• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OCed for a quick trip to Ashland KY from MI

Hevymetal

Had to make a quick trip down to Ashland KY with the wife to pick up my father-in-law for a funeral Monday. Started from Michigan.

I OC all the way there and back. Kept looking for the "signs of death" in Ohio but never saw any. Just a couple of comments in Ohio. One comment while filling up at a gas station in Bowling Green "Nice piece" from the station owner and "Check it out, that dude's gotta gun, sweet" at Tim Horton's.

At the IHOP in KY there were 5 of us eating, we were there for over two hours and the manager had been talking to our table for at least 15 minutes about every subject you could imagine. I used the restroom then while returning to our table Random Employee A came over to me and said "We don't like people who open carry guns here" My response was "I don''t like being accosted by criminals either, are you asking me to leave?" her response was "No" then she disappeared back into the kitchen never to be seen again. When I returned to the table the manager was still there talking to the family. I know darn well she saw my firearm but never said a word about it.

Seems as though there are always WAY fewer looks and comments while down in KY. Must be somewhat more normal there then up here in MI. I have spent quite a bit of time in Pikeville too over the last year (More In-laws) and have NEVER had any real issues while carrying in your state.

In fact I purchased 2 handguns at the wife's cousin's gun store while down there 2 weeks ago. A Sig 229 Scorpion TB for myself and a SW 637CT, which is getting Diamondkoted in Pink for the wife as an anniversary present (Yeah I know skip the Pink gun joke's). To see a display case full of silencers in the store was just amazing.

I enjoy visiting KY very much and look forward to getting down there whenever possible.

Hevy

Hevymetal

I am glad you had a pleasant visit to Kentucky. We have some great gun laws (still too many though).

Also, Bowling Green, OH, Bowling Green, KY may cause some confusion.

heh, Bowling Green OH didn't even realize there was a Bowling Green KY

Yes, you do have some great gun laws, the one we need to adopt here in MI is "a visibly displayed weapon in a vehicle is NOT concealed" :) Here, the minute you enter a vehicle with a weapon it is considered concealed, even if it's laying on the dashboard in plain sight.

Also to my surprise mechanical knives are legal in KY too. In MI you have to be a cop, firefighter or a one armed man to legally carry a mechanically assisted knife.

09jisaac

heh, Bowling Green OH didn't even realize there was a Bowling Green KY

Yes, you do have some great gun laws, the one we need to adopt here in MI is "a visibly displayed weapon in a vehicle is NOT concealed" :) Here, the minute you enter a vehicle with a weapon it is considered concealed, even if it's laying on the dashboard in plain sight.

Also to my surprise mechanical knives are legal in KY too. In MI you have to be a cop, firefighter or a one armed man to legally carry a mechanically assisted knife.

Seriously? That is a bit odd. In Kentucky we can carry about anything if it isn't concealed. With a CCDW we can carry almost anything. I have been told, but I have not found any legal proof, that some weapons are always considered concealed. Things like brass knuckles and spring opened knifes (as opposed to assisted knifes).

Ohio is the same with the concealed in a vehicle. Our laws even define storage compartments as not being concealed. I particularly enjoy this as most places I wish to store a firearm is an OEM installed compartment. Do you have to unload your weapon and all magazines that can be used in that weapon or can you just not have a firearm in the passenger compartment?

I did not expect you to know much about Kentucky cities as I know little about MI cities.

Hevymetal

This is a strange thing to post without explanation. Are you a licensed dealer or did you transfer them through an Ohio dealer?

I purchased them down in KY (they had them in stock, unlike everywhere up here), then they were shipped to MI to a FFL dealer I do work for up here, he fills out the registration forms (No purchase permit required cause I have a CPL (Concealed Pistol License)) then I take possession from him and drop off the registrations forms off at the local sherrif's department.

As far as vehicles go, yeah it's weird, unless you have a CPL, you must unload and secure your pistol (locked case) out of reach of the driver BEFORE entering your vehicle (trunk if you have one). If you have a CPL then you are good to go and you can just hop in with it on your hip..

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Registration forms? Purchase permit? What is this nonsense? You have to register handguns in MI? You have to get a permit to purchase a handgun? That is infringement at it's worst. And yes, you can carry any deadly weapon in Ky as long as it is not concealed. I love this state, glad you enjoyed yourself! Ky truly is the land of the free! Well, when it comes to gun rights anyways.