• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

shots fired in Milwaukee

MKEgal

In the last 4 minutes I've counted over 50 shots fired.
Sounds like it's within maybe 4 blocks of here.
No sirens yet... maybe the ShotSpotter in our neighborhood is broken?
Will be watching the 9:00 / 10:00 news to see what happened.

MKEgal

Another 25 or so.
Just called 911 to see if they'd already heard about it.
Idiot dispatcher asked if I saw anything. :banghead:
I told her "I'm in my house, & I'm not going out to look!!"

And yet more.
Man, they have a huge magazine, or maybe 2 guns?

Zeus

Not trying to be a chauvinistic jerk but are you sure they were gun shots and not fireworks? Just asking, anyone can make that mistake.

MKEgal

It's possible, but I don't think it's likely.
In this area, esp. not on New Year's or 04JUL, more likely to be bullets.

It wasn't rapid enough to make me think it was a string of firecrackers,
wasn't spaced enough to make me think they were individual fireworks.
But sounded like very deliberate shooting.
Less than a second apart, most of them, but not much less.
And if they were fireworks, they sounded like .40 cal fireworks, at least.

BTW, still no sirens.

cudahogs

I called about 3 years ago for the same reason. Many police showed but there were no sirens or lights. Just cops with weapons drawn looking in yards.
You'll do well to retreat to your basement.

protias

But ShotSpotter is supposed to prevent crime...or at least that's what MPD said...You should have asked if it was currently up and running, and working.

protias

MKEgal, Have you thought about getting Police and Fire scanner?
Milwaukee is now mostly on OpenSky, so no one can listen to what is going on their neighborhood (even the cops because they system still doesn't work right).

Last edited:

treebound

What general part of town is this in? We're down at Children' Hosp, maybe we'll take the long way home.

Fireworks have a different report or sound to then, along with random frequency (usually).

But the 4th is coming up so hopefully that's all it is.

MKEgal

Near 43rd & Hampton. Not exactly sure where the noise is, but over thataway.
Haven't heard any sirens, but no more shots either.
If it were closer I would have considered the basement, but I think there are enough other houses (trees, people, cars, etc.) between me & there that I wouldn't be hit.
And yeah, it was a very measured sound, almost regular.

GlockRDH

Hey Joe..i thought 'opensky' was more of a (nonfunctional) system that allowed different departs to all intercommunicate...whereas each dept (MPD,rescue squad, fire, MilConty) would all still have their seperate frequencies...?? I may have to research that one...

protias

I'm not sure if it is the entire county or just the city (I'm pretty sure it is the county) police. Fire is planned to go on it, but they are fighting it a bit. I still hear some police freqs operational, so I'm not sure how complete the install is. Let me say, there have been numerous complaints by officers on that stupid system. Oh, and I can complain about it as much as I want here with them deleting my post, unlike their facebook page... :rolleyes:

Jason in WI

Not trying to be a chauvinistic jerk but are you sure they were gun shots and not fireworks? Just asking, anyone can make that mistake.

At least for me its very distinctive. My girlfriend and I stayed at my parents house for a couple of months in between apartments a while back and I used the whole "firework" excuse. She thought it was funny they would light firecrackers at odd hours at random.

That held up until three or four rounds impacted the house and one bounced around the drop celling for a bit, needless to say she put two and two together and was she pissed!

Oh did I mention my parents live in a school zone? So much for that magical 1000' zone that keeps the kids safe.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

treebound

A number of years ago when I lived in southern California next to a freeway I thought there was a big gunfight going on. It sounded like a series of double and triple taps going back and forth, sometimes a dozen or more. Eventually I wandered cautiously outside and peeked over the barrier wall where the shots were coming from. Turned out it was a sheet of wood on the freeway and everytime a car or truck ran over it it would make a sound like gunfire.

I haven't seen anything on the news yet, might have missed it, but hopefully all is well now.

Max

All that gunfire in Kilwaukee should come to an abrupt end because we most likely will have a training and permitting requirement for gun licenses. The people that live within a school zone do not have to worry about people shooting guns.

wild boar

It will be so nice; to once again,...

All that gunfire in Milwaukee should come to an abrupt end because we most likely will have a training and permitting requirement for gun licenses. The people that live within a school zone do not have to worry about people shooting guns.

...walk down town, go up to the north side, spend the day at the Domes, a picnic in the park there. OMG, I've a tear in my eye,sooooo happy! :shocker:

M

McX

interesting things you get to see in the big city. some years ago, i worked at a factory in a bad part of town. though we were behind the fence, we could sit outside, at break, and watch the comings, and goings on. some highlights included: one time at 3 am, a guy obviously running from the cops, dumps a big bag into a dumpster in our view, then returned to get it later, after the cops left. we would find spent rounds on the roof of the building, and sit and listen to the gunfire at all hours of the night. one night we heard: pop, pop, pop, followed a few moments later by boom, boom. all in attendance determined that boom boom won the conflict over pop pop.

wild boar

I love my pop pop...

...I can fire two, three hundred practice rounds, followed by fifty of my ( boom boom ) and leave with my shirt on. Both arms, both legs, hell a good day at shooters! :D