• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Virginia Tech Held Liable for Delayed Alert During 2007 Massacre

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
From one of the links... the state protects its own, of course... State law limits the actual liability to $100,000 each.

TFred

That sucks. The important part though is that the state was found guilty. I think that is what the families were really seeking.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
Of course the money means some thing, but this appears to establish a precedent that the university is at least responsible for warning its students of the potential for danger, when an event has occurred. This of course does not address the potential liability they may see for disarming students and then not providing fully for their protection.

Thundar

What they ought to be held liable for is creating a victim disarmament zone, with known consequences that unfortunately materialized.

Virginia Tech banned the citizens natural right to self defence. VT had an obligation to provide for the defence of those kids. Their failure to deliver on that obligation was an epic fail.

Repeater

Meanwhile, in other news ...

Colin Goddard proves he will always be delusional:

Va. Tech victim speaks out about Ga. gun bill
A survivor of the Virginia Tech campus shooting is speaking out against a controversial bill that would allow some Georgia teens to carry concealed weapons.

Since Colin Goddard was shot four times in the infamous 2007 shooting, he has been devoted to keeping guns away from students.

To say that guns is a solution to gun violence is ridiculous, and the fact that we think students should be allowed to shoot it out with themselves is just an absurd idea,” he told Channel 2’s Linda Stouffer.

Goddard came to the Georgia Capitol on Wednesday to stand with a coalition of people against a state Senate-approved bill that would lower the age to carry a concealed weapon.

Currently, Georgia residents must be at least 21 to get a concealed weapons permit. There is no training needed. The new proposal would open it up to 18, 19 and 20-year-olds, as long as they go through four hours of classroom instruction, four hours of training on a firing range and pass a test.

The bill has vocal opponents. Many of them worry that with more young people getting access to guns, the weapons could end up at schools.

“We should reject any amendment, any legislation and effort that would allow guns on college campuses,” state Sen. Vincent Fort told Stouffer.

What a fool. Guns already are on campus, carried by cops and evil doers.

But what really gets me is what Colin said here: "To say that guns is a solution to gun violence is ridiculous."

But he's OK with cops using guns to "solve"[sic] gun problems. I guess he prefers lawsuits.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
Colin Goddard proves he will always be delusional:

But what really gets me is what Colin said here: "To say that guns is a solution to gun violence is ridiculous."

Chin Chin nailed it. Violent response to violence is not an acceptable solution to a person who has determined that their life (and yours) means so little that they'd rather be victimized. If only he'd state it in this way, people would put 2 and 2 together and discover the real reason he and other of his ilk don't want anyone having guns. Truth be told, he's probably be just fine with the concept that the police don't have them either.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
It makes one wonder.

Out of all the potentially great minds that were destroyed that day, why was this idiot left alive.

Just as his idiot father did, he will probably reproduce and give the world more idiot children to contend with,:cry:

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
It makes one wonder.

Out of all the potentially great minds that were destroyed that day, why was this idiot left alive.

It could be that he remains alive to be a pinnacle example to the world that no matter the hell one has seen, some people will willingly continue to peddle policies that cater to predators and purposefully do nothing to stand against the face of evil. As such he is a willing accomplice to predators and no friend to victims or their families, despite being a victim himself.

Perhaps people are too charitable to come to that conclusion on their own or state as much though.

Last edited:

67GT390FB

it could be that he remains alive to be a pinnacle example to the world that no matter the hell one has seen, some people will willingly continue to peddle policies that cater to predators and purposefully do nothing to stand against the face of evil. As such he is a willing accomplice to predators and no friend to victims or their families, despite being a victim himself.

Perhaps people are too charitable to come to that conclusion on their own or state as much though.

its all about the money you think he goes through this dog and pony show for free? Ymmv

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
What they ought to be held liable for is creating a victim disarmament zone, with known consequences that unfortunately materialized.

+1

That, and pauperizing fines all around for Hinker's prior deceptive utterances that students could feel safe. False advertising that killed.

va_tazdad

I would just like to ask the professional victim one question.

Chin Chin nailed it. Violent response to violence is not an acceptable solution to a person who has determined that their life (and yours) means so little that they'd rather be victimized. If only he'd state it in this way, people would put 2 and 2 together and discover the real reason he and other of his ilk don't want anyone having guns. Truth be told, he's probably be just fine with the concept that the police don't have them either.

How well did his "verbal interdiction technique" work when he was being shot?

Seems to me that it sure didn’t work for him any of the 4 times he was shot!

mk4

How well did his "verbal interdiction technique" work when he was being shot?

Seems to me that it sure didn’t work for him any of the 4 times he was shot!

THIS!

had an interesting conversation with a family member awhile back.
she: "why do you feel a need to carry a gun everywhere?"
me: "trouble can find a person *anywhere*!"
she: "but this is a safe town. people are reasonable..."
me: "hypothetical ? for you... if we were sitting together having dinner at <insert name here> restaurant and a violent, armed perp barges in and is threatening people with mayhem, what scenario would you prefer? you, try to 'reason' with the perp not to maim/kill anyone, or, i defend us (and other innocents) as defined by the law of the commonwealth?"
she: blank stare. no comment. then, after a long delay... "defend us with your gun."

it's a beautiful thing when the light bulb lights up.