• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carrying in Wise, VA

Sherpernurnun

I am pretty new to open carrying but have been met with overwhelming support so far! I started carrying about a month ago everywhere I go (except college of course) and I have had a few notable experiences I thought I would share. I carry a glock 22 with my 22 round mag if anyone wanted to know. haha

First experience:

I went to McDonalds and was waiting in line when a gentlemen walked up behind me amd started walking closer toward me. I turned to face him and he began talking about how my Glock reminded him of a gun from the new 007 movie. It was kind of weird but I think he was sort of nervous about it.

Couple of times in Walmart I was asked by friends I used to work with if it was legal to just carry out in the open like I was. That kind of struck me that many people really don't know about gun laws even when it is a big topic on the news...go figure.

Only bad experience (if you could call it that):

I was going to the Bristol Mall and I figured I would carry like I usually do since the website had no policy stated that I could find. I entered into the Sears (no sign posted) and headed on into the mall. My girlfriend had to go to Kays so we walked down to it. We passed a security gaurd and I nodded at him as we passed...nothing. Went to Kays, picked up her sizing order and I we walked out two gaurds walked over and kindly told me I wasn't allowed to carry in the mall, I apologized and mentioned if I had been aware of the rule I wouldn't have brought it. They said if I took it to my car I could reenter but I was done with the visit so no harm.

Today I was in Walmart at the magazine rack and a gentleman walked over and said he wanted to come over and talk to me. He shook my hand and thanked me for wearing my gun proudly and remarked that they couldn't take that away from me. It looked like he was a bit emotional about it. It was a really great feeling that my choice to carry can affect people positively!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Congratulations and welcome to the site!

Sounds like you're doing just fine.
Malls are a problem but often stores within the mall are Pro.
If you enter and leave by that store's outside door, you should be OK.

You're in gun country so that's a plus.

BTW, you didn't type CHP even once.

That gives you 3 extra esteem points.

Last edited:

JohnM15A

I'm a newbie also but I have only gotten some long looks. Some folks have been extra friendly but I don't know if it had anything to do with OC. I guess most think I'm a old security guard. I carry an XDs (45ACP). I went to the VCDL meeting last night. If you are interested in you 2A rights VCDL is a great way to be involved ( http://www.vcdl.org/ ). Was a little weird to have the meeting in the same building as the Mason District police...

JohnM15A

thebigsd, understand but I have not been doing this for years so I felt a little weird but I'll get over it. I suspect when I get a few months under my belt I get used to it...

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
thebigsd, understand but I have not been doing this for years so I felt a little weird but I'll get over it. I suspect when I get a few months under my belt I get used to it...

Didn't mean that to come across as criticism, more as encouragement. :) And yes, the weirdness goes away pretty quick the more you carry...

JohnM15A

thebigsd, no prob, didn't take it as criticism... I do understand that seasoned pros are all comfortable and happy with OC. I hope to be there some day. I do worry that some goofy Lefty will jump in my stuff some day (I'm in NoVA) and make a scene. I guess my response will be to hand them an OC card... Or say something like: "I'm exercising my 2nd and your exercising your 1st"