• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Crime commission to seek action against cigarette trafficking - Violent Crime

FBrinson

Did you show them your receipt on the way out.:lol:

I've never seen anyone as embarrassed as Loss Prevention when I explained there was no law in Va to allow that, that the person they chose to pull that stunt with was one of the more respected firearms activists in the state...and that they had just about assured the success of Hopkins guns.

LOL! On the way out the guy asked where the bolt to the rifle was and my wife said "in my purse' and kept walking.

Repeater

Me too James.....sigh.

I suppose someone will tie OC in to avenging tax cheats soon:cry:

Sarcasm notwithstanding, this is a violent crime issue. Here is the latest report from the VSCC:
Page 14:

• Conclusion: Illegal cigarette trafficking is not a “cigarette issue.”
• IT IS AN ORGANIZED CRIME ISSUE.
• Trafficking hurts all legitimate manufacturers, wholesalers, and retailers, and leads to an increase in attendant crimes, such as credit card fraud, money laundering, burglaries, robberies and homicide/murder for hire schemes.

Page 21:

• In May of 2013, a multi-agency police investigation of a cigarette smuggling ring led to 16 arrests in New York and Virginia.
• The defendants are believed to be associated with both Hamas and Hezbollah operatives.
• This criminal conspiracy involved Palestinians smuggling up to 20,000 cartons of cigarettes a week.
– The cigarettes were bought in bulk from a wholesaler in Virginia, stored in Delaware, and then trafficked into New York.
– It is estimated that at least $65 million were made by the defendants.
• In October of 2013, two of the leaders of this conspiracy were charged with an additional crime: attempting to arrange the contract murder of two witnesses

Page 25:

• In April of 2012, Onesimo Marcelino and three defendants were arrested in New York for trafficking cigarettes.
• They purchased over 111,000 cartons of cigarettes in Virginia and transported them to New York.
– Payment was made with “millions in cash, thousands of grams of cocaine, an expensive SUV, and two firearms.”

I take this incursion seriously. So should you.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Sarcasm notwithstanding, this is a violent crime issue. Here is the latest report from the VSCC:

I take this incursion seriously. So should you.

As long as they behave in Virginia, I don't care what they do in New York.
And if you want an honest opinion, New York charging a $53.00 tax are the criminals.

The report had to throw in the terrorist card too.
I give it a high BS rating.

AND...it isn't an OC in Virginia issue.

Last edited:

sidestreet

Have seen this at Costco before…,

and they're buying more than five cartons, a heckuva lot more than five cartons. Might seem like a backdoor way to track terrorist and their money, but how much good is that really doing? Will we ever really know? I think the problem we need to see here is that government is increasingly trying to make us all felons in one way, shape or form, using any front door, backdoor, window, mouse hole, and crack in the wall possible. Why do you "need" five hundred cigarettes? Do we need to reduce high capacity cigarette packs from 20 to 7? And remember…, it's for the children.

sidestreet

Jeremiah 29 vs. 11-13

we are not equal, we will never be equal, but we must be relentless.

Last edited:

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
Because it's relevant.

I guess I must be too dense to see how people buying cigarettes, not having or brandishing any observable firearms or committing any crime that VA police seem to be interested in pursuing, is relevant to properly holstered, openly carried handguns in the Virginia forum. Perhaps you can connect the dots for us all...

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
I don't care if people buy cigarettes, Bibles, corn, or whatever and take them elsewhere to sell them to make money, as long as they're not harming someone while they do it. This is more stick your nose in your neighbor's business BS and I'd rather Virginia let the other states deal with their own stupidity. I won't cry about cigarettes being bought in VA and sold in NY anymore than I would about 32 oz beverages being bought in CT and sold in NYC. If New Yorkers have enough money to piss away to try to control everything that goes on in that state, let them spend their own and leave me and mine alone.

This isn't germane to OC in Virginia unless some "do gooder" decides to stick their nose in where it doesn't belong.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I guess I must be too dense to see how people buying cigarettes, not having or brandishing any observable firearms or committing any crime that VA police seem to be interested in pursuing, is relevant to properly holstered, openly carried handguns in the Virginia forum. Perhaps you can connect the dots for us all...
If you reread the OP and the included link, the connection is made to organized crime/terrorists profiting via trafficking in cigarettes originating in Virginia. You may not care what happens in NYC (I do), but surely you can relate to the problems that brings to our state and the residents thereof.

Whether Bloods, Crips, MS13 or an unnamed group of "entrepreneurs," they bring with them the very real potential for violence - they have demonstrated that capacity. I for one do not want them operating unimpeded and profiting from their activities within our state.

To let the criminal element grow and prosper will IMO too soon test why we defend the RKBA, yet wish to avoid when possible actually deploying lethal force. See no reason to allow those two lines to intersect when there is another way.

To that degree, if no other, it is relevant to this forum.

davidmcbeth

Banned
If you reread the OP and the included link, the connection is made to organized crime/terrorists profiting via trafficking in cigarettes originating in Virginia. You may not care what happens in NYC (I do), but surely you can relate to the problems that brings to our state and the residents thereof.

