• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pistol Ammunition what's legal and illegal ?

KySIGGuy

I don't know why it wouldn't. I carry the Federal "Tactical" HST 124gr 9mm+P hollow points which are supposed to be for LE only I believe. Fortunately, the internet is a great place to get great ammo.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
I don't know why it wouldn't. I carry the Federal "Tactical" HST 124gr 9mm+P hollow points which are supposed to be for LE only I believe. Fortunately, the internet is a great place to get great ammo.

Don't believe it. Anybody, not in new jersey, can purchase and use them. I have AR magazines marked "LE ONLY" and I use the hell out of them. I carry Black Talons in my EDC and there are bunches of boxes of "Lawman" rounds in my ammo locker. All marked "LE Only"

I did a quick google and found nothing restricting ammunition. The KY locals might know differently, but it appears unregulated.

warvet68/69

Don't believe it. Anybody, not in new jersey, can purchase and use them. I have AR magazines marked "LE ONLY" and I use the hell out of them. I carry Black Talons in my EDC and there are bunches of boxes of "Lawman" rounds in my ammo locker. All marked "LE Only"

I did a quick google and found nothing restricting ammunition. The KY locals might know differently, but it appears unregulated.
Thank you i appreciate that MSG Laigaie.

Brian D.

Sometimes the ammunition companies stamp certain of their loadings as being "Law enforcement only" but if it stops selling well it often mysteriously ends up in gun shops for "civilians" to buy.

LEX_XDM40compact

To my current knowledge the only regulation we have here in KY on ammuntion is rounds that are for "armor piercing". There is also somewhere in the KRS about "flanged" ammo. All other ammunition is legal to use / own / carry.

See : http://www.lrc.ky.gov/statutes/statute.aspx?id=11125

Also for definitions of these http://www.lrc.ky.gov/Statutes/statute.aspx?id=11123

In short, 99% of ammo you find in any shop will be legal to use and carry here in KY. Hollow points; bonded or jacketed and FMJ. Also any ammo or firearms labeled "for law enforcement use only" that fall under what is legal ( ie not armor piercing / fanged ) is simply a marketing tool and it is legal for you to use.

cjohnson44546

As far as I know, hollow points are legal in 49 states.

They are illegal to posses (gun or not) in New Jersey. They are "special" up there, bless their hearts.

Kopis

It's different for every state. AR requires frangible rounds in your carry gun whereas TN allows FMJ or frangible. Some less gun friendly states make it a crime to even possess hollow-point/frangible rounds.

JustaShooter

AR requires frangible rounds in your carry gun whereas TN allows FMJ or frangible.

Can you provide a cite for either of those? I couldn't find anything in AR law requiring frangible, or in TN law restricting you to FMJ or frangible.

warvet68/69

To my current knowledge the only regulation we have here in KY on ammuntion is rounds that are for "armor piercing". There is also somewhere in the KRS about "flanged" ammo. All other ammunition is legal to use / own / carry.

See : http://www.lrc.ky.gov/statutes/statute.aspx?id=11125

Also for definitions of these http://www.lrc.ky.gov/Statutes/statute.aspx?id=11123

In short, 99% of ammo you find in any shop will be legal to use and carry here in KY. Hollow points; bonded or jacketed and FMJ. Also any ammo or firearms labeled "for law enforcement use only" that fall under what is legal ( ie not armor piercing / fanged ) is simply a marketing tool and it is legal for you to use.
Thanks for the links LEX_XDM40compact,I appreciate you taken the time to do that.

Chief Ten Beers

I carry hollow points in my .380, .45 ACP, and sometimes in my .45 Colt single action clones. The ammo that I carry I hand load myself. :banana:

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

I carry hollow points in my .380, .45 ACP, and sometimes in my .45 Colt single action clones. The ammo that I carry I hand load myself. :banana:

I carry FMJ in 380, except for yard carry then HP. I want the bullet to explode in small varmints so I don't need the penetration. I use 200gr cast in 38 spl, 44 spl, and 44 magnum. The only two guns I use HP in are the 40 S&W and 9mm Largo. I prefer using the old standards of Elmer Kieth and Skeeter Skelton and their proven loads for self defense and hunting.

bunnspecial

For 38 Special, I like the "classic" FBI load of 158gr Lead Semi-Wadcutter hollowpoint. In typical +P loadings(i.e. Remington RTP38S12) it will push around 850fps out of a service revolver(slower out of a snub, obviously), which is plenty fast enough for the soft lead generally used to expand. Even if it doesn't expand, it's still an SWC which has a pretty good track record.

Buffalo Bore makes a standard pressure equivalent of this load that gives some really impressive velocity numbers out of snub noses(i.e. 854fps out of a 2" S&W Model 60). https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=110 I have a box of this that I sometimes load in my Detective Special.

The nice thing about the Remington "FBI load" is that while it's more expensive than "standard" 38 special and a lot more expensive than my handloads, it's still a lot less expensive than most high-tech hollowpoints so it's actually affordable to practice with. I've been paying around $30 per box of 50, compared to something like $25 for a box of 20 135gr Gold Dot Hollow Points.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Hallow points, full medal junket, what am I a NASA bullet engr?

I just shove what ever fits and fire away .. what it actually is .. is another guy's problem

Chief Ten Beers

I carry FMJ in 380, except for yard carry then HP. I want the bullet to explode in small varmints so I don't need the penetration. I use 200gr cast in 38 spl, 44 spl, and 44 magnum. The only two guns I use HP in are the 40 S&W and 9mm Largo. I prefer using the old standards of Elmer Kieth and Skeeter Skelton and their proven loads for self defense and hunting.

I hand load my own ammo, and I'm partial to loading the Hornady XTP's. With my .45 Colt, I've only loaded up a box of 50 with 250 grain XTP's, and the rest are with 250 grain cast lead in cowboy loads. I've also loaded some .45 Colt hot with 300 grain XTP's, but I use those in my Rossi M92 for deer hunting only. :)