• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Iwb oc?

brotherashe

My CCH card has not arrived yet. Couple weeks till. I've been carrying in my IWB at my office (they don't care), to get a feel for it. I was thinking, if I go out to lunch, I could just tuck my shirt in, and OC IWB. But something tells me State reqs are that the entire firearm, holster must be visible?

KTCerberus

I would go OWB to be safe due to municipal law being a bit wonky. IIRC there is no language specifying how it must be carried or how much must be visible (at the state level) but if you end up in a city like Wichita, they require it to be outside the pants on the hip. You could probably beat any rap in court but its likely not worth it.

SixGunCowboy

CC or OC

The problem is, you can't simply just stick a gun half-way inside your waistband and let the handle of the gun stick out. That's called CC. (Conceal carry which without a permit, is illegal) if you're going to carry, then I would suggest to either fully make your gun invisible so it can't be seen or make it fully visible (Open Carry). If you have your gun sticking half-way out and somebody sees it, chances are you're going to find yourself in a heap of trouble, especially if it's a Police officer.

LeviR

The problem is, you can't simply just stick a gun half-way inside your waistband and let the handle of the gun stick out. That's called CC. (Conceal carry which without a permit, is illegal)

Can you back this up with a citation of the definition of concealed carry in Kansas law?

SixGunCowboy

I don't need to. The Police informed me about it when I was carrying in my blue winter coat several weeks ago.. I had my gun in my front left pocket with the handle sticking out while the holster, slide and most of the front of the gun were hidden in the pocket. They told me I was pushing the bounds of conceal carry. And told me if I'm to open carry, the gun/holster has to be entirely visible, not half way.

LeviR

I don't need to. The Police informed me about it when I was carrying in my blue winter coat several weeks ago.. I had my gun in my front left pocket with the handle sticking out while the holster, slide and most of the front of the gun were hidden in the pocket. They told me I was pushing the bounds of conceal carry. And told me if I'm to open carry, the gun/holster has to be entirely visible, not half way.

So we're just supposed to just take your word for it? No... you need to cite a definition... something.

KTCerberus

Dude, stop being a ******. He has a point.

If you have a CC permit, in Kansas nearly any manner of carry is possible. BUT...

If you have it fully concealed, no one will bother you. If you open carry, likely no one will bother you. (As long as you do so in a professional manner, and don't act or dress like a loser).

If however you stick a gun in your pocket, or inside the waist band with the grip visible you will probably get crap from everybody. Fellow carriers are going to assume your shirt came untucked, or you are not aware your weapon is visible. Regular folk aren't going to know what to think because it looks like you are kind of trying to hide it. Cops are probably going to assume either one of the two and that means potential for an abrasive encounter.

Its best to either fully conceal, or make your intention to OC obvious.

SPOProds

Can you back this up with a citation of the definition of concealed carry in Kansas law?

This.

Rule #1 Never take legal advice from a cop.

Sent from the back of a black van

LeviR

Dude, stop being a ******. He has a point.

If you have a CC permit, in Kansas nearly any manner of carry is possible. BUT...

If you have it fully concealed, no one will bother you. If you open carry, likely no one will bother you. (As long as you do so in a professional manner, and don't act or dress like a loser).

If however you stick a gun in your pocket, or inside the waist band with the grip visible you will probably get crap from everybody. Fellow carriers are going to assume your shirt came untucked, or you are not aware your weapon is visible. Regular folk aren't going to know what to think because it looks like you are kind of trying to hide it. Cops are probably going to assume either one of the two and that means potential for an abrasive encounter.

Its best to either fully conceal, or make your intention to OC obvious.

I agree that it is *best* to have the firearm in an OWB holster. However, he didn't claim that it was *best* to do so... he claimed it was illegal and failed to cite a law. He then claimed he didn't have to cite a law because a cop told him. Not acceptable.

brotherashe

I completely thought I opened this thread. Thanks a ton for the info. I have just decided to OC outside of my place of business until my card arrives my only question is, in Wichita, what should I do when I gen in my car? Keep the pistol holstered near the seatbuckle, glove compartment, etc... :confused:

marine0300

Wichita bans OC in a vehicle so separate the ammo and firearm while in your car or truck.

Your firearm has to be encased you can use a sandwich bag if you so choose.

Last edited:

SixGunCowboy

I agree that it is *best* to have the firearm in an OWB holster. However, he didn't claim that it was *best* to do so... he claimed it was illegal and failed to cite a law. He then claimed he didn't have to cite a law because a cop told him. Not acceptable.

Dude, you frost me.. You really do.. I believe my exact words were and I quote "Conceal carry without a permit is illegal." Those were my exact words. I don't need a cite a law for that one, because WE already know this to be TRUE. If you're that stupid, you don't need to be carrying a gun at all. I didn't know I was supposed to recommend that OWB was best.. In your case, I would tell you, DON'T CARRY. YOUR STUPIDITY IS STAGGERING. What the cop told me was absolutely correct. He was doing his job and knew the law, which I am surprised and dismayed that you DON'T. That may not be acceptable to you and if you want to get yourself arrested for being stupid, you're going to make us all look bad. But, stop putting words in my mouth. What I said was the truth.

SPOProds

He didn't ask for a cite that CCW was required for CC.

He asked for a cite regarding that a pistol that has the handle sticking out of the waist band is CC.

Your exact quote below
The problem is, you can't simply just stick a gun half-way inside your waistband and let the handle of the gun stick out. That's called CC. (Conceal carry which without a permit, is illegal) if you're going to carry, then I would suggest to either fully make your gun invisible so it can't be seen or make it fully visible (Open Carry). If you have your gun sticking half-way out and somebody sees it, chances are you're going to find yourself in a heap of trouble, especially if it's a Police officer.

Now, can you please cite where having a pistol sticking out of your waistband is CC? Ie why Virginia Carry is illegal?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Dude, you frost me.. You really do.. I believe my exact words were and I quote "Conceal carry without a permit is illegal." Those were my exact words. I don't need a cite a law for that one, because WE already know this to be TRUE. If you're that stupid, you don't need to be carrying a gun at all. I didn't know I was supposed to recommend that OWB was best.. In your case, I would tell you, DON'T CARRY. YOUR STUPIDITY IS STAGGERING. What the cop told me was absolutely correct. He was doing his job and knew the law, which I am surprised and dismayed that you DON'T. That may not be acceptable to you and if you want to get yourself arrested for being stupid, you're going to make us all look bad. But, stop putting words in my mouth. What I said was the truth.

He didn't ask for a cite that CCW was required for CC.

He asked for a cite regarding that a pistol that has the handle sticking out of the waist band is CC.

Your exact quote below

Now, can you please cite where having a pistol sticking out of your waistband is CC? Ie why Virginia Carry is illegal?

In either event, Forum Rules request cites:
(5) CITE TO AUTHORITY: If you state a rule of law, it is incumbent upon you to try to cite, as best you can, to authority. Citing to authority, using links when available,is what makes OCDO so successful. An authority is a published source of law that can back your claim up - statute, ordinance, court case, newspaper article covering a legal issue, etc.

Also please refrain from personal insults:
(6) NO PERSONAL ATTACKS: While you may disagree strongly with another poster based upon their opinion, we will NOT tolerate any personal attacks............

LeviR

This has really been handled already. I don't appreciate the name calling, though.