• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

State of the OC in Washington

Agent 47

So I haven't been acosted by the local protectors in quite a while but hearing the courts siding against us in recient decisions has been concerning. In the past inspite of several LEO run ins I have always felt secure that the courts would back me up dispite the indavidual officers best efforts. Now with the courts siding with the opressors I feel like that security has been taken away. Any thoughts on this?

sudden valley gunner

So I haven't been acosted by the local protectors in quite a while but hearing the courts siding against us in recient decisions has been concerning. In the past inspite of several LEO run ins I have always felt secure that the courts would back me up dispite the indavidual officers best efforts. Now with the courts siding with the opressors I feel like that security has been taken away. Any thoughts on this?

No it hasn't been taken away, this is an isolated locality that is doing this, probably hoping against all odds they'll get a case but, Drew is going to nail them to the wall. I am confident of this.

Now it might take time, there is a process he has to go through, but I am sure we will win.

amlevin

So far, it appears that only the Prosecutor in Clark County wants to "play".

Overall things are looking better. 2 favorable SCOTUS rulings in recent time, a State Legislature that is considering a bill to remove the stupid prohibition on "USE" of a suppressor, and the overall reluctance of Congress to consider any radical firearms restrictions, things aren't too bad.

It would appear that encounters have still remained at the level of some enthusiastic officers posturing and trying to show everyone who's in charge but no arrests or charges. Just harassment.

BTW, where have you been? Thought you might have been in jail or something.

Agent 47

LOL. no, I got a new job that I have to CC at. Guess I cant complain, boss said no problem with carrying at work but asks me to CC. But almost every weekend I jump on the motorcycle and head around the county keeping up on my OC practice but havnt had any issues in such a long time I havn't had much to post about. Maybe I should shave my head again, apperiences make such a difference.

jbone

Huh?, Ive been open carrying most days for over six years. I didnt even get a CPL untill my fifth or sixth police run in while open carrying.

How many run in's total, and all from one department?

Agent 47

How many run in's total, and all from one department?
Not from the same department Actually the only department in king or snogomish county that I have yet to be involved with is Monroe PD. back when I first started the one who I got into it with the most was Marysville and tulalip tribal PD and by ascociation the Sno County sheriff department as that was where I lived at the time. I dont know how many times I have been contacted over the years especially in the early days, but I have been in handcuffs four times and pinned to the ground once with my face in the concrete. But things have cirtianly improved since that was commonplace. Most of the really bad experiences happened before I knew this board existed so I had little recourse to combat their actions. But once I had access to this resource the worse thing I have dealt with is verbal abuse and minor physical assault. Most officers will only break the law if they think they can get away with it. If you sound like you are well versed on the law and thus may be likely to cause them trouble if they break it, they tend to tread a little lighter around you.

sudden valley gunner

Most officers will only break the law if they think they can get away with it. If you sound like you are well versed on the law and thus may be likely to cause them trouble if they break it, they tend to tread a little lighter around you.

Yep, and then look for any other reason to "get ya". :lol:

Agent 47

Yeah, It was making me a little to well known, I even had a couple of very minor interactions with oficers while I was not OC'ing who knew me by reputation and apperience. one time I was up at the Oyster run and semi CC'ing had a anacortes PD officer who I had never met before ask "not open carrying today today I see"

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran

One case of a jury trial loss of .270 in one city, Vancouver. A similar case 'settled' because of the trial loss. Both cases had similar circumstances; loitering outside a business and both individuals talked with the Vancouver Police. I am certain that the appeal of the Vancouver case will be in the favor of OC, however, I would be aware of the 'circumstances' while visiting Vancouver.

A year and a half of OC for me in Seattle, Tacoma, Vancouver, King and Pierce Co. with LEO clearly visible in many instances and I have never had a contact that I haven't initiated. Including at the 4th of July on the Tacoma waterfront with over 40,000 people and hundreds of LEO and not a word said.

I have even more security because of the many who have gone before me and been detained in the past and will continue to carry open. I will be prepared; i.e. video and/or audio recorder present and continued study of my 4th/5th amendment rights.

Squeak

Yeah, It was making me a little to well known, I even had a couple of very minor interactions with oficers while I was not OC'ing who knew me by reputation and apperience. one time I was up at the Oyster run and semi CC'ing had a anacortes PD officer who I had never met before ask "not open carrying today today I see"
I've OC'd there and not a word, just a few looks. 1 gal wanted to know if I made holsters. She liked mine. All the ladies like my............................:D

Jeff Hayes

To all those that went before me, THANKS

Over 2 years, full time OC, 7 different states, in the presence of LEOs many times including Da Sheriff x 2, no problems havent even been asked to leave anywhere.

I have been told I wish you had been here 15 minutes ago, awesome, what caliber is that, do you always carry, and overheard my hair cuttter say Orphan carrys all the time the bad guys dont mess with him and on AND on.

Trigger Dr

Over 2 years, full time OC, 7 different states, in the presence of LEOs many times including Da Sheriff x 2, no problems havent even been asked to leave anywhere.

I have been told I wish you had been here 15 minutes ago, awesome, what caliber is that, do you always carry, and overheard my hair cuttter say Orphan carrys all the time the bad guys dont mess with him and on AND on.

Deros72, look out, you are going to get HAIR competetion from the East side......

FMCDH

I began to OC/CC interchangeably as soon as I turned 21, got my CPL and bought my first pistol, all back in 97. Back then, it hadn't even crossed my mind that OC may be frowned on, as I had seen police officers and others in Washington do it all my life.

It wasn't until nearly 6 years later in Seattle that I had my first bad encounter with LE, and 2 more from the same city quickly followed.

Since then, barely any bad encounters except an occasional half-hysteric waitress, or nervous looking mom shooing her kids along at double time. :(