• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Almost had to pull the trigger tonight...

Esanders2008

So I almost had to pull the trigger tonight. I was out walking with the Mrs and my little Jack Russell. We had walked about 3 miles and we were starting the last leg back to our house. I live in a highly populated area in Hampton Roads (VA). As we turned the corner and started walking down the next street, I heard barking behind me. No big deal, I thought, because there are plenty of dogs in the neighborhood and they always bark at my puppy (who oddly enough never barks back, or at all). I turned around just to make sure though. At this point I should probably mention I had a run-in with a quite vicious Pit back in July (before I started carrying). This run in cost me a trip to the hospital. Ever since I have been pretty scared of large dogs. So I turned around and saw this dog running at me, barking. I got really scared and, with practiced speed, drew my Glock 19 and aimed it at the advancing dog. My wife saw fit to tell me to stop. (Apparently she didn't think the dog was scary. I maintain that *she* wasn't the one sent to a hospital with puncture wounds to the forearm from a dog bite). With my pistol still pointed at the dog, I gave a stay command to it, to see if he would halt his advance. It actually worked, and the dog sat in the middle of the street. I reholstered, figuring the threat was over, and gave the dog a stay command. He stayed, and I backed away slowly until my wife and I were able to turn down the next street. I was so stressed out over the whole situation I actually had to sit curb-side for several moments to calm my heart down. I figure the most important thing was that everyone, including both dogs, made it out of the situation safely.
I welcome your questions, comments, and concerns regarding this incident.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
...I welcome your questions, comments, and concerns regarding this incident.
My suggestion is that you should have called the police. I suggest this any time one apparently threatens or actually draws their gun.

I would rather be the first person to call the police than the one explaining/justifying my actions after someone else has reported some other version of events.

mwaterous

At the same time as you said "stay" you didn't happen to notice your pup make any kind of movement of his own? Say... a quick nod, or using his paw to make a cutting motion across the jugular region? Have you considered your dog doesn't have to bark because your dog is sometimes referred to as The Dogfather?

Esanders2008

At the same time as you said "stay" you didn't happen to notice your pup make any kind of movement of his own? Say... a quick nod, or using his paw to make a cutting motion across the jugular region? Have you considered your dog doesn't have to bark because your dog is sometimes referred to as The Dogfather?

Haha.. My pup was walking on his leash held by his "mother" ahead of us. But that is a funny thought. :p

Esanders2008

My suggestion is that you should have called the police. I suggest this any time one apparently threatens or actually draws their gun.

I would rather be the first person to call the police than the one explaining/justifying my actions after someone else has reported some other version of events.

My issue with this is that we were out late at night (not illegal or even frowned upon, but we were alone), and there were no other people around. We disappeared from the scene afterwards, because there was no one who would have called the police. (Unless that dog had a cell phone) By calling the police, I would have to break my rule of "Never talk to the police (unless you HAVE to)".

Jay Jacobs

I've chased away a vicious growling dog by simply spreading my arms to appear larger and becoming the aggressor.

Personally, the dog in question would have to be either chasing down a small child or have already drawn blood before I'd feel confident in shooting it.

1) I don't care to get sued or arrested

2) An armed citizen shooting someone's "puppy" sure looks bad on the evening news

Last edited:

Esanders2008

I've chased away a vicious growling dog by simply spreading my arms to appear larger and becoming the aggressor.

Personally, the dog in question would have to be either chasing down a small child or have already drawn blood before I'd feel confident in shooting it.

Would you feel the same way about a person? Would he have already had to knock a couple of your teeth out, or would showing a disposition of violence, such as brandishing a knife, be sufficient for you to pull the trigger?

Esanders2008

1) I don't care to get sued or arrested

2) An armed citizen shooting someone's "puppy" sure looks bad on the evening news

In response to your edit:
Let me use the Pit attack as my example. Both the animal control officer and the VBPD officer that responded said that I would have been justified in shooting the dog to protect myself.
And we already know most media is Anti-2A anyways, and will warp the facts to sell their stories.

Phoenix David

...snip.. My wife saw fit to tell me to stop.

Not to sound harsh but I don't know of another way to put it but your wife needs to get on-board with the program. Family members need to learn that when the carrier make a decision to go to gun it's time for them to ****, it's not a time for them it give their feelings about the situation.

The last thing someone needs is the significant other (SO) adding a distraction "Don't shoot him baby!" which can cause your thinking to reset for a second (ODDA loop) or can give something away that you didn't want to "Pull out your gun and shoot him baby"

OC and CC needs to have an immediate action plan, simpler the better, "Honey if I draw my gun, you get behind me and call 911 on your cell phone"

Esanders2008

not to sound harsh but i don't know of another way to put it but your wife needs to get on-board with the program. Family members need to learn that when the carrier make a decision to go to gun it's time for them to ****, it's not a time for them it give their feelings about the situation.

The last thing someone needs is the significant other (so) adding a distraction "don't shoot him baby!" which can cause your thinking to reset for a second (odda loop) or can give something away that you didn't want to "pull out your gun and shoot him baby"

oc and cc needs to have an immediate action plan, simpler the better, "honey if i draw my gun, you get behind me and call 911 on your cell phone"

+1 :)

Last edited:

Mark 1911

I had a similar experience when I was only 17 or 18. Me and a buddy were walking some old tracks that cut through his dad's farm with our .22 rifles. We saw a hound dog coming down the tracks from quite a ways off, from a distance didn't look like anything unusual. But when it got close it wasn't pretty, it was emaciated, foaming at the mouth, growling and baring his teeth - really looked like a very sick dog, maybe rabid but don't know for sure. Was hoping he would go away but instead it charged toward us in a very agressive manor, he was going to bite one of us for sure. That was the only dog I've ever shot. One shot between the eyes, instant kill. We called the sheriff's office and reported it, even told them we thought it was rabid, but they didn't seem too interested. I know I did the right thing, but it still makes me sick to think about it, almost 40 years later.

Last edited:

Merlin

You certainly would have been justified, and it sounds like you handled yourself well, better than most.

This example does make the case for carrying something LessThanLethal as an alternative. When I was a kid, I carried a bottle of soapy water. It is surprisingly effective. Today, I would carry the fogging pepper spray on my weak side, and still have my gun drawn strong side. But who am I kidding. I don't walk anywhere. :)

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Esanders2008

You certainly would have been justified, and it sounds like you handled yourself well, better than most.

This example does make the case for carrying something LessThanLethal as an alternative. When I was a kid, I carried a bottle of soapy water. It is surprisingly effective. Today, I would carry the fogging pepper spray on my weak side, and still have my gun drawn strong side. But who am I kidding. I don't walk anywhere. :)

I have been pepper sprayed before, and I can honestly say it was the most painful experience of my life. I don't like risking that a strong wind will blow it back in my face. Strong wind CAN cause a bullet to go a little left or right, but never back into my face. :p

Last edited:

Merlin

I have been pepper sprayed before, and I can honestly say it was the most painful experience of my life. I don't like risking that a strong wind will blow it back in my face. Strong wind CAN cause a bullet to go a little left or right, but never back into my face. :p

True true, and certainly a consideration. Another thing I forgot to mention, since dogs have X,000 times more sensitive noses than us, can you imagine how it affects them? I mean, if it is possible to drive an animal to the brink of suicide, that has got to be it.

Jay Jacobs

In response to your edit:
Let me use the Pit attack as my example. Both the animal control officer and the VBPD officer that responded said that I would have been justified in shooting the dog to protect myself.
And we already know most media is Anti-2A anyways, and will warp the facts to sell their stories.
Point taken and I don't necessarily disagree. I was just saying what I'd do.