimidated customers. I told her that's not her store policy and she said ok but you still have to cover up blah blah blah... Came back later that day with the corporate letter printed out and the relevant RCW's and haven't had an issue since.

I wonder if it is a new manager, I have OC'd there a few times with no problems. It has been a while though.

fire suppressor

I would have been on the defence after she told you she lost a loved one. Thanks for sharing it was a great reminder conversations do not always go the way we expect them to, and sometimes that is a good thing

skiingislife725

I wonder if it is a new manager, I have OC'd there a few times with no problems. It has been a while though.

Yah like MSG said, could be relatively new...or just a different manager than the one you encountered. She didn't specify how long ago the other OCer was in there before me (that she booted out). But like I said, I came back the same day with the corporate letter (I did pull it up on my droid while we were talking but that didn't cut it for her)...and the dozen or more times I've been back I haven't had a problem. So for now, until there's another FNG, it should be good at that location.

amlevin

Yah like MSG said, could be relatively new...or just a different manager than the one you encountered.

Makes one wonder how they become "Manager" without knowing company policies. Maybe they're the only ones left that weren't smart enough to qualify for a job somewhere else.

Home Depot reminds me of an old Pizza chain, Shakey's. They had a sign on the wall that said "The difference in the Service between us and the other places is that here THERE ISN'T ANY".

I made the mistake of going in my local one last Friday. Not a single person in the three departments I went into looking for items. NO HELP, period. Wouldn't have mattered if I had been carrying an M-60 "Rambo Style", nobody on the Staff would have seen it.