• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ohio State University Open Carry/Firearm Education Walk

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
https://www.facebook.com/events/375006232642421

This walk will take place ON CAMPUS and around part of the perimeter of The Ohio State University (OSU) in Columbus, Ohio, this Saturday, April 19th. ** Armed student participation is a GO !! ** This walk builds on the success of the University of Cincinnati ON & off campus walk last Saturday.

The walk starts at 3:00 PM at the intersection of N. High Street and E. 15th.

The enormous legislated Criminal Empowerment Zone known as OSU is familiar to students, parents, alumni, and many other Ohioans.

You may be aware that the University’s previous president, Gordon Gee, was infamous for his insistence that OSU would flout Ohio law and sanction students for violations of the Code of Student Conduct, even though part(s) of it are in violation of Ohio law. This will not stand.

Long guns are welcome (!!) *with proper muzzle control*, pistols too, and literature is encouraged (with/without your group's name). I'll have some literature for those who may wish to give something to those they talk with.

** Recognizing that this is a educational, interactive, *public relations* walk, please leave “Don’t Tread on Me!”, “From My Cold Dead Hands”, etc. flags/clothing, camo, and grungy clothes at home. **

Participants are invited to first attend a Patriot’s Day event also held on Saturday by my friends Chuck LaRosa, Carolyn Robey, and Dave Noice: https://www.facebook.com/events/218773094976296

Food: Burgers or subs are available at various restaurants. I will notify participants of the specific restaurants at the rally point.

Parking: (I'll be here at ~2:30)
Thompson Community Recreation Center
1189 Dennison Ave, Columbus, OH 43201 (main parking)

overflow parking:
Tuttle Park and Recreation Center
240 W Oakland Ave, Columbus, OH 43201
rally at N. High & E 15th with students and main parkers

** On campus routing is still in progress **

Children are welcome and encouraged.

Please sign up on Facebook, or let me know here if you're coming. I'm trying to match up the number of people with an appropriate lunch location.

P.S. – University of Cincinnati walk, April 12, 2014: https://www.facebook.com/events/269922139835838

Last edited:

Brian D.

Theeeeee Ohio State University is the college I was most looking forward to having one of these shindigs in. Dang it I wish work didn't intrude.

I took part in the one held at the University of Cincinnati last Saturday, it was done very effectively. Folks, if you're ever going to push the chair away from the keyboard and take action, BB62 is who you want leading the team!

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Theeeeee Ohio State University is the college I was most looking forward to having one of these shindigs in. Dang it I wish work didn't intrude...
I'm really sorry you aren't able to make it. Thanks for everything last weekend.

...I took part in the one held at the University of Cincinnati last Saturday, it was done very effectively. Folks, if you're ever going to push the chair away from the keyboard and take action, BB62 is who you want leading the team!
I wish OCDO had a blushing smiley!

Thanks much, Brian.

<salutes>

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
** OPENLY ARMED OSU STUDENTS *will not be* subject to sanctions under the OSU Code of Student Conduct!

"Based on your representations about this event and the individuals who will be participating in it, we will not take action against students under our Code of Student Conduct solely for legal possession of a weapon while participating in this walk." - Melissa Mayhan, Assistant General Counsel, Office of Legal Affairs

Now the question is, are the Buckeyes going to have more armed students, or do the Bearcats (13) keep the crown?

Be there. Aloha!

Last edited:

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
History was made for the second time today at OSU's main campus, the largest public university campus in Ohio.

Before we even got to the main campus, a number of people asked questions, and once on campus, at the Oval, curious onlookers accepted literature and asked even more questions.

One participant even said that he had twenty times the number of conversations with people that he had had at the University of Cincinnati!

We spoke with a number of students who recognized the problem with laws which allow open carry on college campuses by non-students, but restrict those who have a concealed handgun license from carrying on campus entirely.

Fortunately or unfortunately, OSU chose not to inform students of the walk ahead of time, resulting in many curious, but not scared, looks. In most of those instances, literature was offered and worthwhile conversation ensued.

Next stop, who knows? One thing is for sure: the open carry education walks will resume in the fall.

Last edited:

rightwinglibertarian

** OPENLY ARMED OSU STUDENTS *will not be* subject to sanctions under the OSU Code of Student Conduct!

"Based on your representations about this event and the individuals who will be participating in it, we will not take action against students under our Code of Student Conduct solely for legal possession of a weapon while participating in this walk." - Melissa Mayhan, Assistant General Counsel, Office of Legal Affairs

Now the question is, are the Buckeyes going to have more armed students, or do the Bearcats (13) keep the crown?

Be there. Aloha!

I want to get my facts 100% correct here as One of my friends who goes there was discussing this earlier today and i'd rather not tell him something incorrect and have him arrested. Not only is Open Carry a violation of OSU regulations, I believe it's also against state law as per..... 2923.122 perhaps? Are both being ignored now and open carry permitted?

Werz

I want to get my facts 100% correct here as One of my friends who goes there was discussing this earlier today and i'd rather not tell him something incorrect and have him arrested. Not only is Open Carry a violation of OSU regulations, I believe it's also against state law as per..... 2923.122 perhaps? Are both being ignored now and open carry permitted?

R.C. 2901.01(C) As used in Title XXIX of the Revised Code:
(1) "School safety zone" consists of a school, school building, school premises, school activity, and school bus.
(2) "School," "school building," and "school premises" have the same meanings as in section 2925.01 of the Revised Code.

R.C. 2901.01(Q) "School" means any school operated by a board of education, any community school established under Chapter 3314. of the Revised Code, or any nonpublic school for which the state board of education prescribes minimum standards under section 3301.07 of the Revised Code, whether or not any instruction, extracurricular activities, or training provided by the school is being conducted at the time a criminal offense is committed.

State universities are not in that category. In any event, here is a picture of what is lawful:

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
This open carry walk on the Ohio State University campus was great. Wow, a lot of thumbs-up. One student said it's about time, there was a hold-up on campus just last week.

Another student mentioned that some burly bearded guy was walking around campus telling people they should be scared. I asked if he was and he said no. He thought carrying guns on the campus was pretty cool.

Our walk up High street and back down got a number of high fives and can we take your pictures.

All in all it was a great day.

Last edited:

JustaShooter

Carrying of a firearm on the OSU campus may be a violation of OSU student regulations, but that doesn't constrain anyone else. And it is not against the law - certainly not ORC 2923.122 as Werz pointed out.

If your friend is a student, he / she should think carefully before carrying on campus as the exemption allowed for this walk was specific to this walk and did not repeal the prohibition in the student regulations. Violating those regulations could very well get your friend expelled or otherwise punished.

Last edited:

Werz

Carrying of a firearm on the OSU campus may be a violation of OSU student regulations, but that doesn't constrain anyone else. And it is not against the law - certainly not ORC 2923.122 as Werz pointed out.

If your friend is a student, he / she should think carefully before carrying on campus as the exemption allowed for this walk was specific to this walk and did not repeal the prohibition in the student regulations. Violating those regulations could very well get your friend expelled or otherwise punished.
That is, indeed, a correct statement. It does not appear that any students were willing to participate yesterday, despite the assurances of The Ohio State University's General Counsel's Office.

rightwinglibertarian

That is, indeed, a correct statement. It does not appear that any students were willing to participate yesterday, despite the assurances of The Ohio State University's General Counsel's Office.

Thanks both. I have private posted to him on Facebook, linking this thread.

Brian D.

R.C. 2901.01(C) As used in Title XXIX of the Revised Code:
(1) "School safety zone" consists of a school, school building, school premises, school activity, and school bus.
(2) "School," "school building," and "school premises" have the same meanings as in section 2925.01 of the Revised Code.

R.C. 2901.01(Q) "School" means any school operated by a board of education, any community school established under Chapter 3314. of the Revised Code, or any nonpublic school for which the state board of education prescribes minimum standards under section 3301.07 of the Revised Code, whether or not any instruction, extracurricular activities, or training provided by the school is being conducted at the time a criminal offense is committed.

State universities are not in that category. In any event, here is a picture of what is lawful:

Thanks for the role you play in these events, Werz, both behind the scenes beforehand and behind the vidcam during.

flhrci

Glad you all made that happen. Wasn't able to go as I was getting a part-time job.

Anyway, I fly out of OSU airport occasionally and there is a sign on the main building door banning guns from all campus properties. I am surprised you all were allowed to do it.

Let me know when the next one is. I wanna do it as an alumni. :)

David

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Ohio Students for Concealed Carry Plans to Sue OSU - by Michael Newbern on September 10, 2012
Our interactions with President Gee, Chief Denton, other administrators, and the Board of Trustees confirm that they have no desire to follow law and adhere to the will of the people of Ohio.

Yet, a year and a half later and still no lawsuit, but an old fuddy-duddy and a few of his curmudgeons friends walked across campus with no objections by the OSU administration.

MyWifeSaidYes

As a 'non-affiliate', meaning you are not a student, employee or vendor, you can open carry on the open areas of a public college campus at any time.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
As a 'non-affiliate', meaning you are not a student, employee or vendor, you can open carry on the open areas of a public college campus at any time.

3345.27 Attendance by senior citizens.

(A) Each state university or college shall permit any person who is sixty years of age or older and who has resided in the state for at least one year to attend its courses and classes without charging that person a tuition or matriculation fee, provided the attendance is on a noncredit basis, is in courses where classroom space is available, and is approved by the instructors of the courses involved. The university or college may require payment of special fees, including any laboratory fees, if the fees are required of all students taking a course. Each university or college shall issue rules for determining the availability of classroom space and may issue such other rules as it considers necessary to implement this section, including rules exempting from the requirements of this section courses or classes for which special course or training prerequisites apply, in which physical demands upon students are inappropriate for imposition upon persons sixty years of age or older, or in which the number of participating regular students is insufficient to cover the university's or college's course-related expenses. A university or college also may extend to persons attending its courses and classes under this section any other student rights or privileges it considers appropriate.

Could I sign up for basket weaving and then Open carry my gun?

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Ohio Students for Concealed Carry Plans to Sue OSU - by Michael Newbern on September 10, 2012
Our interactions with President Gee, Chief Denton, other administrators, and the Board of Trustees confirm that they have no desire to follow law and adhere to the will of the people of Ohio.

Yet, a year and a half later and still no lawsuit, but an old fuddy-duddy and a few of his curmudgeons friends walked across campus with no objections by the OSU administration.
(my bold & underline above)

And yet Chief Denton AND the administration did just that, or the OSU walk wouldn't have happened as it did.

On to the next college!

Last edited: