• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ignorance of the Law Is No Excuse Unless you work in law enforcement', Radley Balko

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
http://reason.com/archives/2010/08/02/ignorance-of-the-law-is-no-exc/
EXCERPT said:
That's the standard line motorists hear when they say they weren't aware of the speed limit, or gun owners hear when they say didn't know about the gun laws in the jurisdiction they happened to get arrested in. Yet that ignorance is pretty understandable in an America where just about everything is being criminalized. At the federal level alone there are now more than 4,500 separate crimes, and that's not counting the massive regulatory code, violations of which also can sometimes be punished with criminal charges.[My emphasis]

rodbender

BEEP-BEEP-BEEP...WARNING NOT OPEN CARRY RELATED!!!!!

But then, I suppose nothing will happen to you since you didn't know the rules and are a self appointed topic COP. Not one mention of open carry or even a firearm for that matter.

Last edited:

MamaLiberty

OC is certainly relevant to the article. OC has been treated as criminal even where it actually is not even "illegal." And those "mistakes" are just the victim's darn bad luck, far as the system is concerned.

This is very much on topic.

Last edited:

Jared

BEEP-BEEP-BEEP...WARNING NOT OPEN CARRY RELATED!!!!!

But then, I suppose nothing will happen to you since you didn't know the rules and are a self appointed topic COP. Not one mention of open carry or even a firearm for that matter.

If this is off topic then so is the mentioning of guns on this forum.

Have you ever read of one bad encounter on this forum where a LEO... didn't know the law????

rodbender

This article is related to bad officers, bad assistant DAs, and certainly bad court precedence. Not open carry or firearms. While it is true that open carriers are subjected to this kind of treatment, this article is more in line with recording of police officers in the course of their duties, not open carry or firearms.

I would not and do not say anything about what topics are written about on this forum. But.....when a self appointed topic cop post an article that does not mention open carry or even firearms.....I couldn't help myself.

I do bring obvious spam to the attention of the owners (via PM with a link) and that is the extent of my involvement with policing. If anyone wants to PM John or Mike about off topic posts, get after it. Other than that you should keep your mouth shut. IT'S NOT YOUR FORUM TO WASTE THE BANDWITH ON.

my .02

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
Myob!

IT'S NOT YOUR FORUM TO WASTE THE BANDWITH ON. my .02
Heh heh heh. PM the administrator, that's "Private Message", with your private problem. 40% of the posts in this thread are from one wastrel complaining about waste.

The administrator knows that he can delete or lock my posts and has done so many times and has censured me many times. MYOB!

kwikrnu

Banned
Heh heh heh. PM the administrator, that's "Private Message", with your private problem. 40% of the posts in this thread are from one wastrel complaining about waste.

The administrator knows that he can delete or lock my posts and has done so many times and has censured me many times. MYOB!

If I post, this thread has a higher chance of being locked. lol

RussP

Open carriers...:

...Encounter law enforcement officers who are ignorant of the law, unclear as to the details of the law, and some who misapply the law.

...promote knowing and obeying all laws related to owning and carrying firearms.

...do carry recording devices, audio and video, and should know the laws of their state relating to using them.

...should understand they need to be prepared for bad things to happen.

Sounds like the topics in the opinion piece provide learning points for open carriers.

But, that's just my opinion...

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
I am leaving the thread because the article in the original post does discuss an interesting legal point. The bickering and back and forth though make it clear that there is no further value in allowing the thread to continue so I am closing it.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.