• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

'Racist' gun rights laws...per Chicago's top cop

Dave Workman

Chicago’s top cop plays race card in gun rights debate; NW activists react

Northwest gun rights activists, including Alan Gottlieb, founder of the Bellevue-based Second Amendment Foundation, are outraged over remarks made by Chicago Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy that suggested federal gun laws that do not prohibit firearms ownership amount to “government sponsored racism.”

http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-...ace-card-gun-rights-debate-nw-activists-react

Jeff Hayes

I was in Joliet Ill 2 weeks ago for my wife's class reunion. 2 blocks or so away was a White Castle, one of my wifes classmates was going thru the drive thru about 10 PM Friday noght when they were caught in the cross fire between rival gangs multiple bullet holes in the car and 1 shot out tire. Racisim had nothing to do with it, wrong place at the wrong time and defenseless to boot.

There is no way in hell I would live east of the Mississippi, we are lucky here, luckier than we even know.

New Daddy

I grew up in Illinois and it's really two separate states - south of I-80 given the choice would have gun laws similar to most of the western states. Unfortunately, Chicago has control of most processes. The IL house recently passed concealed carry by a majority, but because of legislative rules needed a super-majority. However, the IL governor is "happy" that they're the last state without any concealed carry.

El Comanche

Gun Control is what is racist.

The truth is quite the opposite of Garry McCarthy's remarks, as the root of all anti-gun laws in our country have been racist. There were no gun laws until blacks were freed after the civil war. Our first gun laws forbid "Negroes" as they put it, from owning firearms. Then came laws aimed at Natives and legal Mexican and Chinese immigrants. Later, in the 20th century, the government was not able to be so blatant, so they aimed at economic status, with laws like the "Saturday Night Special", which focused on the most affordable handguns, which of course, kept them out of the hands of many minorities.

Us gun owners are very aware that areas with the strictest gun control have the highest crime rates. But there is also a parallel that these areas also have the most minorities. Ironically, many of these minorities are in favor of gun control. Frankly, I'm surprised African Americans do not lead the gun rights movement like the Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership, with our history of civil rights. Myself being born here and having Native American and Mexican descent, cannot imagine not giving up the rights that were taken away from my great grandparents.

I believe we must unite as Americans, regardless of race, and perhaps even more so for minorities, to embrace this absolutely essential freedom. No one should trust their government to be the only ones to bear arms. That's just plain crazy- E

Last edited: