• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Detained at Sonny's BBQ

sraacke

From a reliable source I have found out that the audio and video does not exist.

Oooofffff course. Why is this not a suprise? Let this be a teaching point for everyone... Always carry a recording device and use it. This isn't about "baiting" police or being a "activist" or acting like a douche. It's about having a record of the events which you can present as evidence of abuse of police power. It's a record which you will have after the Thin Blue Line closes ranks and manages to loose their copies of the video and audio recordings. It's about protecting yourself.

MainelyGlock

That's a disgusting way to be treated by law enforcement, much less four of them. Hope you at least file a complaint for each of them.

rmansu2

I started at the top. The event was reported directly to BRPD via a phone call to a number already stored in my cell.

When he heard what had happened he immediately started looking into it. He never supported the actions taken by the officers other than initial contact.

His supervisor is extremely pi$$ed and has opened a full blown investigation into the incident and all officers involved.

I just thank my stars that there is a witness who willingly came forward. I didn't even know there was a witness other than passers-by.

Last edited:

MKEgal

It sounds like you're not going to go further than the Powers That Be at the PD.
But if you choose to pursue suits against the individual officers, I second the recommendation Paul made:
John Monroe is a genuine Good Guy.
You could email him, give him a link to this thread (or copy & paste what you wrote so far) & ask if he thinks that a suit against the officers is feasible (I'd guess yes) & if he'd be willing to handle it (again, I'm going to guess yes).

Jared

So they got a free search of your trunk as well. I love that tactic.

Recorders are necessary because many police when it comes to guns, a ton of police officers try to harass and threaten you like street thugs. They would have arrested you if they knew you were doing something illegal.

It's the bad apples that make the other **** of cops look bad.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom Gresham

So they got a free search of your trunk as well. I love that tactic.

Recorders are necessary because many police when it comes to guns, a ton of police officers try to harass and threaten you like street thugs. They would have arrested you if they knew you were doing something illegal.

It's the bad apples that make the other **** of cops look bad.

And, any "good cop" who knows about the bad apples and doesn't do anything about can no longer be considered a good cop.

rmansu2

I found out after the fact that there was a good apple that showed up that I never saw.

Upon his arrival and assessing the situation, he called the Sgt because the officers were not handling the encounter properly.

I would have preferred he speak up at the time but am glad he made the call. I guess not everyone is a hero.

pfries

I found out after the fact that there was a good apple that showed up that I never saw.

Upon his arrival and assessing the situation, he called the Sgt because the officers were not handling the encounter properly.

I would have preferred he speak up at the time but am glad he made the call. I guess not everyone is a hero.

Many times it is the unsung, unseen or unheard hero that saves your butt. Just don't rely on it.

Operator_223

You were harrassed by cops that only knew half the law.

Since you were OC'ing and Not CC'ing the cop couldnt do anything about your permit, you only have to present it if you are CCing. ITs ritoo..ght there printed on the back of your license..... I have one too. One way or the other you were unfairly harrassed.

Look. the cops are eithere un-educated or are trying to bull the public.

a lot of cops now just dont like it when a citizen OC's because it digs into their image of badge and a gun. Watch out in New Orleans area particularly, there are a lot of very dirty cops that will just take your piece and say thank you have a nice day...... what gun?

next time ask the cop specifically on what charges or reasonable suspicion am I being detained? No? Have a nice day then officer !!!

MKEgal

rmansu2 said:
I have yet to see the report, however I have heard what was in it.
Some of his points were stretched imagination while others were completely fabricated.
Say it isn't so! I'm shocked. [/sarcasm]

rmansu2 said:
Good for him!
We need more like that.

rmansu2

UPDATE

The initiating officer is no longer a member of BRPD and will not be able to get a job in the surrounding areas in any capacity as an officer or EMS.

Yes, I said EMS. I only know this because he tried to apply and was denied because of the way he treated the public while on the force.

Black_water

What I find ironic about all of this is that cops everywhere (even here in AZ) always say the same stuff: we have to respond when people call 911 about someone with a weapon.

Hmmmm....

So we can lawfully carry a weapon openly, yet we have to be shaken down when someone calls 911. Does this apply to everything? If someone calls 911 because there is a (insert color here) person in their neighborhood, do the cops have to respond and shake them down?

Maybe I am going the wrong way with this, but I think these things are the same.

countryclubjoe

Time and time again I read about abuse of police power on this board however there is never any follow up action. Where are the lawsuits? When will someone post some follow up about taking action against these criminals with badges.

The moderators should start a sub thread titled Case filed. Victory's or Defeats?

Civil litigation is a must to get the point across about the 2A.

Hold the violators accountable, hit them in the pocket and make there miserable life more miserable.

My .02

Best regards.

CCJ

Seigi

Since you were OC'ing and Not CC'ing the cop couldnt do anything about your permit, you only have to present it if you are CCing.

Where are you getting this? From my reading of the statute, you could be fined for failing to produce the permit if asked for it while swimming - no guns involved. Whether it'd be applied is a separate matter, but I didn't see language limiting the requirement to produce to where the permit was being used.

mmclin

Where are you getting this? From my reading of the statute, you could be fined for failing to produce the permit if asked for it while swimming - no guns involved. Whether it'd be applied is a separate matter, but I didn't see language limiting the requirement to produce to where the permit was being used.

You are correct. The first sentence under the Duties of Permittees section, on the http://www.lsp.org/handguns.html#duties link, states; "The permit shall be retained by the permittee who shall immediately produce it upon the request of any law enforcement officer."

If a LEO asks for it, you have to show it. It does not matter if you have a weapon or not.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

rmansu2

You are correct. The first sentence under the Duties of Permittees section, on the http://www.lsp.org/handguns.html#duties link, states; "The permit shall be retained by the permittee who shall immediately produce it upon the request of any law enforcement officer."
I agree with everything you said. The ct still stand that he didn't ask for my permit. He asked for my identification. I could have have offered him a library card if I had one.