• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wal-Mart Store #4413 on Saron Drive, Lexington, KY - DO NOT PATRONIZE

Savage206

I was out at my local Wal-Mart store today picking up a few items and was approached by a manager and told I was not allowed to openly carry my pistol while shopping in their store. I tired to explain to the manager that I was under the impression that Wal-Mart Corporate policy is that each Wal-Mart location adheres to State Law in the states they are located. I have written an email to Wal-Mart Corporate and will keep you guys apprised of any response I receive.

Email I sent Below:

To Whom It May Concern:

This evening (Sunday August 29th @ 8:15 PM) I was shopping at your Wal-Mart Location on Saron Dr. in Lexington, KY. Store #4413. During my shopping I was approached by the manager and told that I was not allowed to carry my sidearm openly in their store. I was told that this was Wal-Mart Corporate Policy for ALL of your stores country wide. I tried to explain to the manager that it is Wal-Mart's policy to follow state law where each store is located. I was told this is not correct. I belong to a forum online called OpenCarry.org with 50,000+ members who have had extensive contact with other managers at different stores and I was under the impression that each Wal-Mart location adhered to State Law regarding the open carry of personal defense weapons (pistol). Can you clarify the Corporate Policy for Wal-Mart in the State of Kentucky for me at your earliest convenience? I will state, that him approaching me had nothing to do with any customer complaints (I had been in the store less that 30 seconds) Due to being with my sister, who has limited mobility and had already begun placing items in her basket, I chose to return to the parking lot and place my sidearm in my vehicle. I will however, no longer patronize this store unless a satisfactory resolution can be reached. I will also be placing Wal-Mart store #4413 on a "DO NOT PATRONIZE" list on OpenCarry.org and similar forums to let the general public know that this particular Wal-Mart location does not support the second amendment and/or the individuals right to protect themselves or their loved ones while shopping at your store. If the manager was mistaken and this IS NOT Wal-Mart's policy I would appreciate some sort of communication from corporate to this store to correct them on their "policy." Thank you for your time and I look forward to your response.

-Savage206

**EDIT** I brielfy did look for any signs saying that carrying my firearm was not allowed and saw none.

Last edited:

Savage206

I asked him and it was like Walter or Michael or something....honestly I was pretty pissed and I forgot... :cry: I would remember him if I saw him and when I get a response from corporate I plan on going back.

I do remember asking him for his last name and he got an attitude and said " my first name is all you need..." I then said "wow thanks for being so cooperative...." On my way out one of his employees came up as he was gathering carts and gave me a pseudo apology for his manager. Imagine that, an employe apologizing for his supervisor. I thanked that guy and left.

Last edited:

neuroblades

I asked him and it was like Walter or Michael or something....honestly I was pretty pissed and I forgot... :cry: I would remember him if I saw him and when I get a response from corporate I plan on going back.

I do remember asking him for his last name and he got an attitude and said " my first name is all you need..." I then said "wow thanks for being so cooperative...." On my way out one of his employees came up as he was gathering carts and gave me a pseudo apology for his manager. Imagine that, an employe apologizing for his supervisor. I thanked that guy and left.

You are correct Savage, WM's policy is that their stores are to follow the laws of the states in which they operate. I've even got a voicemail from their "Market Office" (corporate) states as such! This manager is far off base. You did the correct thing in contacting WM coroporate office though.

Johnburns15

Keep me up to date on what's going on. I've shopped at that walmart several times while ocing. So I'd loke to know what you find out.

Savage206

You guys should organize an OC DAY at That Walmart.. 50 people walk in at the same time..let's see em kick you out then...

now THAT would be fun!! If I have enough people that are interested, I will for sure organize that. any opportunity to educate the ignorant sheeple is time well spent in my book.

Savage206

You are correct Savage, WM's policy is that their stores are to follow the laws of the states in which they operate. I've even got a voicemail from their "Market Office" (corporate) states as such! This manager is far off base. You did the correct thing in contacting WM coroporate office though.

I read somewhere on a different forum that WM may have changed their policy and now leaves it up to each District Manager to decide in their district. I will absolutely let you know what I find out though. Thanks for the kind words. My family thinks I am silly for pursuing this but I refuse to lie down for self-empowered know-it-alls. I am an American and take that responsibility seriously.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I read somewhere on a different forum that WM may have changed their policy and now leaves it up to each District Manager to decide in their district. I will absolutely let you know what I find out though. Thanks for the kind words. My family thinks I am silly for pursuing this but I refuse to lie down for self-empowered know-it-alls. I am an American and take that responsibility seriously.

Walmart has not changed their policy. They still have a corporate policy governing all stores. I worked there as an operations manager until very recently when I accepted a new job.

Titan357

I would love to meet some other open carrier's but sadly that store is a bit over 4 hours of driving for me to get to. :cry:

Too far from paintsville.

Good luck though!

The walmart here in paintsville, prestonsburg and pikeville seem cool with it.
As does Foodcity and Biglots, K-mart and gamestop.

langzaiguy

If we were to organize in this fashion, I think it may be bad PR for OC. I think we would come off as gun brandishing bullies trying to get their way when in reality we're the ones being bullied. Maybe we should do an OC litter pick up for Walmart? It's certainly important to stand up for one's rights, we just need to do it in a positive way. Keep in mind, the media is often watching and often likes to sensationalize--especially in liberal fashion.

mem1977

I live in Floyd County and haven't open carried in Walmart yet. I've only been carrying a few days now, but I've seen several people carry here in the store with no problem. GIVE'EM HELL MAN! LOL STAND YOUR GROUND!
:banana::monkey

neuroblades

I would love to meet some other open carrier's but sadly that store is a bit over 4 hours of driving for me to get to. :cry:

Too far from paintsville.

Good luck though!

The walmart here in paintsville, prestonsburg and pikeville seem cool with it.
As does Foodcity and Biglots, K-mart and gamestop.

It took quite awhile to get P-burg Food City that way! *LOL* As well as Paintsville WM. Yiou should stop in P-burg FC OC'ing. It would be great to get to see and meet others that are OC'ing locally. :)

DrakeZ07

I'm only 45mins from the store in question; would be happy to tag along for any sort of OC event in Lexington... Just promise me I won't be dragged off in hand-cuffs xD

Also; could someone cite, or link a Ky Law, or KRS verse that gives us the right/ability to OC within a store? That would be useful to me when I do decide to OC in the local walmart.

Thanks~

CharleyCherokee

I love that explanation, Gutshot. It is very telling of the society these days how often I hear a request for a law saying something is legal. Philosophically speaking.... If there were no laws there'd be no crime. ;)

Boomer1948

Wal-Mart Liberalism

Store manager's name is on the top of every receipt.
Boomer

Last edited:

mem1977

I open carried the other day in Walmart at Prestonsburg, KY and never had a word said to me. I think it all depends on where you live in Kentucky. Seems like central and western KY Walmarts are always giving people trouble carrying their guns. Eastern Kentucky seems more laid back.

UnfetteredMight

I've been in banks in Bullitt and Jefferson counties and even in the city of Louisville and so far, not even a word. Took care of business just like any other Joe.

One in particular close to the west end of Louisville even had thick bullet proof glass surrounding the tellers. Guess they understood my reasoning, I probably didn't fit the profile and they didn't have anything to worry about anyway with the glass LOL.