• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New here and in Charlotte

REDFIVE48

Truly, its that I want my warranty to last its duration out. Glock isn't keen on reloads, and especially not lead in its firearms.

Had no idea there was a warranty violation for shooting reloads, how exactly would they know you were shooting reloads? I thought Glocks could handle anything, that is why I bought my G23 17 years ago, never failed me (but I did see it misfire a couple times with other shooters, wonder if it was because they were novice shooters/limp wristed?)

G22shooter

Campaign Veteran
I've heard of a few people having issues shooting reloads through their glocks with stock barrels. Most of the aftermarket barrels handle the rounds just fine though. That being said, I also know a few people who shoot reloads through their stock barrels and haven't had any problems yet. I fired reloads through my G23 once, but I wasn't the one who reloaded them. I figure about the time your warranty runs out is when you'll really be getting interested in doing your own reloads.

That being said, I've been thinking about starting my own here within the next couple months. Anybody in the area do their own that would mind showing me the ropes? lol. I know it's not the most difficult thing in the world, but it's always best to learn from someone with first hand experience.

I'd be happy to share what I know with you. If you can learn to follow a process and do it exactly the same way every time, you can load your own. It's really easy. I even let my little boys (7 and 4) help me with the decapping because the weight of the press handle is enough to punch out the primer and resize the .40s&w brass.

ArmySoldier22

wonder if it was because they were novice shooters/limp wristed?)

I bet it was. The only time my Glock ever misfired for me was shortly after i broke my wrist. I didn't give myself enough time to heal before hitting the range again, and I just couldn't get a tight grip on it. The .40 seems to have more of a pop to it than the other calibers, even the .45, so I think it gives shooters without a proper grip a little bit more trouble.

As far as glock handling anything you throw at it. It pretty much will. There's always a few cases where things don't go ideally for somebody, and the few I've heard about were probably exactly that. I know the one time I shot reloads, I didn't have any problems. And I know my glock will shoot even after it's been dropped in water, or covered in sand. So as far as my personal glock is concerned, I trust it to always perform for me.

ArmySoldier22

I'd be happy to share what I know with you. If you can learn to follow a process and do it exactly the same way every time, you can load your own. It's really easy. I even let my little boys (7 and 4) help me with the decapping because the weight of the press handle is enough to punch out the primer and resize the .40s&w brass.

That sounds great. I'm hoping to start getting the equipment together over the next couple months. Do you use a single stage press or a progressive press where you can do multiple rounds at once? From what I've heard, it's better to start with the single.

G22shooter

Campaign Veteran
That sounds great. I'm hoping to start getting the equipment together over the next couple months. Do you use a single stage press or a progressive press where you can do multiple rounds at once? From what I've heard, it's better to start with the single.

My press is a Lyman T-Mag II. It is not an AP press but it does have a turret for multiple dies. That way I can set my .40S&W die set and the powder drop and then run all of my brass through each stage. For example, I run all the brass through decapping, then after running them through the tumbler I use my Lee Auto-prime to install new primers (I haven't had good luck with the Lyman primer feed tube). Last, I run each brass case one at a time through powder drop and seating the bullet.

Shimmer

I've heard of a few people having issues shooting reloads through their glocks with stock barrels. Most of the aftermarket barrels handle the rounds just fine though. That being said, I also know a few people who shoot reloads through their stock barrels and haven't had any problems yet. I fired reloads through my G23 once, but I wasn't the one who reloaded them. I figure about the time your warranty runs out is when you'll really be getting interested in doing your own reloads.

That being said, I've been thinking about starting my own here within the next couple months. Anybody in the area do their own that would mind showing me the ropes? lol. I know it's not the most difficult thing in the world, but it's always best to learn from someone with first hand experience.

That's about dead on. Once the warranty is up, I had planned on venturing into reloading. I assumed they would have some way of gauging buildup on the barrel, and decided to play it safe. I'm certainly not at a point where my desire to venture into reloading really makes me want to risk voiding the warranty. That said, the G21 doesn't seem to be one of the ones with the reported KB's, and I will be getting a after-market barrel, at some point, or another weapon. I'm not sure which, but either one will give me a bit more freedom.

cricketdad

Before you start reloading do some research and learn what the process is. Look in used book stores and get a reloading manual. Speer is a good one to start with.

cricketdad

I'm shooting reloads through my G22 with no problems. Well, okay. I'll admit it. I had a problem once, so far. I loaded a bullet but failed to drop a powder charge. I ended up with the bullet stuck in the barrel and had to pound it out. Other than that, start out on the low end of the recommended charges and don't exceed the maximum charge load from your reloading manual. It isn't rocket science!

Anyone that has done much reloading has done that. That's why I carry a wooden dowel with me to the range. Only had to use it a couple times over the last 15 plus years.

cricketdad

I started with a progressive only because I ran across a good deal on it. I also use several single stage presses. Lee makes some inexpensive ones. I don't remember ever having a problem. Like G22 I usually use a Lee Auto Prime instead of the tube feed on the progressive. I just like the "feel" of it. Once you get the hang of reloading you can almost instantly tell when something wrong happens. If the "feel" of the handle doesn't seem right, stop and find out why.

drew9

Well apparently my phone just deleted about 2 paragraphs while I was in the middle of typing.
I use a lee "O" single stage press that came with the 50th anniversary kit, which includes everything to get started but the dies. I bought the lee dies because they include a scoop that makes measuring powder easy for a beginner, and i am certainly no expert. My father in law walked me through the basic process over the phone. I think the hardest part for me was learning to size the dies. It's best if you have someone to show you how, but otherwise a good book. I intend to stop shooting preloaded ammo once I build up my brass collection, which is low at this point, only about a few hundred. Learning how to cast my own bullets is also on my list. So far I've put roughly 200 reloads and several types of preloaded stuff through my hi-point .40, and not a single issue. The only thing I've noticed with going from jacketed preloads to lead reloads is a bit more fouling, but nothing major.

Last edited:

cricketdad

Well apparently my phone just deleted about 2 paragraphs while I was in the middle of typing.
I use a lee "O" single stage press that came with the 50th anniversary kit, which includes everything to get started but the dies. I bought the lee dies because they include a scoop that makes measuring powder easy for a beginner, and i am certainly no expert. My father in law walked me through the basic process over the phone. I think the hardest part for me was learning to size the dies. It's best if you have someone to show you how, but otherwise a good book. I intend to stop shooting preloaded ammo once I build up my brass collection, which is low at this point, only about a few hundred. Learning how to cast my own bullets is also on my list. So far I've put roughly 200 reloads and several types of preloaded stuff through my hi-point .40, and not a single issue. The only thing I've noticed with going from jacketed preloads to lead reloads is a bit more fouling, but nothing major.

My intent was to get a knowledge base before the hands on training. I'm one that learns better with one on one help.

drew9

My intent was to get a knowledge base before the hands on training. I'm one that learns better with one on one help.

That's me too. I much more prefer one on one instruction. I enjoy reloading overall, I usually do some in the evening after work. Its relaxing :p