• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

IWB holsters

64Impala

Does anyone open carry with a IWB holster? I'm assuming this is ok as long as the firearm isn't completely covered.

For those that use an IWB holster, any recommendations?

Much thanks

protias

What are you carrying? Yes, you can use an IWB holster as long as the shirt doesn't cover it up.

CalicoJack10

IWB Holsters are considered to conceal the sidearm.

I have 3 that I use when I carry outside Wisconsin or while I am doing something here that requires it.

Crossbreed Super Tuck Deluxe:

It is an OK holster, I have had it for about 2 months and is is still not broken in. Even though I have a lot of time invested in trying to get it to conform. It also took longer than expected to get here, but I was not complaining when I saw the craftsmanship. It is easy to draw from, and very easy to re-holster. All in all, I give it a fairly good opinion.

C. Rusty Sherrick Custom:

This is my oldest, and is in excellent condition. The leather is sturdy and it will handle just about anything I have thrown at it like it was nothing. This is the best holster I have ever had or seen.

Galco Triton Kydex:

This thing is nasty uncomfortable. I got it because the one I was wearing in TN last year was having retention problems and it was a total waste of my money. I ended up spending the rest of the trip only carrying my back up with a pocket holster.

So I would suggest (If you can afford it) to go with a total custom leather holster like my C. Rusty Sherrick, but if you can't I would say go with the Super Tuck Deluxe. I use the one of the 2 in all of my CC courses, and when I am traveling out of Wisconsin. And I always have both with me just in case.

But that is just my opinion.:dude:

Last edited:

64Impala

sorry - my bad. it probably would have been helpful to mention the pistol type. DUH!! :D

G19 and 9mm XDM are my current pistols.

thanks guys

Mlutz

We had this discussion a while ago. Even with a IWB holster, if the grip is visible, your good. I've carried my Walther p1 a bit, and the holster for it covers like 99.9% of the gun. Never had any problems with that either.

hardballer

I make IWB in several styles for several sidearms. They can be seen here: http://buffaloholstercompany.blogspot.com/

Each holster is handmade out of 7-10oz. leather and Heavy kydex. I build each one as if I were building it for myself.
They are guaranteed for life (materials and workmanship). I source the best materials and fasteners I can get my hands.

As for carry, I have used one for carry for many years in AZ. I used one here when I first started to carry. I also use a belt holster that features retention. I have no preference.

Hardballer out!

LR Yote 312

I make IWB in several styles for several sidearms. They can be seen here: http://buffaloholstercompany.blogspot.com/

Each holster is handmade out of 7-10oz. leather and Heavy kydex. I build each one as if I were building it for myself.
They are guaranteed for life (materials and workmanship). I source the best materials and fasteners I can get my hands.

As for carry, I have used one for carry for many years in AZ. I used one here when I first started to carry. I also use a belt holster that features retention. I have no preference.

Hardballer out!

PM Comin at ya...

LR Yote

comp45acp

Iwb

For me, the Milt Sparks Versa Max 2 is the best one out there. It is very comfortable and conceals extremely well. They have a small shop with only a few employees. It will take about 7 months to get your holster but it is well worth the wait. http://www.miltsparks.com/

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
I bought a Comp-Tac MTAC IWB holster for my Sig 239. I've recently purchased a Galco Fletch OWB holster to use instead, for the following reasons:

I like the MTAC, but wearing an IWB holster requires rather loose-fitting trousers to accommodate the bulk of the holstered pistol inside the waistband. In addition, the MTAC is a Level-1 holster that depends on the tension of the holster and the belt to make it difficult for someone else to draw your firearm.

The Fletch is a Level-2 holster, with a retention strap that makes it very difficult for someone else to draw your firearm. It also feels more comfortable to carry the Sig in the OWB holster and I can wear my normal-size trousers.

I like both holsters and wear them at different times for different reasons.

Both the MTAC and the Fletch are considered open carry holsters here in Virginia because a significant part of the firearm is "commonly observable."

CalicoJack10

Hardballer out!

Can you tool out logos on teh leather? I like the small pancake design with the retention, but I would like a Calico Jack on it. lol

Griffin1340

IWB Holsters are considered to conceal the sidearm.

I have 3 that I use when I carry outside Wisconsin or while I am doing something here that requires it.

Crossbreed Super Tuck Deluxe:

It is an OK holster, I have had it for about 2 months and is is still not broken in. Even though I have a lot of time invested in trying to get it to conform. It also took longer than expected to get here, but I was not complaining when I saw the craftsmanship. It is easy to draw from, and very easy to re-holster. All in all, I give it a fairly good opinion.

I have to agree with CalicoJack. I got my Crossbreed a few weeks back. I'm impressed with the quality but it does take a heap of breaking in, now if my jeans just had that extra inch I need in 'em!
But overall it is a good IWB rig.
Now we just need to get the right to CC.