• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Emily Miller - newest member on OCDO

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
Well, I can speak from personal experience, being from Chicago. I once moved into a neighborhood where I discovered that crime was rampant ~ what did I do? I moved the heck out of that crappy neighborhood into a different area. Even if I had the right to carry, I still would have moved.

So, I'm wondering why she did not move to VA .. a 10 min train ride to all those cultural advantages? If she was concerned for her personal safety, that is. I choose to move and was wondering why she did not.

I appreciate your response but it is, after all, your response.

Yep, it was my response, and heartfelt.

The difference in your two situations is that she's not fighting crime, she's fighting the political structure that denies her the right of self-defense outside her home. She has chosen to fight that political structure as a citizen within their jurisdiction, and for that I have the utmost respect.

I also give her props for being brave enough to stay and help right a wrong. Something you could have done ... but didn't.

Last edited:

TFred

http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/guns/2011/oct/14/miller-steps-gun-ownership-dc/

Above article for what she had to do to get her gun.

[...]

And she has $$$$ ... she can live where ever she chooses.

So why has Emily not moved out of DC ? It surely is a cesspool. Its like saying "I love Detroit!"
You post this as if the majority of us here have not already been following along from the very beginning.

While she is certainly an up-and-coming media personality, all that is very recent. I assure you, reporters that have not yet won Pulitzer prizes don't have the means to live wherever they want. I know a couple local newspaper reporters, and they live in small houses and take on roommates, just to afford the rent. Have you not seen the financial problems of the print news industry lately?

If you had been following along with the rest of us, you would know that she has written about her decision to stay in DC, and she chooses to not run away from the problem, but to stay and fix it. She has much more determination than I do, and than many of us here who would just give up and leave. That takes a special kind of hero.

DC is nothing like Detroit. Detroit is a relative waste-land devoid of culture and character, at least the kind of character that you would want to be around. DC has local government problems, yes, but it is one of the culture centers of the country, and is certainly the political center. It's the place of power. Many good people live there for those reasons and Emily Miller is to be commended for staying and fighting to make DC a better place for them to live.

TFred

Last edited:

JamesCanby

Activist Member
You post this as if the majority of us here have not already been following along from the very beginning.

While she is certainly an up-and-coming media personality, all that is very recent. I assure you, reporters that have not yet won Pulitzer prizes don't have the means to live wherever they want. I know a couple local newspaper reporters, and they live in small houses and take on roommates, just to afford the rent. Have you not seen the financial problems of the print news industry lately?

If you had been following along with the rest of us, you would know that she has written about her decision to stay in DC, and she chooses to not run away from the problem, but to stay and fix it. She has much more determination than I do, and than many of us here who would just give up and leave. That takes a special kind of hero.

DC is nothing like Detroit. Detroit is a relative waste-land devoid of culture and character, at least the kind of character that you would want to be around. DC has local government problems, yes, but it is one of the culture centers of the country, and is certainly the political center. It's the place of power. Many good people live there for those reasons and Emily Miller is to be commended for staying and fighting to make DC a better place for them to live.

TFred

Thanks, TFred ... I wish I had said that as well as you did.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
Welcome Emily! Thank you for sharing your experiences working through the challenges of obtaining a firearm in the Capitol. Hope you can find us as useful to you as we've found you!

Cisco

Welcome

I would like to welcome Emily as well. Her articles on the difficulties on getting her permit was riveting to me. I am glad to see her here, and look forward to her posts!

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Meeting Emily Miller

I visited Sharpshooters yesterday specifically to obtain a copy of Emily Gets Her Gun and to meet Ms. Miller. I found her to be a highly knowledgeable person who is dedicated to our 2nd Amendment rights and who is passionate about working toward perfecting those rights. She was most gracious in signing my copy of the book.

I have read about half of it so far. It's an easy read and holds my interest. I especially like how she alternates chapters between the current gun rights struggle with her experiences in the byzantine world of gun registration in the District of Columbia. She details how difficult DC is making the effort, and also writes about her firearms education in the process. The alternating chapters address the current strategems, ploys and deceptive tactics and wording of the anti-gun community, backing up her in-text references with copious end-notes and links to source material.

One of the things that struck me so far is that but for the willingness of good friends and mentors who were knowledgeable about firearms and who were willing to give up their time to help her, this story might never have been told. That fact alone reinforces the responsibility that WE all have to help educate and train people in the proper, safe and legal aspects of firearm possession, carry and use.

I again welcomed her onto OCDO and look forward to her postings.

JamesCanby

Activist Member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzN3yJXlWrg

hmmmm ... start vid after about 1 min ....

Since writing the article series and publishing her book, she has been incredibly busy doing interviews and commentaries on major news media outlets and speaking at events such as VCDL gatherings. She is actively out there helping to educate the community about the byzantine process in getting a gun registered in DC and exposing the hypocrisy and lies of the anti-gun community....

... unlike some who merely snipe from their computers and who post mostly inane comments and irrelevant video clips...

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Welcome aboard, Emily! I've greatly enjoyed your articles, and welcome your participation and charm.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Bravo Emily and thank you.

You went into the [strike]lion's[/strike] jackal's den and gave better than you got. In fact I would say you emerged victorious with your hair in place and a smile on your face.

It is not about changing Piers. It is about educating the American people.