• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone recently apply for a CHP in VA BH?

Esanders2008

I applied for one on may 17, and still nothing. Nothing in the mail today, so that gives them 6 days remaining. Anyone else have to wait the full 45 days?

Esanders2008

So still no permit. The last day for them to send it to me falls on a Sunday, so I suppose they have 3 days remaining. What should I do if I do not have it in the mail on Saturday?

Table

Go ask them

I was at day 41 and would be on business travel on day 45. So I went to the court house and asked. It was mailed the previous day.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I think I read he was behind:

From the Daniel Webster Dictionary

The Devil sold permits in Virginia
He was looking for some souls to steal
He was in a bind because he was way behind
and he was willing to make a deal
:eek:

Esanders2008

I went to the clerks office today and they are still processing it. I am going to go on day 46 (Monday) and if they have not mailed it, demand my temporary permit.

Mongoose72

Va bch timeline

My permit took 44 days to issue. I went to the clerk on the 45th day only to find out that it had been mailed the day before. I assumed that they were backlogged as I applied late last year and the permits used to only take 2-3 weeks in VAbch from what I have read from others on here. There are many other jurisdictions which appear to issue permits on the last day as a matter of policy.

TFred

My permit took 44 days to issue. I went to the clerk on the 45th day only to find out that it had been mailed the day before. I assumed that they were backlogged as I applied late last year and the permits used to only take 2-3 weeks in VAbch from what I have read from others on here. There are many other jurisdictions which appear to issue permits on the last day as a matter of policy.
I don't believe it. I have heard that new permit applications are down, not up. I suspect that people who were going to get one in this current climate have already done so.

I could be wrong, and it could be different in different areas... taking every bit of time is not due to a backlog, it's due to a policy that intends them to take every bit of time.

TFred

Esanders2008

I don't believe it. I have heard that new permit applications are down, not up. I suspect that people who were going to get one in this current climate have already done so.

I could be wrong, and it could be different in different areas... taking every bit of time is not due to a backlog, it's due to a policy that intends them to take every bit of time.

TFred

I did talk to one of the nice ladies in the clerk's office who said that they have had a big increase in the amount of permit applications. And I witnessed that when I went to the police building to drop mine off; there were about 5 people in line doing just what I was. :banana:

Blk97F150

^^ This!!

About a year ago a friend filed for a permit in FFX CTY. It was getting sort of close to the deadline and he called to inquire about it. They told him something to the effect of 'its ready, and will be mailed out on Tuesday'... he called on a Thursday. He didn't think to ask them 'WHY CAN'T YOU MAIL IT TODAY?'... :banghead:

Old Virginia Joe

Isle of Wight Re-Issue

I applied IIRC on May 23 here in IOW Co for my renewal, and by now, my old one has expired, and I'm still waiting on mine. Lady told me when I went to reapply that it should not take the full time, but here I am, still waiting . . . . . plus, they did require me to provide my drivers license, and photocopied it.

Why can I get my drivers license renewed the same day I ask for it, but not a simple gun permit? Does that seem like a fair comparison to y'all? How is that done so efficiently, and yet the county clerks are so IN-efficient with their tax-payed time?? I think the two processes cannot be THAT different, that it should take 45-60 times as long to process??? It's pretty bad when the freakin' DMV is the model of efficiency!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I applied IIRC on May 23 here in IOW Co for my renewal, and by now, my old one has expired, and I'm still waiting on mine. Lady told me when I went to reapply that it should not take the full time, but here I am, still waiting . . . . . plus, they did require me to provide my drivers license, and photocopied it.

Why can I get my drivers license renewed the same day I ask for it, but not a simple gun permit? Does that seem like a fair comparison to y'all? How is that done so efficiently, and yet the county clerks are so IN-efficient with their tax-payed time?? I think the two processes cannot be THAT different, that it should take 45-60 times as long to process??? It's pretty bad when the freakin' DMV is the model of efficiency!

Did you go along with them copying your drivers license?

You only have a few days left before you can get your temporary license.

Esanders2008

At least there were no extra requirements of mine. I have a couple of hours until the mail comes, and then I'm going to the court house. Can I request a temporary permit even if they claim it has been approved and is "in the mail"?

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
At least there was no extra requirements of mine. I have a couple of hours until the mail comes, and then I'm going to the court house. Can I request a temporary permit even of they claim it has been approved and is "in the mail"?

I don't see why not. You don't have it.

Sesrun

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308.05

This is the link to the new code section on de facto permits. Apparently the courts now have 5 business AFTER the expiration of the 45-day period to mail out a de facto permit. Does anyone know if this provision was in the old code?

Yes it was in the old code.

18.2-308(D) said:
Cite

... If the court has not issued the permit or determined that the applicant is disqualified within 45 days of the date of receipt noted on the application, the clerk shall certify on the application that the 45-day period has expired, and mail or send via electronic mail a copy of the certified application to the applicant within five business days of the expiration of the 45-day period. The certified application shall serve as a de facto permit, which shall expire 90 days after issuance, and shall be recognized as a valid concealed handgun permit when presented with a valid government-issued photo identification pursuant to subsection H, until the court issues a five-year permit or finds the applicant to be disqualified...