• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone remember this guy?

TFred

The infamous "Cop heard round the world" was apparently here in Virginia a few years back... anyone know where he worked?

Video: Canton officer under investigation after concealed carry arrest

[...]

Harless, 45, an Ohio native and former Marine worked as a police officer in Virginia for four years before coming to Canton in 1996.

During his career he has earned several commendations.

One was from a Virginia judge, who praised the way Harless handled a situation involving a man with a gun, according to records in his city personnel file.

[...]​

On a side note, few are discussing this aspect of the case, but as has been occasionally discussed here before, the notion is that common law provides for the use of deadly force to protect one-self from unjustified threat of harm or death, even from a police officer... as noted in the blog I linked at the top, "The driver could have easily believed that officer Harless meant him harm, at which point violence could have ensued." With that video as evidence, and a proper explanation of common law, what jury of peers would convict a citizen for killing such a rogue LEO under those circumstances?

The best summary of this whole incident that I've seen yet is precisely this: This is the kind of cop that gets the good cops killed.

The whole world is watching this one. It better turn out right.

TFred

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Don't know where he worked here, I have been searching trying to find out. I am just glad he left our great Commonwealth. If this guy doesn't get fired, I would be really surprised. The story has now made national news.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
..... The whole world is watching this one. It better turn out right. TFred

You know it won't. The DA has already tried to bargain not prosecuting in exchange for an agreement not to sue.

Even if they hang the cop out to dry, there are problems that will not get addressed.

As for the question of where in Virginia did he work - I'd like to add the question of why/under what circumstances did he leave?

Did Virginia just dump its problem somewhere else? Or did he slip the trolley tracks afterwards?

stay safe.

user

Accomplished Advocate
You know it won't. The DA has already tried to bargain not prosecuting in exchange for an agreement not to sue.

Funny thing about that... someone I know attempted that approach in reverse, but the [*] prosecutor took it as a "threat" and declined the offer.

Did Virginia just dump its problem somewhere else? Or did he slip the trolley tracks afterwards?

I think that boolean expression evaluates to "true".

[*] "For thirty years, I've wanted to tell you exactly what I think of you, Elvira Gulch, but, now, being a Christian woman, I can't say it!"

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Don't know where he worked here,

He's not sissified enough to be NOVA so considering his mouth...I'd say Hanover or Newport News.
If he can read and write, Newport News....if not, Hanover.

Last edited:

GasCharged

I do have a question,
It is obvious about the CHP guy being bullied but, what about those other folks in the clip.
Was she a hooker, was he a pimp, or was the cop trying to get a rise from everybody thinking to make a collar?
Is this what cops do?
From what I have read here on this forum, cops/patrolman are not our friends, and I tend to agree.
I would also agree that this patrolman did not come from NoVa, after living in the Toano area for awhile.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Funny thing about that... someone I know attempted that approach in reverse, but the [*] prosecutor took it as a "threat" and declined the offer.

There is a difference between a defendant knowingly offering to give up one thing for the other and the prosecutor asking the accused to waive one right in order to avoid a trial that has little chance of bringing a sucessful guilty verdict. But in both cases the attorney is suggesting a strategy they think is in the best interest of their client.

It obviously behooves one to know the interest of the attorney and the benefit of following their suggestions. And of knowing/believing just how firm the ground is they and the client are standing on.

stay safe.

Repeater

Virginia judge?

Even if they hang the cop out to dry, there are problems that will not get addressed.

As for the question of where in Virginia did he work - I'd like to add the question of why/under what circumstances did he leave?

stay safe.

What to make of this:
During his career he has earned several commendations.

One was from a Virginia judge, who praised the way Harless handled a situation involving a man with a gun, according to records in his city personnel file.

As expected, the police Union issues a statement:
Bill Adams, president of the Canton Police Patrolmen’s Association, has watched the video of the June incident.

“Obviously whatever transpired on that video is an isolated incident,” Adams said. “It happened and it’s being handled properly right now and the chief is doing what he feels is necessary.”

Adams said calls involving guns can be emotional and dangerous situations, but he wasn’t condoning anything that might have happened on the recording.

“We’re a very well-trained and well-rounded police department that has solid officers that can make good, solid decisions every day,” he said. “You can’t (take) one incident like this and make it like every (officer) is out of control.”

Oh yeah?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I would disagree to that as a blanket statement

Other than the board policy of not upsetting our LEO friends...and the fact that it only includes 65% of LEA (and growing), why do you disagree Ed.
These incidents are getting more common all the time.

speed41ae

These incidents are getting more common all the time.

They might be more common, but I think that video cameras are helping to bring these "isolated incidents" into the light also. I am very surprised that there was not some kind of malfunction with that dash-cam.

TFred

They might be more common, but I think that video cameras are helping to bring these "isolated incidents" into the light also. I am very surprised that there was not some kind of malfunction with that dash-cam.
The only explanation I can think of for that is that the guy actually thought his behavior was OK! And that may be even a little bit worse than what he did in the first place!

TFred

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

This is a story about monsters, not a ferry tale.

Try not to get them confused.

stay safe.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
The only explanation I can think of for that is that the guy actually thought his behavior was OK! And that may be even a little bit worse than what he did in the first place!

TFred

I think TFred got it right. Many of today's cops are hired for their GPA's and spent most of their adolescent life stuffed in their school lockers or with a jock tied on their head while being pushed naked out of the locker room door.

The actions you see in the video are what I call the "I killed the bear" syndrome. He was in a safe situation, with the suspect cuffed and he wanted to act tough for the camera. If it hadn't made it online, he may have even made a copy to show the groupies.

Speaking of which, where's *******?

We all do it sometimes. He just took it way over the edge.

Last edited:

GasCharged

I'm sorry if I ruffled any feathers here.
This was just my opinion on what I see on the OC Forum, actually too much info, but good.
Also sorry to get folks off the thread in search of this guy when he was in VA.
What brought me here, awhile ago, was the Skidmark saga from the VCDL.
I'm glad I have been able to read and understand more about LEO's interaction with the American Subjects, oh strike that, American Citizens on CC and OC issues.
I do have humor too!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I'm sorry if I ruffled any feathers here.
This was just my opinion on what I see on the OC Forum, actually too much info, but good.
Also sorry to get folks off the thread in search of this guy when he was in VA.
What brought me here, awhile ago, was the Skidmark saga from the VCDL.
I'm glad I have been able to read and understand more about LEO's interaction with the American Subjects, oh strike that, American Citizens on CC and OC issues.
I do have humor too!

A. I didn't see any ruffled feathers.
B.We always get off thread. At least I didn't start on Dog Hunters.
C. Never be sorry!
:lol::lol::lol::lol: