• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My yearly detainment in Portland.

boyscout399

Florida v J.L.--"anonymous tips have NO predictive value relative to firearms". It is hard to understand why his attorney did not appeal based on this Supreme Court ruling. The judge talks around the fact of the illegal stop and search. He knows what the police did was wrong in many ways but uses the power of his position to mold an opinion which gives the appearance of legitimacy to the actions of the police.

DeBerry is not a supreme court ruling. It is from the 7th Circuit.

inhiliator5000

I saw this on r/guns on reddit and my first thought was open carry forums!

Excellent job sir! You were very polite & professional.

Keep sticking it to the man and sticking up for your (our) rights

SovereignAxe

I saw this on r/guns on reddit and my first thought was open carry forums!

Excellent job sir! You were very polite & professional.

Keep sticking it to the man and sticking up for your (our) rights

that was me lol

It caused quite the discussion on reddit and jumped my link karma from 300ish to over a 1000 hahaha

KBCraig

Saw you on copblock.org today, too.

Great job on the video. You knew your stuff and presented it without being confrontational, and were polite without backing down. Great job keeping your cool.

Of course, you might want to opt for sterile carry in the future, so that you don't have anything to give them.

ppardue1

Absolutely the best interaction I have ever witnessed. I wish I could conduct myself to only half that caliber if stopped!

boyscout399

Great job on the video. You knew your stuff and presented it without being confrontational, and were polite without backing down. Great job keeping your cool.

Of course, you might want to opt for sterile carry in the future, so that you don't have anything to give them.

There are times when I pass through school zones in my daily life which requires carrying the CCW permit. I'm not going out looking to get stopped. I'm just out minding my own business.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
Good job! I just watched the video you linked and the one you posted a while back (audio for the older one). Good job remaining calm. I hope I can keep my calm when I get confronted as you did (it's inevitable that sooner or later it will happen since I open carry all the time). Thanks for standing up for your rights!

DocWalker

I would also file 42 USC 1986 Neglect to Prevent on the PD, the city, the Chief and administrative staff personally (allowed under Chapter 42 law) the City Attorney personally, the Mayor personally and perhaps even every member of the city council personally.

I looked into it a couple years ago and you can file per se (personally, without attorney) for ~$250 and all paperwork is available on line or at the Federal Courts building from the Clerk of the Courts office.

Sue the PD and the city for $1 million each (it doesn't cost any extra), and each individual for $500,000 just to get their attention (ever heard the joke about training a mule?), agree to settle for costs, a little something for your trouble, training and a strict adherence by the PD to your cited case law and refuse a confidentiality agreement which would keep you from spreading the word.

I agree this is the only way to get their attention. Until they have to pay a couple of lawsuits they will just ingnore the situation. How many years have you been stopped? Guess what will happen next year?

amzbrady

your story and video has made it's way into the Washington Forum as well, I would say everyone would agree you did a great job in handleing the interaction. You did an awesome job and I hope if you fired off a letter to the chief of police, that we get the update of the outcome.

I do have to wonder what would the police do if we all started stopping them as they walk around and ask them to show proof that they are indeed public officials hired for "Law Enforcement". Yeah probably wouldnt go well. But I would bet most of them would resist.

Schlepnier

I'm also going to pop in here from the washington forums, great job!

Your video is a fine piece of training material for how to handle illegal detentions, i've already refered it to several people off the forums (mostly newbies)fortunately my only interaction with a LEO for OC only lasted 20 seconds since he knew the law and we went on our respective ways.

That being said the officer in your video by detaining you and disarming you commited a federal crime. in our state there is an additional state charge for an officer if he deprives a citizen unlawfully of their civil rights under official misconduct statutes, not sure if maine has something similar....however i would litigate it even though i am not a letigious person either. the law is the law and they have no qualified immunity in this case. sometimes legal action is what it takes to get a department to straighten up their act.

Carry on!
:banana:

WCrawford

I linked the video to Coplock's facebook page.

Dreamer

While I realize that finding an attorney familiar with this type of action is the first step, you appear to have a solid basis for a 1983 , civil right violation. The Portland PD has established a pattern that might only be broken by an expensive, for them, law suit. Have you considered this alternative? Such would not be my first choice, but being stopped 7 times in 4 years is excessive.

Realize that such can be an expensive consideration
, but feel confident that there are people here that would step forward to lighten the burden if the facts and documentation were to merit such.

Actually, I was under the impression that filing a Federal "1983" civil rights violation suit only had a $300 filing fee--after that, the Feds pay for all the investigation, lawyer fees, and court fees, because the US DOJ is actually the party bringing the suit..

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Actually, I was under the impression that filing a Federal "1983" civil rights violation suit only had a $300 filing fee--after that, the Feds pay for all the investigation, lawyer fees, and court fees, because the US DOJ is actually the party bringing the suit..

That is always a possibility, though it might or might not be the recommended way. First step is to seek competent legal advice.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Patience is a commendable virtue. Time and thoughtful approaches will work if given a chance. Keep all of the winning cards, discard the rest and lets see how this hand plays out.