• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Teen Shot on Metro Buss

amlevin

Take away our guns and only criminals will have them, right? Well, add to that at least one teen that doesn't know he isn't supposed to be carrying a gun.

http://www.king5.com/news/local/Man-shot-on-Metro-bus-120325749.html

Who was that genius in local government that felt the Police could protect bus riders?

(PS: sorry for the "stutter" when I typed the extra "s" in the title. Maybe a good natured administrator can correct my boo-boo.)

Last edited:

ak56

Campaign Veteran
I still dont understand why bus drivers are not enclosed in a bulletproof cage to prevent them harm and from anyone getting in to take over the bus.

1. That would be admitting there was a potential risk.

2. $$$

3. It probably wouldn't help anyway. If someone wants the bus, they'll just take the passengers hostage. "Get outta the cage, or...".

amzbrady

1. That would be admitting there was a potential risk.

2. $$$

3. It probably wouldn't help anyway. If someone wants the bus, they'll just take the passengers hostage. "Get outta the cage, or...".

At that point the bus driver should just detor to the nearest police dept and let them take care of it. If passengers are not going to do something to protect themselves and rely solely on a business or someone else then they should be held accountable for the outcome of their descision. If people get shot along the way, then I would think that would be their fault for getting on public transportation unarmed.

tombrewster421

At that point the bus driver should just detor to the nearest police dept and let them take care of it. If passengers are not going to do something to protect themselves and rely solely on a business or someone else then they should be held accountable for the outcome of their descision. If people get shot along the way, then I would think that would be their fault for getting on public transportation unarmed.

But that just makes you sound so heartless. What about the people that can't defend themselves like the poor felons and crazy people? Oh wait, they carry anyway and that's who we need protection from.

jt59

But that just makes you sound so heartless. What about the people that can't defend themselves like the poor felons and crazy people? Oh wait, they carry anyway and that's who we need protection from.

It also wouldn't help...the driver pushed the "panic" button (better than trying to figure where the police department is)........ and the LEO's showed up four minutes later....a pretty quick response, really.

Of course, the roota of the word "later" isa Greek word, it meansa............ LATE

...and the perp got away.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Rules

On the radio this morning they said drivers are'nt even allowed to call 911. They have to call dispatch, who then decides who gets called. WTF!

amlevin

This Story Begs the Question

In reading about this incident the shooter apparently went forward, pointed his gun at the Driver, and ordered him to open the door.

You are on that bus, carrying your firearm, and have a clear view of this person pointing a gun at the Driver, after he has fired a shot or two. With this clear view, and knowing that the Driver is being threatened, do you draw your weapon and shoot? The only thing in your background is the windshield of the bus, the Driver is out of your line of fire.

Take the shot, or not, that's the question.

Metalhead47

Take the shot or risk a repeat of the bridge incident I say

Actually, as soon as the fight started I would have been out the door. Even without a weapon, fistfight in an enclosed, crowded space like that is bad juju.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tawnos

In reading about this incident the shooter apparently went forward, pointed his gun at the Driver, and ordered him to open the door.

You are on that bus, carrying your firearm, and have a clear view of this person pointing a gun at the Driver, after he has fired a shot or two. With this clear view, and knowing that the Driver is being threatened, do you draw your weapon and shoot? The only thing in your background is the windshield of the bus, the Driver is out of your line of fire.

Take the shot, and apologize to everyone else for damaging their hearing.

DevinWKuska

Hmm if there were no cars visible to take indirect fire I would make the shots. Why stop at 1? He has just shot someone and is threatening another... he is a threat to my safety as well as everyone on the bus. These days I wouldnt be surprised if a guy wanted to shoot everyone on a bus...the crime scene is the getaway vehicle! What more can a BG ask for.:cuss:

Bucks Gun Shop

Excellent thought problem challenge...

The firearm I carry is to protect me and my family. Thus, I would be postitioning to do just that - but would not fire.

Now - I don't like that I would not respond to protect the bus driver, but I am not willing to take the chance of jail time, or financial ruin for someone that is not friend or family. Sucks that our legal system forces me into that choice.

Ruby

I ride the bus every day since my car died the end of February. I can't carry when I am going to work at Lowe's; no weapons allowed on company property. I've seen a couple of drunks on the bus, but no one causing any trouble or being violent. When I am not working at Lowe's I do carry. We all do what we have to in order to earn a living and try to stay as safe as possible.

As far as the bus driver not being able to call 911, I think I have sense enough to do that myself should something happen. If I am travelling unarmed, I also have the good sense to get off at the next stop; heroism aside, self preservation comes first. If I am travelling armed, that's a different story. I generally sit at the front of the bus, so I would be close enough for a clear accurate shot; I would also be close enough to be shot. The guy has already shot one person, who knows his intentions? I would not sit still while he continues to threaten the driver or other passengers.

There was also an article in the paper today about this incident. It also said that on average, a bus driver is threatened or attacked once a month. Not a very safe job.

amlevin

Now - I don't like that I would not respond to protect the bus driver, but I am not willing to take the chance of jail time, or financial ruin for someone that is not friend or family. Sucks that our legal system forces me into that choice.

If a person has already shot someone else, is now pointing the same pistol at another potential victim who is the bus driver, consider this. If the bus is moving, and the driver is shot/killed, what risk is YOUR life now placed in?

If you are only concerned about yourself, so be it but remember, a "driverless bus" with you as a passenger now threatens YOUR life just as if the gun was pointed at YOU.

Me, I'd take the shot if all the conditions were as reported in this case and the risk to others was no greater than already existed. Not only would the Self Defense Statute cover the situation but those that cover use of force in the defense of others.

I still believe in the axiom "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6. If we ever end up on the same bus, in this kind of situation, and heaven forbid, I am unarmed, just pass your firearm over to me if you are afraid to shoot.

Trigger Dr

If a person has already shot someone else, is now pointing the same pistol at another potential victim who is the bus driver, consider this. If the bus is moving, and the driver is shot/killed, what risk is YOUR life now placed in?

If you are only concerned about yourself, so be it but remember, a "driverless bus" with you as a passenger now threatens YOUR life just as if the gun was pointed at YOU.

Me, I'd take the shot if all the conditions were as reported in this case and the risk to others was no greater than already existed. Not only would the Self Defense Statute cover the situation but those that cover use of force in the defense of others.

I still believe in the axiom "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6. If we ever end up on the same bus, in this kind of situation, and heaven forbid, I am unarmed, just pass your firearm over to me if you are afraid to shoot.

+1¼