• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CWL, 'common ground,' and rifles? confusion

~*'Phoenix'*~

Alright, so, as always, the laws are written in confusing and convoluted ways to make everything as complex and 'scary' for law-abiding citizens as is possible...
My question is this -
I live in an apartment complex - thus 'common ground' law throughout halls and parking lots - so... without a CWL, I couldn't transport (carry) my firearms from my car to my apartment unless I am going to/coming home from hunting/fishing/target practice.
But as far as I understand after reading "florida firearm laws" edition 6, the common ground law doesn't apply to CWL holders...
But, with a CWL, I can also only legally carry (transport) my firearms concealed...
This works fine for my pistols, but what about my two rifles?
Am I allowed under CWL law definitions to carry a "concealed" rifle, if it is fully obscured from ordinary sight? (i.e. in a large gym/sport duffle)
Or am I allowed to openly carry (being private property I live within; unloaded/bolts out of course) them to my apartment through common ground because common ground law doesn't apply to me as a CWL? (I'm guessing this one is still a resounding NO, besides just being a bad idea)
I have a large, hard plastic gun/range box, locks and all. Is it legal for me to move them to/from car/apartment as long as they're unloaded/bolts out/encased? (Seems like it should be, but the laws don't seem to care whether or not they're unloaded or encased or not)
Or am I really just screwed, and only legal to move them when I'm going to the range and back?

Sorry about all this, and I understand what you say isn't actually legal advice. I'd just like to know what everyone thinks would most appropriately apply here, because I'm confused as heck...
Thanks for your help

P.S. I'm also into archery, and bring my recurve and arrows to the range ~weekly. Similar situation here... Concealing a bow? Open carry legal (non-firearm), but I live within 1000ft of a school zone (but I have a CWL), but on private property, but common-ground....
again, just... weird...
Thanks for any help or ideas

77zach

In practice, in the real world, the law makes wide allowances for people going directly to their place of business or to their dwelling with firearms across a parking lot. If your rifles are unloaded and in a case you can carry it on public transportation or on a public sidewalk so that's how I'd carry from my car to my apartment. In Florida, even without a permit it is completely legal to have a loaded rifle anywhere in a vehicle, btw.

77zach

Please cite.

790.25 Lawful Ownership, Possession, and Use of Firearms and Other Weapons
(5) POSSESSION IN PRIVATE CONVEYANCE. Notwithstanding subsection (2), it is lawful
and is not a violation of s. 790.01 for a person 18 years of age or older to possess a concealed firearm or other weapon for selfdefense or other lawful purpose within the interior of a private conveyance, without a license, if the firearm or other weapon is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use. Nothing herein contained prohibits the carrying of a legal firearm other than a handgun anywhere in a private conveyance when such firearm is being carried for a lawful use. Nothing herein contained shall be construed to authorize the carrying of a concealed firearm or other weapon on the person. This subsection shall be liberally construed
in favor of the lawful use, ownership, and possession of firearms and other weapons, including lawful selfdefense as provided in s. 776.012.

Just don't conceal a rifle on your person while driving!

michigan0626

790.25 Lawful Ownership, Possession, and Use of Firearms and Other Weapons
(5) POSSESSION IN PRIVATE CONVEYANCE. Notwithstanding subsection (2), it is lawful
and is not a violation of s. 790.01 for a person 18 years of age or older to possess a concealed firearm or other weapon for selfdefense or other lawful purpose within the interior of a private conveyance, without a license, if the firearm or other weapon is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use. Nothing herein contained prohibits the carrying of a legal firearm other than a handgun anywhere in a private conveyance when such firearm is being carried for a lawful use. Nothing herein contained shall be construed to authorize the carrying of a concealed firearm or other weapon on the person. This subsection shall be liberally construed
in favor of the lawful use, ownership, and possession of firearms and other weapons, including lawful selfdefense as provided in s. 776.012.

Just don't conceal a rifle on your person while driving!

So, if you own a truck, you can keep a rifle and/or a shotgun loaded with one in the pipe in a gun rack on the back window? Or if you own a car or SUV you can have a rifle or shotgun loaded and a round chambered in one of those police quick access racks in the trunk?

77zach

So, if you own a truck, you can keep a rifle and/or a shotgun loaded with one in the pipe in a gun rack on the back window? Or if you own a car or SUV you can have a rifle or shotgun loaded and a round chambered in one of those police quick access racks in the trunk?

Yes. The "good old boy" types around here all have loaded or unloaded long guns in their trucks. Its legality is well known here.