• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Men who openly carried guns at Culver's accept settlement - Madison.com

oliverclotheshoff

two questions i have for anyone of the mad 5

is that settlement split between the 5 or do you all get that sum and is that after whats left from the legal fees

Viper

Heard this story on WIBA am 1310 this morning on my way into work.

Despain could have covered that a little better when he suggested people call 911 if they are concerned...something like not calling 911 when no crime is occurring.

I hope the 5 gentlemen and their families have a Merry Christmas. I am glad that this has been put to rest for you all.

We should start an annual Culver's meet there.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

Is this now case law in Wisconsin?
No. Case law comes only from the appellate courts. To get there, the defendants would have to have been found guilty and appealed the decision up to a senior enough court. That may be a consideration in the city's strategerie.

Wisconsin Act 35 and gun law in general will provide employment for lawyers for a long time. I'm working on a list of tests of civil rights protections that will be needed.

Last edited:
M

McX

Personally, I will be buying a firearm with the proceeds and naming it Noble.

I also want to echo Mlutz's words in thanking all the people who supported me (us) and donated to the defense fund.

ditto, but i wont name a treasured device after an ( deleted to be politically correct). i will get my gun with my MAD-money, as i call it.

also, THANK YOU to all who stood by us!

behold the new device, named: The War Wagon

Last edited:

MKEgal

Mlutz said:
I think its about the best we could get considering the... "totality of the circumstances".
:: cringe :: I can hear McX screaming all the way from here.

paul said:
2. Our case was cited by a circuit court judge who ruled 941.23 was unconstitutional (pre Act 35).
Cite? I don't remember reading about that.

Viper said:
Despain could have covered that a little better when he suggested people call 911 if they are concerned... something like not calling 911 when no crime is occurring.
We should start an annual Culver's meet there.
Ditto on both.
If we want to do an anniversary thing, we missed it this year.

TyGuy

Congrats! I hope that the Madison PD will revise how they respond to calls regarding OCers.

While not one of the 5 I feel a big relief as I organized an OC dinner at a Culvers that one of the 5 attending before this happened. I felt that perhaps I was a bit responsible in his arrest as my event might have resulted in him being more comfortable and attending the later event. It's horrible that I had to feel badly about encouraging someone to do something legal, but I did nonetheless.

Congrats to the Madison 5!

protias

Thanks.

The question remains, why settle?

If the Mad 5 are the plaintiffs and the city/cops are the defendants in this 1983 suit, why not get a jury to find them guilty?

This would have sent a very powerful message to all of LE in Wisconsin and likely nation wide. And, possibly a larger civil penalty against the cops and their employer(s). Especially after the changes cited in Act 35.

Anyway, it is a moot point.....now.

Why? Because WCI isn't in it for the money. WCI is in it to restore our rights and defend those who have their rights assaulted.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
Very Well Said Protias...

Why? Because WCI isn't in it for the money. WCI is in it to restore our rights and defend those who have their rights assaulted.

Very well said.

Wisconsin Carry, Inc. protects our rights and educates those that don't know their rights. I truly wish those five gentlemen had judgments of $100K EACH but this isn't the only case WCI has to contend with. WCI has some of the cases posted on the WCI website but there are others that are not listed. Wisconsin Carry has many irons in the fire and we all know there will be more irons thrown in that fire as our membership grows. I hope all of us stay vigilant and keep fighting for our rights openly.

Congratulations again my friends and Merry Christmas to all!

wiscollector

Banned
If the news story is correct, your lawsuit was a complete failure!

Quote from story "In its offer, the city does not admit to any wrongdoing. "

Story also say settle! and not judgement.

So according to the story. They were offered money to go away and took it.

If the amount was NOT 10K EACH, then you got totally screwed.

unless the court records indicate that there was wrongdoing, your suit failed its purpose.

Dont try and spin it! Your lawsuit failed and Madison WON!

Madison admitted to doing nothing wrong and you agreed by taking the money.

Last edited:

protias

If the news story is correct, your lawsuit was a complete failure!

Quote from story "In its offer, the city does not admit to any wrongdoing. "

Story also say settle! and not judgement.

So according to the story. They were offered money to go away and took it.

If the amount was NOT 10K EACH, then you got totally screwed.

unless the court records indicate that there was wrongdoing, your suit failed its purpose.

Dont try and spin it! Your lawsuit failed and Madison WON!

Madison admitted to doing nothing wrong and you agreed by taking the money.

Nik from WCI Facebook page:

There was no apology and even had we gone through to trial and had a judgment in our favor then, an apology cannot be ordered. I suppose we could have offered to settle with MPD if they issued an apology, but with that said, an apology doesn't mean jack $hit. Its behaviors that concern WCI, talk is cheap. Joel Despain told me (in the elevator riding down after my Wisconsin Eye debate with Chief Wray) That the department was not anti 2nd amendment. (yet their actions tell a different story) Between Noble Wray testifying AGAINST concealed carry to his departments policy after the Madison 5 incident. Talk means nothing. Unfortunately, the only remedy is a damage award in the form of $.

This was a judgment. Madison agreed to have a judgment entered against them. Had we gone through to trial (and depositions and all the other expenses) we likely would have gotten a similar judgment. An offer of judgment which the defendants made is the equivalent of saying "I know we will lose, so here is a judgment against us that we will agree to".

H

Herr Heckler Koch

If the news story is correct, your lawsuit was a complete failure! Quote from story "In its offer, the city does not admit to any wrongdoing. " Story also say settle! and not judgement. So according to the story. They were offered money to go away and took it. If the amount was NOT 10K EACH, then you got totally screwed. unless the court records indicate that there was wrongdoing, your suit failed its purpose. Dont try and spin it! Your lawsuit failed and Madison WON! Madison admitted to doing nothing wrong and you agreed by taking the money.
Here's the Wisconsin Circuit Courts Access form. Stick a party's name in and read the court documents.

http://wcca.wicourts.gov/simpleCaseSearch.xsl

Last edited:

wiscollector

Banned
So, why is nobody answering the question....10K total or 10K each?

If its 10K total then the Madison Atty won the case big time!

I laugh is your faces "culvers five"!

--Moderator edited--
Unacceptable content.

Last edited:
M

McX

you are a vicious vindictive person. and will undoubted be shunned, and blocked by many.

added on edit; i'm sorry i would respond to your further rants, but you no longer exist, as you are blocked.

Last edited:

wiscollector

Banned
You wont find any sugar coating the outcome with me or SPIN.

This was a total "CAVE".

I have no doubt the Madison Atty received a handshake and congrats from the police dept for doing a great job.

wiscollector

Banned
I hereby agree to be blocked and banned from this site!

Ban me now before I say what I really feel!

I mean it! I wish to no longer be a member.

--Duly noted & reported--

RR_Broccoli

:banana: This is great news. :banana:

And I'll add a :monkey for clean up purposes.