Whether Bloods, Crips, MS13 or an unnamed group of "entrepreneurs," they bring with them the very real potential for violence - they have demonstrated that capacity. I for one do not want them operating unimpeded and profiting from their activities within our state.

To let the criminal element grow and prosper will IMO too soon test why we defend the RKBA, yet wish to avoid when possible actually deploying lethal force. See no reason to allow those two lines to intersect when there is another way.

To that degree, if no other, it is relevant to this forum.

And why is this "criminal activity" present? The guberment created it with high taxes. You don't want them operating in your state? Then blame NY ... 'cause if they are gone, a new organization will surely take over.

Have we learned zip from prohibition?

Now if VA says ... go ahead, buy here and sell there is OK with us and does nothing .... then a flood of cigs into NY from VA would occur..NY would be powerless to stop...figure out their tax revenue is zero...and lower their taxes. And smuggling vanishes.

I should be King .. having all these cost-free solutions.

Last edited:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
And if you want an honest opinion, New York charging a $53.00 tax are the criminals.

Yup. All this smuggling and resulting violence (nearly all of it in NY) is the righteous comeuppance of the nanny-staters in the northeast.

Virginia should really pass laws to protect these smuggler-heros from the predations of criminal parasites in NY. For instance, there should be no limits on cigarette purchases for any philanthropist engaged in the activity of smuggling cigarettes to NY, so as to maximize the reward for the given risk.

We shouldn't subject ourself to the negatives repercussions of NY's prohibitionist crap.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Yup. All this smuggling and resulting violence (nearly all of it in NY) is the righteous comeuppance of the nanny-staters in the northeast.

Virginia should really pass laws to protect these smuggler-heros from the predations of criminal parasites in NY. For instance, there should be no limits on cigarette purchases for any philanthropist engaged in the activity of smuggling cigarettes to NY, so as to maximize the reward for the given risk.

We shouldn't subject ourself to the negatives repercussions of NY's prohibitionist crap.

Pretty much!
But since the decision's been made....you all go right ahead and discuss how to save the po New Yourkers. I've got plenty of other things to do and have zero interest in it.

I remember after the courts struck down our NY trash statute,,,the mayor said "Virginia should be proud to take our trash"....Looks like some of you......are!:uhoh:

va_tazdad

Well said.

Pretty much!
But since the decision's been made....you all go right ahead and discuss how to save the po New Yourkers. I've got plenty of other things to do and have zero interest in it.

I remember after the courts struck down our NY trash statute,,,the mayor said "Virginia should be proud to take our trash"....Looks like some of you......are!:uhoh:

+1 You beat me to the punch/post. You did however forget to mention Bloomers and his attempt to illegally buy guns here.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
+1 You beat me to the punch/post. You did however forget to mention Bloomers and his attempt to illegally buy guns here.

Didn't really want to get that far into it Taz. The vigilance committee has strapped on their pitchforks....so there isn't much reason to discuss it with them.

Marco

The report had to throw in the terrorist card too.
I give it a high BS rating.

AND...it isn't an OC in Virginia issue.

1+

The revenue collectors are just trying to find a new reason for the militarization of the Local PD.

Man, if I didn't hate going into NY/NJ I'd so get on the band wagon..
Now got to go load up my 24 cartons and head out, later

thedevilrobyjohn

what??

Perter a ski instructor? If it hurts NY, oh well...NY sure dont give a crap about its whipping boy skape goat VA. Too much eggnog, maybe but Im going openly carrying skiing with nap.
New sport: downhill ski hunting.

Last edited:

scouser

does anyone feel like taking a road trip in a north easterly direction ? Where we're going could be stressful so you might just want to really stock up on the cancer sticks before we leave ........

AtackDuck

Crossing state lines = feds?

I could have sworn that the "T" in BATFE stands for 'tobacco'. I guess the ATF is too busy covering up the gun running to Mexico drug cartels and Bloomberg is too busy sticking his nose in everybody's politics, to worry about terrorist funding in the Rotten Apple.
What we need, is another law to scoff at.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I could have sworn that the "T" in BATFE stands for 'tobacco'. I guess the ATF is too busy covering up the gun running to Mexico drug cartels and Bloomberg is too busy sticking his nose in everybody's politics, to worry about terrorist funding in the Rotten Apple.
What we need, is another law to scoff at.

Bottom line is the recommendations that come out will to be to raise taxes on tobacco.
The new administration has already said they need more revenue. Sin Taxes are always an easier way than income taxes.

It's already a felony in Va so increased penalties aren't going to help the crime issue which isn't a Va problem anyway.

This is a classic example of the off track and fragmented gun community. We have the anti's coming through the gate and we're discussing sneaking cigarettes into New York...in other words, Nero is fiddling while Rome is burning.......AND

DAVID, DON"T AGREE WITH ANYTHING I SAY ANYMORE! :mad:

Thundar

Perter a ski instructor? If it hurts NY, oh well...NY sure dont give a crap about its whipping boy skape goat VA. Too much eggnog, maybe but Im going openly carrying skiing with nap.
New sport: downhill ski hunting.

Sounds like a lot of fun, but be careful here.....

We can only advocate downhill handgun hunting!!!!

Advocating Downhill long gun hunting would violate the rules