• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Found a sign in vancouver that says no firearms

bwboley

Activist Member
Can some one fix this since I have no clue who to email. Was here to day and I dont want the $250 fine. lol thanks!

IMAG0043.jpg

IMAG0042.jpg

Drazhar Rakarth

Can we add a sign?

Clark County Code < RCW 9.41.290 but I'll take the $250 fine for your violation of state law and thank you. (Got to be courteous)

Vancouver, when will they ever learn. Good eye finding it! Time to get the wheels turning

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
Have you checked the code cited on the sign (i am on my phone so its not that easy right now). My guess is either a) outdated sign (looks new) or b) they are genralizing the term firearms (in a misleading way) to actually be towards the discharge of firearms which does not fall under 9.41.290 and just noting on the sign there is a restriction of some kind specific to firearms.

If b) I disagree with the practice and suggest we help change there mood. If a) should be fairly simple to contact correct folks to have it taped up until a new sign is ordered for replacement.

Last edited:

bwboley

Activist Member
there was 2 signs like this they looked newer also

9.04.190 Firearms.

No person shall, at any time, bring into or upon, possess, nor discharge within or upon the park properties of the county any bow and arrow, crossbow, slingshot, spring or gas propelled BB and pellet guns, spears or javelins, or any other weapon, except in designated target range areas. No person may discharge, within county park property, any weapon from which a projectile(s) may be fired by an explosive such as gunpowder except as allowed by state law such as RCW 9.41.270, Exceptions to penalties for unlawful carrying or handling of a firearm. (Ord. 1976-05-43 (part), 1976; amended by Sec. 1 of Ord. 2011-03-03)

Chapter 9.04
PARK RULES

Sections:

9.04.010 Short title.

9.04.020 Hours.

9.04.030 Protection of property—Destruction of buildings, monuments, and other properties.

9.04.040 Destruction of plantlife and natural surroundings.

9.04.050 Fires.

9.04.060 Protection of wildlife—Animals and birds.

9.04.070 Contraband.

9.04.080 Swimming, bathing and wading.

9.04.090 Boating.

9.04.100 Camping.

9.04.110 Horses.

9.04.120 Motor driven vehicles.

9.04.130 Operation of bicycles.

9.04.140 Peddling and soliciting.

9.04.150 Unlawful obstruction.

9.04.160 Hindering employees.

9.04.170 Alcoholic beverages, drugs.

9.04.180 Personal conduct.

9.04.190 Firearms.

9.04.200 Littering and pollution.

9.04.210 Public exhibition.

9.04.220 Procedure for obtaining permit.

9.04.230 Special permits.

9.04.240 Fees and charges.

9.04.250 Reservation.

9.04.260 Parking in prohibited areas.

9.04.265 Presumption in reference to illegal parking.

9.04.270 Cruising in and near park land.

9.04.280 Penalty.

Last edited:

ARADCOM

Park Signs

Can some one fix this since I have no clue who to email. Was here to day and I dont want the $250 fine. lol thanks!

IMAG0043.jpg

IMAG0042.jpg

Check this link:

http://www.columbian.com/news/2011/mar/09/carrying-guns-is-ok-in-county-parks-firing-threate/

"Signs in county parks will not have to be changed because they list firearms only as an item referenced in county code and don’t specify that they are prohibited, Horne said. "

Huh, ??

It may not specify they are prohibited but it certainly implies you'll be fined for having one.

JoeSparky

Centurion
Check this link:

http://www.columbian.com/news/2011/mar/09/carrying-guns-is-ok-in-county-parks-firing-threate/

"Signs in county parks will not have to be changed because they list firearms only as an item referenced in county code and don’t specify that they are prohibited, Horne said. "

Huh, ??

It may not specify they are prohibited but it certainly implies you'll be fined for having one.

Actually, since the last lines on the sign pictured state "and those other activities prohibited by Clark County Code" and I think it specifies "904" It is alleging that firearms are "prohibited" and the sign SHOULD BE CHANGED!

Any time any government dept/agency engages in such double speak where the OBVIOUS intent is to deceive the public into believing that legal conduct is ILLEGAL or the reverse (entrapment) it should be challenged!

Last edited:

amzbrady

Actually, since the last lines on the sign pictured state "and those other activities prohibited by Clark County Code" and I think it specifies "904" It is alleging that firearms are "prohibited" and the sign SHOULD BE CHANGED!

Any time any government dept/agency engages in such double speak where the OBVIOUS intent is to deceive the public into believing that legal conduct is ILLEGAL or the reverse (entrapment) it should be challenged!

Wasnt there just another thread that said such signage is a misdemeanor? Maybe if someone was charged things would change very quickly.

DevinWKuska

Check this link:

Huh, ??

I suppose to me the real question is are the Police and Park rangers aware of the mis-representation of this sign. Last thing I would want is some cop to give me crap and cite me stating how could I have missed the sign. Or worse arrest me wrongly by stating obviously I had disregarded a posted sign and thus was posing a threat to the community.

JoeSparky

Centurion
I suppose to me the real question is are the Police and Park rangers aware of the mis-representation of this sign. Last thing I would want is some cop to give me crap and cite me stating how could I have missed the sign. Or worse arrest me wrongly by stating obviously I had disregarded a posted sign and thus was posing a threat to the community.

While I agree with you as far as you go but what about those CITIZENs and users of that park that see the sign and are led astray thinking that something legal is NOT LEGAL!