• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

the .950 JDJ - 2,400gr Bullet

Tawnos

I love that the second iteration is twice the weight, because the first one is too light... at 50 pounds!

Dreamer

I was under the impression that any rifle having a bore exceeding .50" qualifies as a "Destructive Device" and is a Class III weapon, making it mandatory to have a BATFE Class III application and $200 tax stamp approved to transfer.

Knight Rifles may be building these, but I doubt they will be available to the public at any affordable level. Look for a 5-digit price tag on these, and to add insult to injury, that annoying $200 tax stamp, AND the requirement to report to the BATFE and the top LEO of your county any time you want to transport it off your own property...

09jisaac

They're exempt. Since they don't do anything, at all, spectacular (can't shoot down an airplane, can't be a long range sniper, can't penetrate armored vehicle, can't even target practice with it) the BATF says that they're "sporting rifles".

I didn't search for a cite, but its somewhere. I just looked at wikipedia and it supported what I said, but I read it somewhere else when I stumbled on this gun a while back.

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
2,400 gr bullet, 240 gr powder, 2,100 fps. 25,400 foot-lbs of muzzle energy

It's like firing 10 30-06's at the same time.

Video.

How about adding a 50lb weight to help absorb he recoil?

My thought: VERY BAD DESIGN.

Here's my thought of a good design:

GAU-8/A Avenger is a 30 mm hydraulically-driven seven-barrel Gatling-type rotary cannon that is mounted on the United States Air Force's Fairchild Republic A-10 Thunderbolt II. It is among the largest, heaviest and most powerful aircraft cannons in the United States military.

Muzzle velocity 3,500 ft/s (1,070 m/s)
Projectile weight: 360 grams or 5,556.25 grains

Will someone please dust off their college physics and tell my why the .950 can sustain a rate of fire of approximately 1 round per minute while the A-10 can sustain a rate of fire involving 4,200 rounds per minute using a round with approximately 3 to 8 times the energy.

If I REALLY want to experience foot-lbs of energy, I'll simply walk across a freeway until I'm struck by a car.

Get real, people. One-ups-man-ship does NOT solve the problems we are facing these days.

Get real.

mark-in-texas

"Will someone please dust off their college physics and tell my why the .950 can sustain a rate of fire of approximately 1 round per minute while the A-10 can sustain a rate of fire involving 4,200 rounds per minute using a round with approximately 3 to 8 times the energy."

For starters, the Warthog that it's attached to weighs something like 30,000lbs and is traveling 3-400mph at the time of firing. Electrically driven 7 barrels means each barrel only sees 1/7th the actual fire rate, electrically fired cartridges mean now mechanical firing delay. Forward airspeed rams large amount of cooling air to barrels. End result---don't get a Warthog driver mad at you!

georg jetson

"Will someone please dust off their college physics and tell my why the .950 can sustain a rate of fire of approximately 1 round per minute while the A-10 can sustain a rate of fire involving 4,200 rounds per minute using a round with approximately 3 to 8 times the energy."

For starters, the Warthog that it's attached to weighs something like 30,000lbs and is traveling 3-400mph at the time of firing. Electrically driven 7 barrels means each barrel only sees 1/7th the actual fire rate, electrically fired cartridges mean now mechanical firing delay. Forward airspeed rams large amount of cooling air to barrels. End result---don't get a Warthog driver mad at you!

Yes Yes... I do seem to remember this... It was the exact problem I had on my first year physics midterm. And the answer was definitely not to get a Warthog driver(pilot?) mad at you.

Uber_Olafsun

Plus the A-10 has to keep speed up or it starts to slow down. That thing should be on a vehicle mount for safety. Think about how many messed up shoulders there are after firing that beast.

Daylen

This cartridge is not so interesting after seeing it is necked up. If on the other hand it was a 20x102mm that was necked down to accept a 50 caliber bullet, that would be interesting. The rifle could be as scary as one desires and ATF would have to suck wind. Plus it would be more useful as it would have a smaller cross section thereby better aerodynamics.

09jisaac

This cartridge is not so interesting after seeing it is necked up. If on the other hand it was a 20x102mm that was necked down to accept a 50 caliber bullet, that would be interesting. The rifle could be as scary as one desires and ATF would have to suck wind. Plus it would be more useful as it would have a smaller cross section thereby better aerodynamics.

This particular round doesn't excel in anything. You can't use it for a long range round, it isn't particularly accurate, it isn't cheap, it doesn't have any more kinetic than a 20mm, it doesn't penetrate very good. All it does is kick like a mule.

Also, the 50bmg can be regulated by the ATF if they want to push it. Only the barrel is .50 (measured from land the land) the projectile is a bit more.

Daylen

This particular round doesn't excel in anything. You can't use it for a long range round, it isn't particularly accurate, it isn't cheap, it doesn't have any more kinetic than a 20mm, it doesn't penetrate very good. All it does is kick like a mule.

Also, the 50bmg can be regulated by the ATF if they want to push it. Only the barrel is .50 (measured from land the land) the projectile is a bit more.

No it can't be, the barrel is what is measured, not the cartridge. Try reading the law and regulations again.

09jisaac

Yep, but you do realize that the bullet is over .5 inch to make a complete gas seal in the grooves don't you? The ATF says they measure the bore of the gun but don't say where at. The lans of a .50 bmg is close to .50, so the grooves would have to be a bit more than .5.

Daylen

Yep, but you do realize that the bullet is over .5 inch to make a complete gas seal in the grooves don't you? The ATF says they measure the bore of the gun but don't say where at. The lans of a .50 bmg is close to .50, so the grooves would have to be a bit more than .5.

Yes, I do realize the caliber of the bullet is .510 caliber nominally. This is not so uncommon for bullets to be larger than the bore they will be propelled through. Traditionally the bore is measured from the lands, as that is what the barrel was bored out to when making it; it is the only consistent surface from one rifling scheme to another. Plus, it is obvious that it is beyond their power as a semi-auto M2 is simply a firearm, not an NFA weapon.