• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Went shooting by the Carbonado river... Nice place!

Johnsmith1521

I recently found a place to shoot legally, I don't know the exact name of the place but it towards the Carbonado river pass Wilkeson... It's a nice place and you don't have to worry about other people so much... a lot of safe back stops and space to shoot clay's safely... I was told it was a National forest and not a state park... But anyways, thought I would share this spot... The sign says it all :banana::monkey

photo.jpg

1911er

Sign says it all

If you blow the sign up larger, the sign that has been posted ontop of the two red signs at the bottom says it all!!! the new (can not roam freely in our own country anymore )WDFW/DNR pass required.

Johnsmith1521

Directions to the place...

Ok guys, I will try my best to give good directions...

Get on Hwy 410 towards bonney lake, the follow Hwy 410 till you get to South Perrier Road, take a left... follow the road till it end where you can only take a right or a left... take a left on Hwy 165, a good land mark is a big blue auto shop... follow all the way threw Wilkinson and Carbonado... you'll be on Hwy 165 for a while... Once you get to a single road bridge (Fairfax bridge) stay to the left it will turn into Carbon River Road, then turns into the fairfax forest Road E. Now when you see the river on the side you're going the right way... take a left on the RD 7810... I hope this helps anyof you that want to go up there...

On the whole pass thing, I've never got one and my friend that showed me the spot said he's been going there for years and never got one either...

I'm going to Plan a shootout sometime in mid October where we can all convoy up there... More details to come...

deanf

Oh the road up to the Clipper Mine and Coplay Lake. Why didn't you say so!?

I don't think they can require a forest pass up there; I'm not aware of any developed sites that have picnic tables, trash, toilet, parking, interpretive signing and security. Each site requiring a pass must have all of these six amenities, according to the law authorizing the pass program.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
I don't think they can require a forest pass up there; I'm not aware of any developed sites that have picnic tables, trash, toilet, parking, interpretive signing and security. Each site requiring a pass must have all of these six amenities, according to the law authorizing the pass program.

You do need a pass as of August 1st. No amenities are required. Also you are supposed to write your license plate # on the pass, so technically you have to have a separate pass for each vehicle. I went shooting with a bunch of friends at the "pit" in Capitol Forest the other day, and all my friends got warning tickets.

deanf

You do need a pass as of August 1st. No amenities are required.

You're confusing the federal pass program and the state pass program. The two are not interchangeable. The area which is the subject of this thread is federal national forest.

ARADCOM

Free Pass!

If you blow the sign up larger, the sign that has been posted ontop of the two red signs at the bottom says it all!!! the new (can not roam freely in our own country anymore )WDFW/DNR pass required.

The sign is for the Northwest Forest Pass (Federal) which is different than the new state Discover Pass that is required for WDFW/DNR lands.

You can get a annual Northwest Forest Pass for FREE by volunteering for 2 days of trail work with Washington Trails Association, (http://www.wta.org/volunteer/trail-work-parties). I get one every year and the trail work is a nice way to get out and enjoy the outdoors and meet some nice people. I highly recommend it.

deanf

Next time you do some trail work, maybe you could ask a Forest Service person why signs indicating passes are required are posted at sites where, according to the law authorizing the pass program, no pass is required.

Or why they post signs at the beginning of roads hinting that a forest pass is required at all areas behind the sign, when that's not true. I personally think the forest supervisors are trying to hoodwink an unsuspecting public into buying a pass to recreate where none is required.

Sorry, bee in my bonnet. I don't use a pass. Will be so easy to get a citation dismissed in court, and fun.

ARADCOM

NWF pass

Next time you do some trail work, maybe you could ask a Forest Service person why signs indicating passes are required are posted at sites where, according to the law authorizing the pass program, no pass is required.

Or why they post signs at the beginning of roads hinting that a forest pass is required at all areas behind the sign, when that's not true. I personally think the forest supervisors are trying to hoodwink an unsuspecting public into buying a pass to recreate where none is required.

Sorry, bee in my bonnet. I don't use a pass. Will be so easy to get a citation dismissed in court, and fun.

When you volunteer with WTA you work with the WTA, there is normally no Forest Service person around.

A Northwest Forest Pass is required for for parking within a 1/4 mile of a trailhead. Honored at all Forest Service operated recreation sites in Washington and Oregon where a day use fee is required.

Allows the pass holder and any accompanying passengers in a private vehicle use of the recreation facilities.
Allows the pass holder use of recreation facilities at per-person sites. Other members in the party must pay the per-person fee.
Interchangeable between vehicles in the same household.

I personally just think you're confused about the different types of passes and where they are required. So I'm going to give you a pass on having such a bad attitude. Perhaps you might consider putting the bee in you bonnet aside and doing a little volunteer trail work just because it's fun and a nice way to help maintain the trails we use. You don't have to accept the free pass they'll want to give you.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Northwest forest pass, Discover pass, that's the problem. Too many passes, too much confusion. Most of the enforcers, are just as (if not more) confused as we are.

deanf

I personally just think you're confused about the different types of passes and where they are required.

Ah, no. The Forest Service created guidlines for forest supervisors to use when implementing the Federal Lands Recreation Enhancement Act The REA is the legislation that the Forest Pass program was born out of.

Speaking specifically of trailheads, the REA requires, and the guidelines make clear, that six "amenities" are required in order to mandate use of a forest pass at a particular site. These are: ​
(i)Designated developed parking.
(ii) A permanent toilet facility.
(iii) A permanent trash receptacle.
(iv) Interpretive sign, exhibit, or kiosk.
(v) Picnic tables.
(vi) Security services.

You see, it's not just "within 1/4 mile of a trailhead".

You have misinterpreted my desire to see the Forest Service comply with rules they asked for as a bad attitude.

Johnsmith1521

Ah, no. The Forest Service created guidlines for forest supervisors to use when implementing the Federal Lands Recreation Enhancement Act The REA is the legislation that the Forest Pass program was born out of.

Speaking specifically of trailheads, the REA requires, and the guidelines make clear, that six "amenities" are required in order to mandate use of a forest pass at a particular site. These are: ​

You have misinterpreted my desire to see the Forest Service comply with rules they asked for as a bad attitude.

This place doesn't have any of those amenities... I did see a building that looked like a bathroom but it's all messed up, I would rather use the bush than that place... No security whatsoever....

Last edited:

ARADCOM

Maybe I'm wrong? ;-)

OK, you've got me doing a little reading on this and I see your point.

However, the document you linked was from 2005 and NWF passes were authorized under the 1996 Recreation Fee Demonstration Program. So I guess I need to do a little research into the 1996 program.

END_THE_FED

The sign is for the Northwest Forest Pass (Federal) which is different than the new state Discover Pass that is required for WDFW/DNR lands.

You can get a annual Northwest Forest Pass for FREE by volunteering for 2 days of trail work with Washington Trails Association, (http://www.wta.org/volunteer/trail-work-parties). I get one every year and the trail work is a nice way to get out and enjoy the outdoors and meet some nice people. I highly recommend it.

You have to give two days of labor, that is not getting it for free. The pass sells for 30FRNs, it would be "cheaper" to do two days of work at a paying job, and buy the pass. Lets say during these two days of labor you work for 15 hours. That means they are only giving you 2 FRNs an hour for your labor.