• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tea Party Type On Majority Rule

JoeSparky

Centurion
Wouldn't they just then violate that part of the constitution too?........:p

IF they were to successfully amend the constitution (the method provided within the constitution) INSTEAD of making laws and attempting to enforce laws that violate the constitution then the laws they want to make would be constitutional. I may not like them but then they would be constitutional.

eye95

Yeah. No. Majority rule does not protect rights. It guarantees that the majority will take from the minority what it will. Slavery had the support of majority rule in those States where it was legal!

At the risk of being trite and repetitive, democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what is for dinner.

Give me a republic any day over a democracy. Unfortunately, mainly through misinformation spread in public schools, our Republic has degenerated into a despicable democracy.

Sorry, Ben, we couldn't keep it.

[video=youtube;N4r0VUybeXY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4r0VUybeXY&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DN4r0VUybeXY[/video]

On edit: Finally got the video to embed properly. Embedding while on my iPad doesn't work too well. The software makes assumptions about the limitations of an iPad as a mobile device that it should not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.
<O>

Last edited:

EMNofSeattle

Yeah. No. Majority rule does not protect rights. It guarantees that the majority will take from the minority what it will. Slavery had the support of majority rule in those States where it was legal!

At the risk of being trite and repetitive, democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what is for dinner.

Give me a republic any day over a democracy. Unfortunately, mainly through misinformation spread in public schools, our Republic has degenerated into a despicable democracy.

[video]http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=N4r0VUybeXY&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DN4r0VUybeXY[/video]

<O>

It depends, I agree to some extent that majority rule should be a concept in use for determining law and powers within the framework granted by the constitution, when it comes to rights... no.

Majority rule brought us slavery, and segregation, and if put up for a vote I have no doubt the internment of AMERICAN citizens of japanese descent would've passed. Just a few years ago the people of alabama voted not to remove segregation from the state constitution. my rights are not up for a vote. and no one's rights should be either....

eye95

It depends, I agree to some extent that majority rule should be a concept in use for determining law and powers within the framework granted by the constitution, when it comes to rights... no.

Majority rule brought us slavery, and segregation, and if put up for a vote I have no doubt the internment of AMERICAN citizens of japanese descent would've passed. Just a few years ago the people of alabama voted not to remove segregation from the state constitution. my rights are not up for a vote. and no one's rights should be either....

I would say that what you are advocating is not really majority rule, but a republic with some democratic features, but only those democratic features that the republican design deliberately incorporated, such as the election of representatives. Unfortunately, creeping democracy has taken over so much of the governance of our erstwhile Republic that Rights are no longer protected from a majority of hungry wolves with a taste for minority lamb. With mint jelly. And some fava beans. With a nice chianti.

sudden valley gunner

On edit: Finally got the video to embed properly. Embedding while on my iPad doesn't work too well. The software makes assumptions about the limitations of an iPad as a mobile device that it should not.

<O>

If you count those oppressed into slavery who were not allowed a vote it was not the majority at all.........not even close.

Last edited:

EMNofSeattle

If you count those oppressed into slavery who were not allowed a vote it was not the majority at all.........not even close.

which brings us to the second rule of majority rule, majority rule, actually means the majority allowed (in practice, becuase in many times throughout history voters have simply been suppressed from voting even if they were technically allowed to) to vote in the first place....

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

which brings us to the second rule of majority rule, majority rule, actually means the majority allowed (in practice, becuase in many times throughout history voters have simply been suppressed from voting even if they were technically allowed to) to vote in the first place....

Yes it often just means the "stronger party". Since I don't believe in might=right I reject that notion.