• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SB 1250 State-wide Preemption to be Heard 2-1-2011

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Well, it may not become apparent right away, but you simply cannot make a continual habit of completely disregarding the rules and expect to keep getting away with it.

Eventually people are going to find out and get mad.

TFred

I'm trying to get Senator Vogel too. Her aid is tied up right now.

mpd8488

Just received this:

Dear Mr. ********,

The full Rules Committee is expected to meet this Friday and expected to vote on SB 1250.
Hope this helps.

Arlene
--
Arlene Spinelli
Legislative Assistant
District 31
Senate of Virginia

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Just received this:

Dear Mr. ********,

The full Rules Committee is expected to meet this Friday and expected to vote on SB 1250.
Hope this helps.

Arlene
--
Arlene Spinelli
Legislative Assistant
District 31
Senate of Virginia

Appreciate the heads up.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Thanks I couldn't remember. They do seem a bit more formal than the small atmosphere of the sub-committees.

TFred

They are a little more formal but there is more room, and the press box has hookups so I can plug my recorders directly into the sound system so I don't have to hide wireless mics all over the room.:lol:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I just heard from Senator Vogel who hasn't a clue. She was delighted to hear of the email from Senator Whipple's aid.

She was afraid they had created a new Death Star.

Repeater

The Rule Book

I just heard from Senator Vogel who hasn't a clue. She was delighted to hear of the email from Senator Whipple's aid.

She was afraid they had created a new Death Star.

Senate Rules

Rule 19(a) specifies exactly what can be referred to the Rules Committee. It would appear that Senator Vogel's bill should not have been referred there.

The Committee shall consider all resolutions amending or altering the Rules of the Senate; all joint rules with the House of Delegates; all bills and resolutions creating study committees or commissions; and all other resolutions (except those of a purely procedural nature, those concerning nominations and appointments to any office or position in the Commonwealth including the nominations of Justices and Judges, and those concerning constitutional amendments). The Committee may report such bills or resolutions with the recommendation that they be passed, or that they be rereferred to another Committee.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Senate Rules

Rule 19(a) specifies exactly what can be referred to the Rules Committee. It would appear that Senator Vogel's bill should not have been referred there.

It may be DOA then. It's probably too late to get it into the proper committee and certainly too late to be assigned a sub committee.

I asked Philip why it went to rules before the session started. He didn't have a clue either.

TFred

Senate Rules

The Senate doesn't exactly have a good track record of following their own rules these past two sessions, why should they start now?

If nothing else, it should be apparent by now that they are going to do whatever they want to do, without regard to the consequence.

It would appear that we as citizens have been relegated to the role of frustrated observer, which will hopefully translate into very motivated voter this Fall.

TFred

Repeater

System is rigged

It may be DOA then. It's probably too late to get it into the proper committee and certainly too late to be assigned a sub committee.

I asked Philip why it went to rules before the session started. He didn't have a clue either.

If you look at the Code of Virginia, Title 2.2 (Administration of Government), and then look at various bills that became law, you will see they were referred to General Laws and Technology.

If you look at the Committee members, it appears much friendlier to gun owners than Rules. It even includes Senator Vogel as a member.

Senator Vogel's bill would become a part of Chapter 6. You will see Senator Mim's fingerprints in that chapter.

Repeater

See Rule 20(h)

The Senate doesn't exactly have a good track record of following their own rules these past two sessions, why should they start now?

If nothing else, it should be apparent by now that they are going to do whatever they want to do, without regard to the consequence.

It would appear that we as citizens have been relegated to the role of frustrated observer, which will hopefully translate into very motivated voter this Fall.

TFred

Rule 20(h):

The Chair of any Committee may appoint subcommittees to consider a particular bill or resolution or to consider matters relative to a portion of the work of the Committee. Such subcommittees shall make recommendations to the Committee. The Chair of the full Committee shall be an ex officio member of all subcommittees and entitled to vote, but shall not be counted as a member for purposes of a quorum. All subcommittees shall be governed by the Rules of the Senate.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Is this just more of the senate violating their own rules to allow the rule by a few?

hunter45

I just got a letter in the mail from Dave Marsden saying he does not support SB1250. The letter was full of BS...one of his reasons for not supporting the bill was because there are young people on college campuses.

Virginiaplanter

Senate Rules

26 (a). No law shall be enacted except by bill. Every bill, upon its introduction, shall be referred to the appropriate Committee.

It looks like the Senate Rules therefore is the appropriate committee because upon introduction it was referred to them.

Va. Const. Art. IV § 11 "No bill shall become a law unless, prior to its passage: (a) it has been referred to a committee of each house, considered by such committee in session, and reported;"

Under the Constitution it doesn't mater what committee reports it, only that it be reported by a committee.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Is this just more of the senate violating their own rules to allow the rule by a few?

I don't know GS!
Right now this seems to be a mystery to everyone but Whipple who ain't talking.
Vogel is concerned that it is just a shadow of Marsh's shenanigans.

keymo

Well...for what good it may do, I sent a paraphrased version of Tfred's statement to my senator (Herring) plus various members of the rules committee.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior