• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I am stun to hear that was denied from purchasing a handgun

Hacken

first i just want to say that i am from wisconsin. i recently just registered here because i am stun to hear from Gander Mountain that i was denied a purchase of firearms. I recently took my CCW class and sent in my 50 bucks to the Wisconsin Department of firearms two weeks ago. Yesterday i went to Gander's and purchased a glock 19 9mm and was told i wasn't going to be able to pick it up until wednesday or thursday but instead this morning i got a call saying i was denied. i am completely shocked to hear this. i know i have a clean record except for driving while license suspension 4 times when i was younger doing street racing and the other was i was charged as minor/juvi when i was 15 yrs old for grand theft auto but the judge told me i would just have to serv my probation/volunteering hrs and when i'm 18 it should all be clear which i did. i can't seem to get around on this as why i was denied. is there a secure website where i can do my own criminal background checking? i would really like to know..

bigdaddy1

Welcome also.

Did you receive your CCL? If so there should be no reason for your purchase denial. If your CCL was also declined you will need to investigate why.

Hacken

Welcome also.

Did you receive your CCL? If so there should be no reason for your purchase denial. If your CCL was also declined you will need to investigate why.

no, just sent it in two weeks ago. that 50 bucks is non-refundable. that would totally suck if i was denied that too. can a local PD do a criminal background check on you or is there a secure well known site out there that i can do on my own with a small fee?

bigdaddy1

no, just sent it in two weeks ago. that 50 bucks is non-refundable. that would totally suck if i was denied that too. can a local PD do a criminal background check on you or is there a secure well known site out there that i can do on my own with a small fee?

Not true, they will return the check to you uncashed from what I have been told. There are sites that do back ground checks but I have no idea what charges you may incur.

Captain Nemo

First don't panic. If two weeks have passed you only have one week to wait for a response from the DoJ.

(9) PROCESSING OF APPLICATION. (a) Upon receiving
an application submitted under sub. (7), the department
shall conduct a background check.
(b) Within 21 days after receiving a complete
application under sub. (7), the department shall do one of
the following:
1. Issue the license and promptly send the licensee his
or her license document by 1st class mail.
2. Deny the application, but only if sub. (3) (a), (b),
(c), (d), (e), (f), or (g) applies to the applicant. If the
department denies the application, the department shall
inform the applicant in writing, stating the reason and
factual basis for the denial.

If it is denied by the DoJ then they will tell you why in writing and you can go from there to fix the problem. If you are approved then there is a problem with the DoJ background check system.
I had a FFL for many years and some denials were for minor reasons. Stuff like wrong address, same name as a felon, wrong middle initial, zip code that didn't match address stuff like that. However, the grand theft auto is a felony. If the courts haven't expunged it when you turned 18 then you have a problem. You probably have to hire a lawyer to get the court records fixed. I have a grandson that had a similar problem. Couldn't get a job until it was fixed. The web site HHK cited will let you check your court file to see if the GTA charge is still active.

Wait till you hear from the DoJ on your CCL nextweek. That will give you an idea on what has to be fixed if anything.

bmwguy11

If you were charged with a felony as a minor I think that disqualifies you. The judge saying "it would all be clear" doesn't mean much.

Hacken

i think i'm going to call the ATF headquarters and see what's up with the denial application.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
Is this your first firearm purchase, ever?

You may be able to go to the FBI.gov website, look up NICS, and start the appeal process. Doesn't WI use NICS to clear people?

it has been near 15 days for me waiting for a long gun purchase to go through, I am doing the U-Pin route to stop this nonsense.

Jason in WI

Not true, they will return the check to you uncashed from what I have been told. There are sites that do back ground checks but I have no idea what charges you may incur.

I know someone who was denied and they kept his check. I'm not 100% sure if they cashed it, I'll have to ask. I assume since it wasn't returned the state cashed it. I believe once they start the background check and you fail you lose your money.

RedRuger

Firearms Purchase Denied

A couple of thoughts:

Gander may have been misleading you. It is common here in Louisiana for the big box sporting goods stores to tell people that they have been DENIED when they have only been DELAYED. They simply don't want to be bothered holding a gun that they might sell today until the delay is cleared.

I would go back to Gander and ask for a copy of the NICS check transaction number and the denial number. Then get a copy of the NICS background check appeal form and send it in to find out why you were denied.

Captain Nemo

I repeat, NICS has nothing to do with handgun purchases in Wisconsin. There is no NICS record or appeal process. Handgun purchases are approved only by the Wisconsin Department of Justice.

bigdaddy1

I know someone who was denied and they kept his check. I'm not 100% sure if they cashed it, I'll have to ask. I assume since it wasn't returned the state cashed it. I believe once they start the background check and you fail you lose your money.

Even if they kept the part for the NICS check they would have to return the license fee portion. A friend of mine had his check returned uncashed but the reason he was denied was he filled out the forms wrong.

MackdaddyMP21

I repeat, NICS has nothing to do with handgun purchases in Wisconsin. There is no NICS record or appeal process. Handgun purchases are approved only by the Wisconsin Department of Justice.

I believe that is incorrect. The WI DOJ serves as the point of contact / liason for NICS in Wisconsin. The WI DOJ still runs any applicant through the NICS system.