• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Listen to Local Police Scanner or Free

wolffe

"hey bill?" *radio fuzz* "go ahead tom" *radio fuzz* "yeeeeeeeaah i'm getting quite hungry, meet me over at the dunkin donuts for a filler" *short radio fuzz* "affirmative"

Sheriff

Scanning has been one of my favorite hobbies for the last 40 years. I prefer to have the equipment needed and listen to all my local channels. A few years back the local agencies went to a 800 trunking system. The press releases advised people they could no longer use their old scanners to listen in. Most people fell for it. What they hadn't told people was that were indeed newer 800 trunking scanners available. Because I didn't approve of the way the press release had attempted to deceive people, I put the word out on the street for people buying new 800 scanners that I would program them free.

Anyhow, I had to buy all new scanners for my cars, trucks, and vans. And I have been quite busy programming the new 800 scanners for people all over the city and county here.

SaintJacque

Droid app

I've been using an app on my Droid called "scanner radio" which does basically the same thing. It's awesome, I can listen to the Federal Way PD's signal, it even runs in the background.

Sig229

Scanning has been one of my favorite hobbies for the last 40 years. I prefer to have the equipment needed and listen to all my local channels. A few years back the local agencies went to a 800 trunking system. The press releases advised people they could no longer use their old scanners to listen in. Most people fell for it. What they hadn't told people was that were indeed newer 800 trunking scanners available. Because I didn't approve of the way the press release had attempted to deceive people, I put the word out on the street for people buying new 800 scanners that I would program them free.

Anyhow, I had to buy all new scanners for my cars, trucks, and vans. And I have been quite busy programming the new 800 scanners for people all over the city and county here.

Thats great.

I just recently put a Uniden Bearcat trunking scanner in my truck and I use a 9" antenna that I bolted onto my roof rack.

I notice if I have the volume turned up and the windows down while Im sitting at a traffic light, the people in the next car over will look in my direction puzzled. They hear a police radio but they arent sure if its a police vehicle. LOL

Here's a pic of the scanner I have in my vehicle:
ubc780xlt.jpg

sultan62

I wouldn't mind getting a scanner when I acquire the necessary funds. Are there any specific features I should be looking for in a scanner? Anywhere particularly well-priced?

Dreamer

I'm using "5-0 Radio Lite" on my iPhone, It's free and it's got pretty good features. There is a "pay" version for $1.99, but I'm pretty happy with the free version so far.

The bad thing about ALL these internet-based scanners is that you don't get coverage for many rural area. My county (Beaufort) has NO coverage at all on any of these net-based scanners--no fire, EMS, police, NOTHING... Bu tI can listen to the county where I go to school, and the truth is, their radio traffic is probably a LOT more interesting anyway...

http://appshopper.com/utilities/5-0-radio-live-police-ems-fire-rescue-scanner