• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Do you think that this is just too crazy an idea?

David Turner

Over on the ArmBritain forum, I proposed the idea that a Brit should seek asylum in the US. The claim would be that he is being persecuted politically, owing to the State denying him the right to effective defence of his person ... and forcing him to rely upon the State's machinery for his personal protection.

Now, recent admissions by the UK Police, have revealed that there is only one policeman on the streets for every 18,000 citizens. Clearly, the State cannot hope to safeguard the lives of the people.

Such an asylum claim might have the effect of raising the profile of "liberty" in the UK ... irrespective of whether the claim succeeds, or not.

What do you think? Would this idea have any legs?

It seems to me that we Libertarians need to become a little more aggressive in our demands.

Daylen

Its worth a shot I guess, but you certainly won't get any sympathy from my countries current administration. You'd be better off saying they infringed on your right to smoke a joint or didn't guarantee you a good enough job.

David Turner

Well, I've spoken to a number of people about this. No-one really seems to know whether it would work; even lawyers don't really know.

So, I guess I'll have to find some other avenue. To have such a scheme fail would do more harm than good, I think.

Still, I'm open to good ideas.

Daylen

If you have over a bunch of money to invest in a business over here there is an application that would move you to the front of the line. but its maybe 500k or 10 jobs or something like that. If you are young enough joining our armed services is a way to get in after serving a term.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Now, recent admissions by the UK Police, have revealed that there is only one policeman on the streets for every 18,000 citizens.

UK Gov't: "Oh, tosh, it's all well in hand! Stiff upper lip, and all..."

Clearly, the State cannot hope to safeguard the lives of the people.

Not with those ratios, no.

Such an asylum claim might have the effect of raising the profile of "liberty" in the UK ... irrespective of whether the claim succeeds, or not.

I don't know. You might try the military service angle. I'm sure our government would love the press!

It seems to me that we Libertarians need to become a little more aggressive in our demands.

I'd use the word "insistant," but yes.

SFCRetired

FWIW, I have been told that the military will not sign you up unless you have a green card. I tried to get my step daughter enlisted and that is what we came up against.

suntzu

Over on the ArmBritain forum, I proposed the idea that a Brit should seek asylum in the US. The claim would be that he is being persecuted politically, owing to the State denying him the right to effective defence of his person ... and forcing him to rely upon the State's machinery for his personal protection.

Now, recent admissions by the UK Police, have revealed that there is only one policeman on the streets for every 18,000 citizens. Clearly, the State cannot hope to safeguard the lives of the people.

Why seek asylum--why not just emigrate? You might gain political asylum in the US by using this claim--I mean the UK did allow two high profile Russians asylum--so maybe the US would provide asylum to British citizens on the claim that the United Kingdom prohibits personal defense of self while forcing you to depend completely upon your ineffective government. I mean the UK was rated the most violent country in all of Europe for 2009--even more violent than the US....